PDA

View Full Version : are my cues legal

04-21-2003, 10:43 AM
bought a cue lathe in mid febuary and since then i have been building jump cues from old bar cues. i have tried many of the new super hard tips and found them brittle (break or flake along the edge)i've also found many with holes or void in them when shaped.
recently i started using only a GRICE ferrule which i round off to the shape i want. AIN'T NO TIP JUST FERRULE. its amazing how well these jump. i've also used just this ferrule on break cues and the extra pop is incredible.
as of this weekend both my break cue & jump cue have been deemed illegal.
ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS OR OPINIONS?
by the way, even though they were deemed illegal everyone wants me to put this ferrule on either their jump or break cue including the guy who pushed the issue so hard.

WaltVA
04-21-2003, 10:55 AM
The BCA rules on equipment specify "The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed."

Walt in VA

pooltchr
04-21-2003, 12:46 PM
I believe the BCA may have changed their rules regarding this. The sledghammer jump break uses a resin tip similar to ferrule material, and I heard that the BCA recently determined that it was legal. I have fabricated a few tips from different materials, and my customers agree, the harder materials do jump like nothing else. One word of caution, make sure you chalk them well before every shot. They don't hold chalk as well as leather, but you can jump a ball a mile!