PDA

View Full Version : Ever play your spouse in a tournament?

MarkUrsel
04-20-2003, 07:39 PM
I was playing in a league singles tournament this weekend with my wife. Three rounds in, both of us on the "A" side, and we meet up with cash on the line.

I'm curious if any of you have been in the same situation, and what happened? One of my friends in the tournament looked at me and said "You're screwed. If you lose, you lose. If you win, you lose."

I let you know how it went later. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

shoot2thrill
04-20-2003, 08:13 PM
this happend to me once in a local tourney we was playing for third and I beat the pants off her LOL
NO really your friend is right your screwed!!!

pooljunkie73
04-20-2003, 08:28 PM
most women would rather have you play them straight up.if they found out you dumped they would hang you!

Karatemom
04-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Yes, I drew Chris one match, right off the bat, first round. He told me I got a bye, but he actually had forfeited instead. I was upset because he would have done better than I would have in the long run.

I'm interested to see what happened between you and your wife.

Heide

Popcorn
04-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Years ago they had some annual tournaments called the Miller Lite tournaments. You had to go through multi qualifiers to get to play in the $200,000 tournament in Vegas. The state wide winners got some cash plus an expense paid trip to play in the big tournament. I won a qualifier to go to the regional tournament in both 9-ball and the 8-ball. My wife won a qualifier in 8-ball. 128 players, and can you believe we will meet in the third round if we both keep winning. Comes the third round and we have to play. We played on the up and up and I won, but I know she was very disappointed. On a bar table playing 8-ball in a short race, I don't have to beat her, and she was capable of winning the tournament. I won both regional tournaments and went to Vegas, but did not win a nickel, just the trip. My wife however won $4000. playing the slots.

MarkUrsel
04-21-2003, 04:38 AM
Heide and junkie, you're right...we talked about it before the match, and many times in the past. She hates it when I dump games to her, even during practice or warm-up. We talked, and she asked me to play straight up. It was a handicapped tournament, and she got a pretty healthy spot.

I wound up beating her 5-2 and winning the tournament, she went to the B side and finished in 5-6th place. So far, she's only teased a bit about it in fun, "sure sure, first you put me to the B side, now you (fill in blank here), sniffle, sniffle".

It was her first tournament ever, so she did amazingly well. That made it a bit easier!

Voodoo Daddy
04-21-2003, 09:41 AM
I miss those days POPCORN, the winner of the qualifiers got a Muecci Tournament Champion cue. It was a good tourney at the end too, witnessed Gary "Pinky" Pinkowski take one down with his flawless stroke...

Michelle
04-21-2003, 12:02 PM
Well, I've never had that problem, b/c my b-f's usually aren't much of pool players, but....

I figure, the best thing to do in a money tournament is play it straight up, but agree to split the money the winner g ets...maybe not 50-50, but something reasonable. The only reason I say that is because it is very possible that the loser might only lose due to a change in their "head game", not necessarily losing oon purpose, but having subconscious issues.

If it is a qualifier situation, best man goes on.
If I played a spouse/b-f, and I knew he had a better shot of winning in Vegas than I, but he was having a bad day, I would probably dump...

Rod
04-21-2003, 01:53 PM
Well your probably screwed, it depends on attitude before the game.

One time I played my gf and got a comment, I'm going to kick your butt! While it may have been in jest it was her attitude. Her playing with a big handicap never got on the board. I said afterwards never bring a 22 to battle when there is heavy artillary on the other side! I wonder if she still carries that dinky 22. LOL

The same fate come to another well know local f/m player. Although not my gf it's attitude. Male or female don't tell me what your going to do.

Rod

dg-in-centralpa
04-21-2003, 03:42 PM
My spouse doesn't play but I did watch an interesting finals match between a husband and wife. They had just split up and were in the middle of a nasty divorce. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifTalk about tension, and no talking. She eventually beat him.