PDA

View Full Version : You Ever Leave A Cue Behind When You Leave?

03-24-2002, 12:33 PM
I wondered This morning while riding to breakfast whether I'd really broken down all my cues last night when packing the case and was nervous until I saw all three in the case. It just "seemed" like to my memory from last night that there wasn't enough lumber in the table for three cue, beside my opponent asked, "Do you have everything in there?" which I boasted that I did. Anyway I wondered what y'all stories were about lost/left cues were. Ya know it seems to be almost a certainty that your cue will NOT be behind the bar from a good samaratin someone turning it is. I once found a cue and case and searched the owner out through the regulars, but I knew it had to be someone that someone there knew. I'm no saint but I certainly wouldn't feel good getting a cue without at least trying to locate it's owner.

I also know a player who brought a highly decorated(inlays) old Palmer in some years back and he forgot it when he left. He realized it within a couple of hours after getting home and went back to seek it out, which BTW was daylight weekend timeframe, and he never saw nor heard of the cue again. I felt sorry for my friend, the cue was one of those that an aging player might have in the back of the closet and drags out rarely, he didn't have a feel for the value but misses the cue. It's anybody's guess as to what that thing might have been worth, but to him it was just a cue he'd always had over the years.

Any stories, even ones about finding cues???sid

Tom_In_Cincy
03-24-2002, 12:42 PM
The only time I ever left my cue behind, is when I lost it gambling. Played with a house cue for 10 years before finally getting a Hubler.

03-24-2002, 12:51 PM
well, now that you mention it, yes. has not happened in a long time but i've left a cue a couple of times, got it back both times. left my red circle c.b. a bunch of times. usually, they just put it in the office for me but a couple of times i had to search the room. always found it.

left a credit card once on a saturday nite and didn't notice it missing till monday morning. that waitress and her friends had a thousand-dollar sunday but the bank ate that. since then, i've been pretty good about checking everything.

dan...

cheesemouse
03-24-2002, 01:02 PM
One night I left the tavern after sampling the hops and playing some pool with some friends. We all stood in the parking lot shot'in the bull when one buddy pulls out the one hitter and passes it around. It was the stuff that makes you dumb as a rock. That night I came out of a dead sleep and sat bolt upright in bed ringing wet with sweat...horror of horrors I'd left my my cue case leaning against the bumper and drove off. Never seen it again /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

stickman
03-24-2002, 01:26 PM
One time. The owner knew who it belonged to and put it back for me.

Another time, I had loaned a stick to a friend. He needed a ride home. Yeah, it's a wonder he didn't want me to shoot for him too. LOL Anyway, when we walked to the truck, he stopped and was shooting the bull with some other players. Halfway home, he remembers that he laid the cue case on the hood of the truck. I never saw it then or ever again. Never loaned one again either.

I rarely ever drink these days, and find I'm not as forgetful. Nothing against drinking, I've enjoyed my share, it just messes with my dialysis.

Cuemage
03-24-2002, 05:16 PM
yep..left cue & case after I met an old friend from my earlier days...we left to go to another bar...I called & had manager hold cue for me (thankfully was still there)

The Cuemage

BLACKHEART
03-24-2002, 07:57 PM
I let avery good friend use one of my Qs for a money match. I watched for a while, then I joined a group of my teammates at the bar. 2 hours later I left with my case, thinking I had all of my Qs. 2 days later I opened my case to discover I was short one Q. Then, it dawned on me what I did. I had to wait til the bar opened that night to call. The bartender looked & found it behind the bar. I went right over & found my Q was turned in at closing time. The bartender told me they though it was just a cheap Q because it had a lot of "PLASTIC" in it. This was a Q I made for myself with 4 IVORY POINTS, 4 LARGE IVORY OVELS, 8 IVORY DIAMONDS, 16 TORQUOISE diamonds, IVORY FERRULE JOINT & BUTt CAP. I later sold that Q used for $1800. Was I lucky or what????????...JER

rackmup
03-24-2002, 09:05 PM
Have I ever left a "cue" behind? You bet I did and it turned out to be the most expensive "cue" ever!

I was out with my first wife (before we were married.) During our evening...probably our fifth or sixth month dating, practically every guy in the restaurant knew her. They appraoached our table in droves. I naively thought she was just "popular." A friend said..."Take a "cue" from me...a woman THAT popular will NEVER be faithful." I blew him off as bitter because I had a good looking gal and he didn't.

We were married a few months later and throughout the marriage she remained as popular as ever with the "old crowd" as well as the new people we met as a married couple, including a friendship she developed with my best friend AND employer.

To make a long story short, she left me for him three years into our marriage and the divorce COST ME DEARLY!

I should have taken the "cues" during our initial dating a little more seriously...instead, I left them behind in that restaurant. DAMMIT!

Regards,

Ken (never left a pool cue...wanted to leave one up side the head of my ex-best friend though)

03-24-2002, 09:39 PM
I let a friend use a hustler cue I had once, as I was leaving. He used it, then forgot about it, and left it in the rack with the other house cues. The next day, I had to walk around trying to spot it, until I saw someone using it. I asked to see the cue the guy was using, unscrewed it, said it was mine, and walked off.

After that, I burned my name inside the joint. Matter of fact, my name IS on it. But I don't loan any cues any more.

Troy
03-24-2002, 10:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: BLACKHEART:</font><hr> I let avery good friend use one of my Qs for a money match. I watched for a while, then I joined a group of my teammates at the bar. 2 hours later I left with my case, thinking I had all of my Qs. 2 days later I opened my case to discover I was short one Q. Then, it dawned on me what I did. I had to wait til the bar opened that night to call. The bartender looked &amp; found it behind the bar. I went right over &amp; found my Q was turned in at closing time. The bartender told me they though it was just a cheap Q because it had a lot of "PLASTIC" in it. This was a Q I made for myself with 4 IVORY POINTS, 4 LARGE IVORY OVELS, 8 IVORY DIAMONDS, 16 TORQUOISE diamonds, IVORY FERRULE JOINT &amp; BUTt CAP. I later sold that Q used for $1800. Was I lucky or what????????...JER <hr></blockquote>

See what happens when you use so much "plastic".....

Q-guy
03-24-2002, 10:22 PM
Twice, once leaning it against a wall outside me motel room as I was putting my stuff in the car. I had driven 50 miles before I realized I didn't have it. I rushed back and it was right where I left it. The other time I laid it on the roof of the car as I was putting my stuff in and drove away. I heard it hit the trunk as it fell off. I was doing about 35 when it hit the road. It was in a Fellini case and there was no damage at all except to the case. Both times this was the same cue. A Gina cue I paid $600. for, at a time when you could get a Joss for $120.00 with two shafts.

Q-guy
03-24-2002, 10:34 PM
Your easy, I never lone my cue. If someone is insulted because I say no, that is their problem. I am referring to my cue that I play with. I take very good care of my cue and don't want someone's sweaty hands on it. A player will not usually ask to borrow a cue. They know better.

Rod
03-24-2002, 11:26 PM
During the time I owned a pool room there were many cues left behind. Either me, my partner or regular customers would set them behind the counter. We always tried to get them back to their owners. I found it strange, many times no one ever come back to claim them. If you saw some of the cues, you would understand why. I doubt any cue was worth over $200, although that's not the point.

Have I forgot a cue? Yes to many times to remember.
I have an old Palmer that had some adventures. I left it several times. Several of us were outside the pool room, you know just a little b/s session. I left that cue on the luggage rack of my corvette. After some time I took off and headed home. The next morning I sprung up out of bed, knowing I left the cue on the luggage rack. I usually parked it in the garage, but not this time. I hot footed it outside to find the cue still resting there! Whew! The drive was 8 miles and that rack did not have any sides, other than a back stop. Pretty lucky - huh?

One night after leaving a bar, me and others were outside having a beer someone bought to go. I had my Palmer along with a Joss shaft that belonged to a friend, it needed a tip. During the b/s session, I set my cue down behind a parking block where I was sitting. Latter I went home "not thinking" and forgot the cue. Once again I sprung up the next morning, and knew I was dead meat, or at least my cue had a new owner. I rushed over there in the vette and just as I pulled up, the clean up guy was carrying a case in the place. I rushed in claimed the cue. WHEW!! My cue spent all night in the parcking lot, plus it rained. Pretty lucky huh!

When Sid mentioned an old palmer, it brought back memories.

My Schön cue had a good adventure also. It happened 3 or 4 years ago in Vegas, while playing the team event. We played some team, and won. Afterwards I just left and left the cue also. About 2 hours later, the light come on. Dam I did it again. Off I go to the main desk and explain the problem and give them my name. Our team and I showed up that night for another match. The cue still at large or Missing!
Just a few minutes before we started I heard my name announced, hum, I went up and identified my cue, YA-HOO!!
I offered the guy that found it, money etc, but he declined because it was his intention for the cue to go back to it's owner. I never forget that stuff, and will do the same in return for anyone. Pretty lucky huh!!

Is it luck or just doing the right thing?

Tommy_Davidson
03-28-2002, 03:08 AM
I have only left cues behind twice,one was my break cue,which I left on a table during a tournament when I went to eat down the street. We went back to the poolroom,and I carried my case in,and saw my break cue still sitting on the table,so I recovered it. The other time was much more excruciating. One afternoon,after an 8 hour session to cap a 16 hour stint in the poolroom,and still in the afterglow of hitting my highest gear ever,I left a CUSTOMERS Meucci behind. He had asked me to put on a new tip and clean the shaft 14 hours before,but I was so giddy that I totally forgot it,and didn't get back in the poolroom until about 11:00 that night. I told him when taking responsibility for his cue's well-being that it would be done the next night. He came in and asked me about it,and it dawned on me. I thought I was going to PUKE. I frantically went back to the spot I had placed it in,no dice. I asked the waitress if she had seen it,or anyone turned it in, no dice either. By then the customer caught on to what had happened. He was understandably upset,as the cue had been given to him by his recently deceased grandfather,which made the sting of losing a 400 dollar cue 400 times worse,then multiplied by another 400 due to the fact that it wasn't you that lost the cue,again multiplied by 400 for the simple fact that this was a customer's cue. Needless to say,I was in sad shape mentally as well as emotionally and financially. I offered to to buy the exact same model cue for him,or give him the full 400 dollar retail value,to pick out a cue of his choosing. He chose to pick his own cue. Since I didn't have the money to pay it all at once,I gave him 200,and told him it would be a week before I could get him paid in full. During this one week wait,the person who found the cue came into the same poolroom and tried to sell it,the owner recognized the cue,claimed it as stolen,called me,then called the rightful owner. I got there before he did,and was able to hand the cue back to the owner,who refunded my money. Since then,I always triple check to see if I have everything I came into a place with when I leave. Tommy D.

03-28-2002, 03:46 AM
You were unbelieveably lucky, JER.

Back in the days when Chelsea was a real pool room, I seemed to have misplaced my cue and case after a match one evening. I had paid the time and just finished playing so I knew it couldn't have gone that far. I looked all over the room, under the tables, in the ladies room...everywhere for about a half hour, and started to panic. That's when the house man came over to me laughing. He said he couldn't let this go on any longer. "Aha!" I said. "So you took my cue." He said, "No, I didn't, but you did. It's been on your shoulder the whole time."

Fran

MikeM
03-28-2002, 09:29 AM
Rod,

Remind me to never loan you my cue!

;&gt;)

MM

03-28-2002, 09:48 AM
Hey Ken,
Just teasing. I guess we all have dating war stories, makes good conversation if you're driving from AZ to TX!

stickman
03-28-2002, 10:21 AM
I'd bet you don't work for him anymore. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rod
03-28-2002, 01:36 PM
OK Mike, I won't ask. lol Its a wonder I own 1 cue let alone the few that I have today. I still have the first cue given to me, it was a new Willie Hoppe from the 30's. See I'm not that big of a risk! lol lol

phil in sofla
03-28-2002, 05:08 PM
My first cue was a Dufferin house cue made into a two piece, with a brass joint, all of $45 used with a soft case included.

Left it once in a legit pool hall where I was a regular. No problem, they knew it was mine, and held it there for my return on my 3x weekly schedule of playing there.

The second time I left it at a 4 am liquor bar (at about 4 am, of course). When I inquired of them a day or two later if it was being held in the back, I was told 'no,' and figured it was missing forever, but asked if I could look. I found it thrown or something into a heap in a distant corner and damaged, marked up around the joint and a little gouged around the butt, and dinged on the shaft. Didn't hurt the playability, and I was more happy to get it back than upset with the careless treatment (which in any case I couldn't pin on anyone in particular there).

Since then I've sold that one, bought my current stick, a Helmstedter, and haven't left it anywhere. (Stopped frequenting 4 am bars, perhaps not coincidentally!)

Although my 2nd CASE, including a spare shaft, shapers &amp; 3 Buddy Hall pool playing card series, and my pager got lifted by someone as I played one table away from where I'd left them (playing at that table first before moving over). And, turning my back has on more than one occasion had my cue taken to play with by a new arrival to the room, with them supposedly not noticing the joint, the inlays, the wrap, the points, etc., and thinking it was a house cue for general use (?!?!).

Nostroke
03-28-2002, 05:53 PM
I know of at least 3 people who had expensive cues out and out stolen that they later got back one way or the other including a szamboti original. For a while every cue i knew of that was stolen was recovered- unfortunately that is no longer the case

I have left them many times and always got them back as it was always my home room.

03-28-2002, 09:43 PM
I left several cute behinds behind in AZ...but in case she's lurking, none cuter than my new wife's!

Regards,

Ken (likes 'em small and petite)

03-28-2002, 09:53 PM
That outta be an appropriate story for "You Know You are Addicted To Pool When" thread, Fran. Give it time...it'll probably happen to me sometime between now and "The Grim Reaper" ;-) sid

03-28-2002, 09:53 PM
That outta be an appropriate story for "You Know You are Addicted To Pool When" thread, Fran. Give it time...it'll probably happen to me sometime between now and "The Grim Reaper" ;-) sid

Barbara
03-28-2002, 10:03 PM
That would be you!!

Damn Girl, are we gonna see ya next weekend at your home hall or what??

Barbara~~~can see Fran looking and looking...

03-28-2002, 10:06 PM
Talk about hittin' home, when I was dating an ex-wife(only wife) we went to Sierra Vista from Dallas to "meet the family." Well things went real shi!!y and we ended up leaving a couple days early and let me tell you, "There was not a single word to come out of my future bride's mouth all the way back to Dallas, NADA, NONE!" Do you know how far in time that drive is? Damn what a long ride that was....sid~~~learned just how stubborn a woman can be