PDA

View Full Version : Funny Story "Beat The Yank"

NBC-BOB
04-23-2003, 01:29 PM
I was on vacation in Halifax, N.S. and asked my cousin if there was any place I could play pool.He said sure I'll take you over to the club! What club I asked? and he said the veterans club!Well it turned out that I was allowed in because I'm a veteran and a member of the VFW here in the states.Well this club had 6 tables and my cousin introduced me to a few people and we order a few beers and start playing.Now when I take my cue out of the case, they all say what is that, a baseball bat? I look at them and asked them what do you mean.There reply was it's so fat!The tip is 13mm pretty standard here in the states.Now I look at there cues and realize there all playing with snooker cues.
So we get into this discussion about cues and start playing 8 ball for beers.Now after several hours and a few beers I have the beers backed up at the bar and as new guys come they introduce me as the yank and now the name of the game is beat the yank.I'm sure glad my cousin was driving.I had a good time, met some nice people and woke up with a hang over. Oh well vacation is over!

pooltchr
04-23-2003, 02:19 PM
Great Story. I was in Halifax many years ago while in the service. Met a lot of great people while I was there, but may not be welcome in a couple of pool rooms where I left some of the regulars a bit lighter in the wallet.

Deeman
04-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Bob,

Loved that story. I think, after all, those are the times we really live for; not a killing in shark infected waters but a nice night where we sort of rule the roost and have fun with strangers.

Of all my pool memories, and there have been a few, the most memorable was going into a little bar in Grand Junction, Colorado with my new wife and having cowboys lined up along the bar with various cues, from Meucci's to Wal-mart specials. They sort of lined up in order of skill and I played them all. The best was maybe a 6 or 7 APA skill type and I just barely beat everyone one for a beer. I had twenty in the cooler in a couple of hours. They decided to go after someone who could "beat me" and , I swear, one guy brought back his Mom, the best in town. She must have been 70 and even wolfed at me a while but never really wanted to play and lose her "rep". After the owner partnered with me and we played everyone again, I was a local hero of sorts. I mean, this was a bar table and they had just never seen the level of pool I was playing and, for all they knew, I was the best that ever lived. In the end, it was a lot of fun, just like the game is supposed to be. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif