PDA

View Full Version : Okay...so it's not the US Open...

rackmup
03-24-2002, 09:21 AM
...but yesterday, I won my first "local poolroom 9-ball tournament" since moving to Texas 3 weeks ago. Pocketed a whopping $50.00!

I was surprised by the payout...36 players and they paid to 5th place (1st=$50, 2nd=$45, 3rd=$30, 4th=$15 and 5th=$5.)

Win the same tourney in Phoenix, with the same number of players and entry fees and you go away with at least a "Benny."

Oh well...$50 is $50 and it paid for dinner at the OutBack last night (not including the beer.)

Regards,

Ken (humming "We are the Champions" by Queen but replacing "we" with "I"...pitiful, I know)

Gayle in MD
03-24-2002, 10:36 AM
Hi there, and a big congratulations! Always nice to hear about someone from "The Family" (CCB) winning! Keep up the good shooting!
Gayle in Md.

Troy
03-24-2002, 01:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> ...but yesterday, I won my first "local poolroom 9-ball tournament" since moving to Texas 3 weeks ago. Pocketed a whopping $50.00!

I was surprised by the payout...36 players and they paid to 5th place (1st=$50, 2nd=$45, 3rd=$30, 4th=$15 and 5th=$5.)

Win the same tourney in Phoenix, with the same number of players and entry fees and you go away with at least a "Benny."

Oh well...$50 is $50 and it paid for dinner at the OutBack last night (not including the beer.)

Regards,

Ken (humming "We are the Champions" by Queen but replacing "we" with "I"...pitiful, I know)

<hr></blockquote>

Let's see Ken --- $5 entry for 36 players = $180.
Paying 5 places as described adds up to $160. (5th thru 8th in single elim is all the same)
That must mean the took $20 for green fees... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

If I were TD, I'd have paid $70, $40, $20, $10, $5 for the same total money with green fees.

Troy... Being a TD, I see these things quickly.

Doctor_D
03-24-2002, 01:22 PM
Good afternoon:

And Congratulations on the victory.

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-24-2002, 01:26 PM
Did the significant other like the dinner?

rackmup
03-24-2002, 06:48 PM
Yes she did. She likes it when I win money, regardless of the amount.

But I knew that.

Regards,

Ken (keeps $20 in his wallet and claims it as "winnings" everytime he comes home from the pool room)

03-24-2002, 11:34 PM
Actually, I'd be really surprised to find a local weekly tournament in the DFW area that deducted "greens fees". I've been shooting in them around here for 15 years and haven't encountered one yet. Also, I'd say 90% are double elimination. I think something was fishy with the payout, or they charged some oddball amount for the entry.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr>

Let's see Ken --- $5 entry for 36 players = $180.
Paying 5 places as described adds up to $160. (5th thru 8th in single elim is all the same)
That must mean the took $20 for green fees... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

If I were TD, I'd have paid $70, $40, $20, $10, $5 for the same total money with green fees.

Troy... Being a TD, I see these things quickly. <hr></blockquote>

03-24-2002, 11:45 PM
Congratulations! Grinding your way through a field of 36 in an evening takes perseverence. Hopefully it also gave the new wife some respect for your dedication to your hobby!

Regarding the entry, if it was $5, then the pot was $180 and by your accounting it was not all paid out. But that aside, my guess is that this was not an "added money" tournament like most of those in Phoenix. Also it paid pretty deep for that small of a pot, so 1st wasn't that big.

About 1/3 to 1/2 of the weekly tourneys in the DFW area will be added money. Better payout but also better shooters, you work your way up. There's a subculture of "serious amateurs" who work the rounds of the weekly added-money tourneys around here. Did you ever try Goodtimes on a Saturday night? It's not too far from you. Not sure, but I think the house matches the pot there.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> ...but yesterday, I won my first "local poolroom 9-ball tournament" since moving to Texas 3 weeks ago. Pocketed a whopping $50.00!

Regards,

<hr></blockquote>

rackmup
03-25-2002, 07:30 AM
SpiderMan:

The entry was $6.00 plus a buck if you wanted in the "break pool." It is a "no money added" event.

It was fun. I was just shocked about the "grind" that resulted in only $50.

Side note:

Played the next day at Click's/Arlington and lost my first match, won my second and lost my third. My game resembles a rollercoaster ride at Six-Flags!

Regards,

Ken

rackmup
03-25-2002, 07:34 AM
As I understand it, part of the entry (including the break pool if it isn't won) goes toward a "sixteen week tournament."

You have to play in the weekly event at least four weeks to get into the "biggie" at the end of 16 weeks. I'm told it has been like this "forever."

Regards,

Ken (nothing fishy but the restroom DID smell funny)

ChrisW
03-25-2002, 10:24 AM
I just played in a rinky dink tourney with 13 people and got $50.
Payout was:
$50
$30
$20

But, this was a no entry fee with $100 added to build up the tourney. Most of the tourneys in this area $50 is still a low payout. My guess would be around $70 (average) for a tourney with at least 15 players.
Chris

03-25-2002, 11:16 AM
Good job. I think we all need wins like that every once in awhile. It might not have been the Mosconi Cup, but it Oh How SWEET it is...
"If winning wasn't everthing,they wouldn't keep score!"- Vince Lombardi

rackmup
03-25-2002, 11:24 AM
I'll tell you this; the best part was FEELING, all week, I was going to win it. My practice sessions were strong, my stroke was "on" and I just KNEW I would do well.

I only wish I knew how to "bottle" that feeling and take a swig of it before every match!

Regards,

Ken (was $50 bucks richer until the craving for the "Melbourne" at the OutBack Steakhouse possessed me)

03-25-2002, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> I'll tell you this; the best part was FEELING, all week, I was going to win it. My practice sessions were strong, my stroke was "on" and I just KNEW I would do well.

I only wish I knew how to "bottle" that feeling and take a swig of it before every match!

Regards,

Ken (was $50 bucks richer until the craving for the "Melbourne" at the OutBack Steakhouse possessed me) <hr></blockquote>
Ken,

"Bottling that feeling" would sell like Viagara in a retirement home! Seriously, I have a notebook where I try to jot down notes about my mechanics/mental frame of mind/diet when I am in the Zone that way when I need to hit the bottle, I can fix my problems quickly(sometimes).

E &gt; "Outhouse Steakhouse?! C'Mon Ken...