PDA

View Full Version : Smiles

snipershot
04-20-2003, 12:54 AM
That's something I don't do enough when I'm at the table shooting, I was just thinking about who has the best smile when their playing. My vote has to go to Efren here, nobody smiles more when they are playing, even when he misses he smiles where as other players would get mad or frustrated about it.

Another good smile is Nick Varner, at the border battle last year in a match against Cliff Thorburn he was running the table but kept giving himself horrible shape and when he went from the 8 ball to the 9 he left himself a tough cut. He stopped and looked up with a grin at the crowd and said "how can you end up in the wrong place nine times in a row" the crowd laughed with him (or at him? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif) and he made the shot anyways. Who do you think has the best smile in the game?

stick8
04-20-2003, 01:45 AM
With a dought Jennett LEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle
04-21-2003, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> nobody smiles more when they are playing, <hr /></blockquote>

I was just comp[laining about this over the weekend. I played a tourney last weekend, and most everybody is ssooooo serious...besides the facts that they can't be having any fun, it seems too stressful to be so serious, and if it were me, that level of seriousness would have a negative impact on my game.

I have fun when I play. Yes, I cuss or grunt at myself when I screw up, but a lot of the times, I follow it up with some funny/sarcastic remark, laugh, and move on.
I have fun, I joke, and I hope my opponent has a similar attitude, but that usually isnot the case. I'm not trying to break anyone's concentration, or shark, or anything like that. I am quiet when others are shooting...I just wish people really seemed to enjoy the game more, especially when the stakes are high.

John G
04-21-2003, 06:06 PM
Sounds like my own plight /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I love to have fun when I play. I talk to myself, the sweaters or any body else I can have fun with. I don't do it to shark or distract either and I don't talk while the other persons shooting. I'll it do for the cash or play/play all the same because when all said and done it's still a game and unless your betting high the outcome wont change the day. We still get to eat a meal and sleep in a bed /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

John G

snipershot
04-21-2003, 06:53 PM
I couldn't agree more, I love to have fun and joke while I'm playing, I wished the pros did this more to make matches a little more entertaining for the crowd. Last year at the Border Battle in Toronto the pros were smiling a ton something I had never seen before, Corey Duel and Paul Potier had a full blown conversation going (by pool terms) while they played and it was the most entertaining pool I've ever seen.

Win or lose no matter the stakes you gotta have fun while your playing, too many people take the game way too seriously and would enjoy the game more if they had a little fun.

Nostroke
04-21-2003, 07:15 PM
I think Allison has a great smile.

On the men's side, Tommy K is the most prolific smiler for sure but im kinda sick of it.

I do like Efren's smile when he misses. He also kinda scratches the back of his head but someone told me it is a Phillipino thing and he is really "taking the monkey off his back" Not sure about that one.

Nick Varner is great in my book. When he is knocked out of a tournament, he always stays around and sweats all the matches. He doesn't crash the VIP seats either.

Danny Basavich and Tony Robles are pretty good smilers too but i guess ill go w Efren and Allison as tops.

JohnnyP
04-21-2003, 09:25 PM
I was playing in the local tournament on Saturday, in a match against a much better player. We both joked around a lot.

After scooping the cue ball, I asked him what I was doing wrong, and he told me I moved my body before contact. Like I was lunging at it. I said "Fish lunge, don't they?"

Oh well. Guess you had to be there.