PDA

View Full Version : Bondo in slate seems?

04-21-2003, 10:24 AM
What are the pros and cons of Bondo for slate seems? and whitch do you prefer Bondo,Wax or plaster? THANKS

Michelle
04-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Bondo works, but it is not really the best option....if you ever need to take those pieces of slate apart, it will be very difficult, and you take the chance of damaging the slate.

Most installers I know use wax, beeswax in particular.
You can get a good seal, a nice flat finish, and it is easy to pull apart when needed.

nAz
04-21-2003, 11:49 AM
I think its better for heated table such as 3C Billiards.

rackboyut
04-21-2003, 01:01 PM
I have been fixing and re-felting tables for about 5-6 years now, and i always use Bees wax. Its fast, its easy, and its cheap. If you are working on someone else's table you do not want to wait 2-3 hours to let things setup and harden,then take the time to sand them down. Bondo and Plaster get very messy when you start sanding.

TommyT
04-21-2003, 01:26 PM
Hey Naz, What's up with the old Cream lyrics. If you can remember the 60's you weren't really there.

TommyT~~can sometimes see thru the fog.

SecaucusFats
04-21-2003, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote EL'NINO:</font><hr> What are the pros and cons of Bondo for slate seems? and whitch do you prefer Bondo,Wax or plaster? THANKS <hr /></blockquote>

Bondo is not a good choice, it dries too hard and can make it very difficult if not impossible to break the table down without chipping a slate. Beeswax is OK and has been used by many table mechanics for a long, long time. Beeswax is not a good choice if your table is subject to extremes of temperature (particularly high temps) as this can lead to the wax getting soft and melting or shifting. One of the best table mechanics in my area swears by "Rock Hard" water putty, it comes apart easier than Bondo without chipping the slate and is more stable under extremes of temperature.

Fats

04-21-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the help folks. I wish I asked this question 3 days ago, BEFORE the guy put Bondo on my 20 some year old (dowled slate) GC3. Now I'm scared of what's gonna happen when I take it appart. THANKS AGAIN

ceebee
04-23-2003, 06:13 AM
...probably nothing! I had BONDO on my 100 year old RESTORED Pool Table seams &amp; when I broke the Table down for the move... it came apart effortlessly. The BONDO was applied to fill the crease, not used to bond the slates together. My slates were also doweled. Both BONDO &amp; BEESWAX are used by Pool Table Mechanics around the globe.