PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Threads on Shaft

gnef
04-22-2003, 12:44 PM
I just bought a scorpion cue as my first cue stick. It seemed pretty decent to me from the specs.

When i opened it up, and looked at the joint, which are called 'implex' i believe. The screw part from the butt, was metal, but it seems to me that the threads in the shaft are plastic? i would've expected to get one that had metal threads... should i be worried? did i get cheated? what do you guys think?

-Mel

Sid_Vicious
04-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Huebler used the same design, at least in their SPs. I owned 2 and I personally liked the snug fit when you screwed it together. I usually assembled it carefully so not to cross thread it though..sid

gnef
04-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the prompt response. What exactly are implex joints? just the metal and plastic? And how long should i expect this shaft to be 'good'? or is it based off how well i maintain it?

-Mel

Cueless Joey
04-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Implex is plastic. Delrin and phenolic are also used. They are much more durable.
If the factory used real good epoxy and you don't crooss thread the insert, it should last a long time.

gnef
04-22-2003, 04:46 PM
When you say 'much more durable' do you mean that implex is, or that delrin and phenolic are, or that implex contains delrin and phenolic? and are more durable compared to what?

Sorry if it seems i am attacking your post. I'm just trying to get a feel for the quality of the stick I bought. Considering i didn't do too much research into it, i guess this is what i get... heh. But considering this is a first stick, what do you guys think?

-Mel

Cueless Joey
04-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Implex is very soft. My guess is the factory used a molded one to save money. Delrin and phenolic or brass require more machining. I've seen a few of Huebler's plastic inserts break.

gnef
04-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Hmmmmmmmm. So basically, you are just saying i need to be very careful when assembling and disassembling the stick. If i were to get another shaft, would it retrofit, with the same taper, it think that is the correct term. But basically, if in the future i wanted a better shaft, could i buy one that had metal threads, and would math with the current butt i have, because i don't think i would like having a circular abutment at the joint on either side.

-Mel

Rod
04-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Mel,
Don't worry about the insert. If you treat your cue with a little respect it should last forever. Er well until you die that is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Yes you could have a brass insert put in a new shaft if the mfg will do it. If not another cue maker or repair service can make one. It's really not a big deal. Most of them with the insert are a 5/16 X 18 thread and if you keep the threads clean and the cue out of extreme temperatures it will last.

Rod

gnef
04-23-2003, 01:01 AM
Good deal. Thanks for the info. I guess i was just a bit disheartened at the plastic... But i guess it is acceptable. What do you guys think about the cue itself?

-Mel

Rich R.
04-23-2003, 04:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote gnef:</font><hr> I'm just trying to get a feel for the quality of the stick I bought. Considering i didn't do too much research into it, i guess this is what i get... heh. But considering this is a first stick, what do you guys think?
<hr /></blockquote>
Mel, don't worry about the plastic. As long as you take care of it, it will be fine.
As for the quality of the stick, you got what you paid for. That is not a bad thing. You are new to the game. Use this stick to learn. If you stay interested and your skill improves, you may want to buy a better stick, in the future. But don't worry about that for now. Just enjoy and learn. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
04-23-2003, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote gnef:</font><hr> When you say 'much more durable' do you mean that implex is, or that delrin and phenolic are, or that implex contains delrin and phenolic? and are more durable compared to what?
<hr /></blockquote>Implex is it's own thermoplastic. It's a brand name for a high-impact Acrylic (like Plexiglas, only better impact characteristics). Delrin is also a thermoplastic: you can remelt it. Don't remelt it, because it's got formaldehyde in it. It's a tough plastic, resistent to many oils, glue, and such. It's a natural lubricant and is used in many slide-bearing applications. Delrin in most applications is more durable than Implex. But, Implex has been used long enough to say that it has "passed the test of time" for a joint collar material.

Phenolic is a catch-all name for many of the phenol-formaldehyde-style thermoset plastics (you can't remelt it). Pool balls are made of cast phenolic resin. "Bakelite" is usually a form of laminated or compressed phenolic and fiber mix. The G10 Epoxy Pin (Congnescenti) is also a Phenolic (though it has no Phenol).

Some Phenolics Defined (http://www.lehighvalleyplastics.com/phenolic.htm)

Hope this somehow helps your pool game,

Fred

Nypro Inc. (http://www.Nypro.com)
The leading global provider of precision plastics injection molding and related manufacturing solutions

Eric.
04-23-2003, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
Egotist: a person more interested in himself than in me.

Edited by Fred Agnir (04/23/03 09:19 AM)

<hr /></blockquote>

There's nobody like that around here, right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric &gt;Hey, letgo my Ego