PDA

View Full Version : my tip flew off!

Geoff
04-23-2003, 12:16 PM
got a brand new break cue, used it on Sat...wow, it felt great, last night, 2nd break of the night...tip goes flying off. I found the tip and its fine, can I re-apply it myself? I've heard I can use superglue? The tip seems VERY hard compared to my playing cue's le pro. Does this hardness effect how well the tip stays glued to the ferrule? I'd like to get this fixed today, so I can use it tonight, or do I need to let it set up for a day or more? I guess what Im asking is can I fix this or do I need to go to a shop? (never done any cue repairs beyond tip shaping before)

tateuts
04-23-2003, 01:43 PM
I use super glue gel. Get a fresh tube and make sure the glue part of the tip is roughed up with a file a little, and everything fits flat. If the tip is super hard, you can score 8 or 10 criss crossing glue lines in it with an exacto knife (careful). Then spread the glue evenly - I put a little glue on the ferrule and slide the tip around on it a bit to spread it evenly. You can hold it down with a rubber band tied around the shaft, 4 or 5 inches below the ferrule and stretched over the tip. It sets up very hard and pretty fast, but I would still give it a day before breaking. If you rough the tip, use super glue gel, and make sure the surfaces are properly mated, it won't come off again.

Fred Agnir
04-23-2003, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Geoff:</font><hr> I'd like to get this fixed today, so I can use it tonight, or do I need to let it set up for a day or more? I guess what Im asking is can I fix this or do I need to go to a shop? (never done any cue repairs beyond tip shaping before) <hr /></blockquote>If you've never done it, you should at least watch someone else do it first. If someone puts the tip on with Super Glue (Duro Gel or similar), you should be able to play with it by the time they're done shaping it. Lining up a pre-trimmed tip can be frustrating. Masking tape around the ferrule is a good idea (for a guide), but I've not been too successful (when comparing this to a newly applied and trimmed tip).

Good luck.

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks the Minnesota Fats book should be rewritten

Geoff
04-23-2003, 01:58 PM
thanks guys, I've seen it done, and Ive got a fresh tube of super glue, so Im going to give it a shot in about 30 minutes.

Fred Agnir
04-23-2003, 02:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Geoff:</font><hr> thanks guys, I've seen it done, and Ive got a fresh tube of super glue, so Im going to give it a shot in about 30 minutes. <hr /></blockquote>

Okay, then here's the quote from the guy who gave me the tip (punny, I know) about what to do about lining it up if the tip popped off. This assumes that you've made sure everything is flat by sanding the top of the ferrule FLAT and the bottom of the tip FLAT so that they mate. Don't do the criss/cross thing. I think that's passe' IMO.

Excerpt from Advice On How to Install Tips: MULLY from Japan (http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20011009202047.14725.00000620%40nso-fl.aol.com&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;output=gplain)

MULLY says:
" Cutting it down to size. I forgot to mention way up above that I like to use a 14mm tip on a 13mm shaft. Positioning a tip that is the same size as the ferrule is a bitch. Cutting it down is easy. If you feel that you must use a 13mm I suggest taking some scotch tape and wrapping it around the ferrule leaving a tiny lip around the top of the ferrule so the tip slides right into position. This also works if the tip comes off and you want to put it back on. "

It works pretty well since theoretically, the tip and ferrule are round and exactly sized line-to-line before it popped off. I'd rather put on a new tip, however. Bad karma and all that.

Fred

John G
04-23-2003, 03:24 PM
To align the tip tape 3 icecream stick tightly to the shaft every 120 degrees extending approx 1/8 inch above ferrule. If you apply a small amount of vaseline to the sticks they will remain glue free Good luck John G

04-24-2003, 04:19 AM
IMHO you (and everyone else) should go ahead and spend the 8-10 bucks to have it done at your local billiard store or poolroom equipped with a lathe.

If your cue is a lower-end cue then make sure to examine the end of the cue before reinstalling the tip. Every once in a while a cuemaker will let a cue slip by that has a ferrule that extends a 32nd of an inch or so past the wood tennon of the cue. This creates an air pocket that will cause your tip to come off.

If you positively must do it yourself, then "cross-hatch" the back of the tip by scraping it across some medium grit sandpaper in one direction, then rotate the tip 90 degrees and repeat the step.

Good luck! And on a side note, remember, on the break cue ball control, not power, should be your #1 concern.

Fred Agnir
04-24-2003, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote John G:</font><hr> To align the tip tape 3 icecream stick tightly to the shaft every 120 degrees extending approx 1/8 inch above ferrule. If you apply a small amount of vaseline to the sticks they will remain glue free Good luck John G <hr /></blockquote>From an engineering standpoint, I love this idea(or even from a non-engineering standpoint).

Fred &lt;~~~ going to buy some ice cream

Geoff
04-24-2003, 12:04 PM
Success!
I reinstalled it last night using the ice cream stick method, with fantastic results. Tried it this morning, good as new. Thanks for the help guys!