PDA

View Full Version : How to measure table speed

ras314
04-20-2003, 09:31 PM
Two parts to table speed, bed and rail. Any suggestions how to check these that will be consisent over time and different tables? Also different parts of the rail and bed.

I have used a ramp to roll the cb down, seems reliable if the same cb is always used. Vaguely recall an old pool hall owner that used to check his tables with a set of wooden wedges. Wedges were grouved for the cb to roll down and several different heights or angles.

Are there any standards for this? Besides the vague 4 rails mentioned in the BCA table specs.

04-20-2003, 11:31 PM
This may sound a little tounge-in-cheek, but what is the purpose of what you are wanting to do? I'm sitting here trying to imagine what the use would be to run a cueball down a grooved wedge to see how far it travels!?!

Quite a few years ago I saw a trick shot exhibition put on by Tom Rossman (Dr. Cue). I got to the pool hall early to get a good seat. Mr. Rossman unpacked his cues and his balls and proceded to the table. Once at the table he quickly ran his hand across the cloth, bounced a ball at medium speed off each rail, rolled the ball quickly around the table a few times in a five rail pattern, and voila! he was ready. He put on an exceptional show.

Pool, like golf, is a game involving muscle memory, i.e. its all done by "feel"......so my advice is get out your cue, some balls, and simply get a feel for the speed of the cloth and the liveliness of the rails.

ras314
04-21-2003, 08:46 AM
There is no question that playing on a table to get a "feel" for it is what counts. However, how do you convince anyone it is time to recover it? Or when the rails need repair/replacing? Or to quit using some bargin basement cloth?