PDA

View Full Version : ESPN outdated?

q4summit
04-23-2003, 02:27 PM
Every day I check ESPN for pool.. I am watching 2000 artisist pool events and 2000 7ball/9ball games. Its 2003, what's the deal here? I thought ESPN covered all the new tournaments, ect ect?

Marc

eg8r
04-23-2003, 02:28 PM
No sir ESPN does not cover all events. I am pretty sure they only cover the events in which the promoter pays them to cover.

As far as playing old events...At least they are playing soemthing pool related.

eg8r

pooltchr
04-23-2003, 02:29 PM
That's typical. Ever noticed that even when they are showing "current" matches, you already know who won because you read it in BD last month?????????

Popcorn
04-23-2003, 04:00 PM
I would say ESPN regards pool as an exhibition sport like a rodeo or ice skating, it doesn't have to be timely, people like to watch, and don't actually care about the outcome. In other words, it doesn't matter who wins or when it was played. In fact, people will watch, even if they have seen it before. This would not be the case with, say a ball game. You don't see them showing old baseball games. Boxing is another filler for ESPN. They show matches by guys you never heard of that may have been three years ago. It doesn't matter, if you like boxing you will probably watch. I think pool has not shown it's self to be very important in any way. Check your local sports page, wire services don't even pick up the results of tournaments, not even the US Open the best known tournament of the year. I wish I knew how pool managed to paint itself into the corner it is in, or how to get it out. As many people as there is that play, It seems to exists in almost total obscurity. I would bet no non player could name one current professional. If you asked, they would probably say Minnesota Fats or Mosconi.

snipershot
04-23-2003, 04:17 PM
I don't even get ESPN so I don't get to watch alot of pool on T.V., at least you get to watch some form of pool. However, a newer sports station up here called sportsnet has been promoting the game a great deal recently, they showed alot of last years WPC, the Mosconi Cup, and they've been showing last years World Pool Masters the last two weeks. So I guess I do have a place to watch the newer tournaments, ESPN seems to have alot of pool on it though and that's better than nothing at all.

UWPoolGod
04-23-2003, 04:24 PM
I don't know, but if I see the same trick shot exhibition again I am going to snap. One time is fun, two is marginal, three is over the ravine...down the embankment...through the berry vines...down into the river where you get struck through by a log...

...man I guess I snapped already.

q4summit
04-23-2003, 11:02 PM
That's how I feel. I'm sick of seeing the tennesse 2 step by Massey 4 times now against Dr. Cue in the same 2000 Artistic Pool Championship for 25,000. And as great as trick shots are (I do love em), watching 2 hours worth of the same shot, 4 times, I could probably set up quite a few of them.

Actors/Actresses came together to form a very profitable and decent restaurant: planet hollywood. Why can't the top players, schools, sponsers come together and path the way of Pool into mainstream light? It might take 5 years but it would happen. It's money and the people you know. I'm sure the top 10 players, sponsers, schools in the world know a few people and could pitch fourth a few bucks to make it happen.

No?

Marc

04-24-2003, 09:51 AM
FYI,in reply,ESPN doesn't show ALL new tournaments but they DO show the taped for tv WPBA tournaments.stay down and keep your eye on the ball:)

eg8r
04-24-2003, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actors/Actresses came together to form a very profitable and decent restaurant: planet hollywood. <hr /></blockquote> I think I am missing something...When did Planet Hollywood become a profitable restaurant. They were operating in bankruptcy (or as close as possible) just a year or so ago.
[ QUOTE ]
Why can't the top players, schools, sponsers come together and path the way of Pool into mainstream light? <hr /></blockquote> I took this quote directly after the first quote so I am thinking you mean for some type of pool related restaurant. I am not trying to blow away any dreams but I don't think the American public really care about legendary pool players. I have been to league night before with friends and had trouble finding people there who knew of Effren and bustamante. The Subculture of pool is much smaller than Hollywoods. I would suggest a humble opening of some type of cheap affordable burger joint.

Another road block is capital. The hollywood stars that started Planet hollywood had plenty of money saved and plenty of real money reinforcement. Most of the people making any money as a pool player are generally gambling it all away the next night. Hardly any of the money is saved.

Sorry for the negative attitude. I really think the idea would be great but it would be a miracle.

eg8r

allenVA
04-24-2003, 03:33 PM
I think there needs to be serious improvements on ESPN.

There isn't ever even a commercial notifying that pool will be on.

It's what they call a "filler"

The Mosconi Cup was excellent. I think a company called Matchroom put it on. ESPN should take notes.