PDA

View Full Version : SOUNDS/Smells/Sardo/Sport/Brady B.

03-24-2002, 11:52 AM
Now you got me going. I think back, when I first played the game as a teenager. I loved the smell of the pool room, the talcum powder and the cloth on damp days. The room I grew up in had 16 Gold Crown Is', a soda machine, background elevator music and a front counter with candy. This was one room like many in the Chicago area where you could hear the sounds of balls going into the pockets, the missed shots that should of gone, the great shots that did and the sounds of the winners and the losers at the table. The sound of a wooden rack is an EXTREMELY important part of our game. That knocking noise of the balls against the rack tells us alot about what is going on/what has gone on/and the mood of that particular table. I feel it a crime to even think about taking away such an important aspect of the sport, whats next? BF

cheesemouse
03-24-2002, 12:23 PM
bigfoot,
You write very nicely. I agree with your view. Tell us more /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

JimS
03-24-2002, 12:32 PM
Bigfoot, that certainly took me back to the 50's and I couldn't agree more. You've discovered yet one more reason, as if it were needed, to not use the Sardo in any more mens tournaments. It aint pool!

Afterthought: table cloth is GREEN, chalk is BLUE, preferably Masters, but as has been said by hdj, players can bring their own.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-24-2002, 12:37 PM
The only "constant" is change. All of us deal with change in different ways.

There is nothing wrong with either choice.

Just don't mess with the rules.... One ball on the foot spot. Just like it is done Every Where in the Rest of the WORLD.

Troy
03-24-2002, 12:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> The only "constant" is change. All of us deal with change in different ways.

There is nothing wrong with either choice.

Just don't mess with the rules.... One ball on the foot spot. Just like it is done Every Where in the Rest of the WORLD.

<hr></blockquote>

If I remember correctly, the WPBA puts the 9-Ball on the spot when using the SARDINE GIZMO..... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

03-24-2002, 10:43 PM
Thanks for awakening some fond memories.

Doctor_D
03-27-2002, 07:10 AM
Good morning:

Your memory has served you well. Yes, in WPBA competitions, the 9 Ball is racked on the spot.

Dr. D.

03-27-2002, 08:06 AM
Got me going too.

I grew up in the old city of Elizabeth NJ (Newark Airport area). Two big pool halls within a few blocks.

One was new and modern "Hi Que".(all Brunswick) and the other was the old one,"A.B.M's" that my older brothers went to and my dad knew well. you entered through a wooden door in between stores went upstairs. This hall took up the entire second floor of all the stores. score wires over each table, old wooden everything in there. Tin ceilings. hanging green pull-chain lamps with giant Edison bulbs lighting the tables. There was for ever a big fat guy (clerk) who lived there that was always behind the candy and comic book counter. He never shot pool...he just sat back there on some sort of a chair you could not see because of his 4 or 5 hundred lbs hiding it. He just ate candy...occasionally looked at you, then the big wall clock, then back to his comic book. In that order. This place always a slight smell of those disks that are put in urinals. Nobody ever gave that smell a second thought ...it was supposed to be there. It was expected. It meant you were there! the place was open! You get to shoot pool now!

Drake
03-27-2002, 08:29 AM
I might have overlooked some of the posts. Did anyone mention Alternate Breaks?? I do believe that Cory would have won last year with alternate breaks...but not 11 to 0. 10 ball with the Sardo rack might just be the answer.

Nostroke
03-28-2002, 02:14 AM
Ten ball W Sardo the answer? I know what your saying but what about the tradition? How can we just abandon nine ball because someone invents a device and keeps it alive by giving it away and pool keeps taking it for reasons unknown ($$)?

What happens when Earl wins the US open 10 ball tournament? Is it his 6th US open or his first?