PDA

View Full Version : Practicing with a bridge

nAz
04-24-2003, 02:27 AM
Last night I was practicing some cut drill shots it was miserable, (could not make any) so I decided to practice using the Bridge since the night before I missed a crucial shot while using one. Anyway I guess I might have looked silly to the Yahoos around me but I managed to run about 28 balls (just threw out the balls no break shot) and made two long cut shots, three short ones and one difficult combo using the bridge only. I feel much more confident using a bridge now.
Anyway has anyone else practice this way and do you try any specific drills with one?

bluewolf
04-24-2003, 05:29 AM
In my lesson with Scott, he taught me how to use the mechanical bridge and told me to practice with it, so I would feel comfortable with it.

Laura

WesK
04-24-2003, 05:53 AM
I have done pretty much the same thing. It looks funny but it sure helped.

I see that you got tired of "sukiyaki".

wes

pooltchr
04-24-2003, 06:55 AM
It's just like any other aspect of the game. Practice bridge shots just like you practice rail shots, cut shots, etc until you are comfortable with it. It might look "funny", but not as funny as when you are playing a match, try to use the bridge and mis-cue!

Ralph S.
04-24-2003, 07:07 AM
Hi Naz. I use a bridge, crutch, or rake, whichever term you like to call it, fairly regularly. I will practice certain shots with the bridge mainly due to the fact some shots that are easily reachable for some just arent for me. The reason for that is a few dislocated shoulders over the years. Dont worry about what the others think, because most likely when they need to use that bridge they will most likely be uncomfortable and miss the shot. You however wont miss it nearly as often due to the practices using it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
04-24-2003, 07:09 AM
By the way, I forgot to mention it but if anyone that is learning to use a bridge might want to watch Karen Corr. She is one of the best out there today when it comes to bridge use.

Kato
04-24-2003, 07:29 AM
I don't practice with the rake but since I'm only 5'8" I use it a lot. I'm very comfy with it. People that don't use the rake are missing out an extremely important weapon.

Kato

Eric.
04-24-2003, 07:54 AM
I practice with it once in awhile(maybe not enough) /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I usually spend about 15 minutes shooting some balls into the upper 2 corner pockets only:

START(
%AO4H4%BS1L8%CL6N1%DO1J3%ED7D9%GN8_0%HM5K9%IQ4K7%J O3F0%OO0C9
%PZ0L7
)END

I also take a few shots shooting over another ball, and a few shots with a ball hanging in the pocket, trying to get position somewhere.

Eric

9 Ball Girl
04-24-2003, 08:09 AM
I hate using a bridge but I will use it when I know it's needed. I mean if I can stretch comfortably enough or maybe put my whole leg up on the table, then I'll do that. As far as using the bridge to shoot over other balls, I have my own mechanical bridge for that and it has different height levels than your standard house bridge. Anyway, I learned to take a little extra time when I'm using a bridge when I'm preparing for the shot.

Quick Story now that you mentioned the different names a bridge can go by: I was practicing at lunchtime once with a coworker who's a ball banger. I reached under the table to get the bridge because it was needed. My coworker laughs and says, "I can't believe you're going to use the beyotch stick to help you with that shot". I looked at him, raised my eyebrow, laughed and said, "and you'll be the beyotch who'll be racking the next game!"

04-24-2003, 08:20 AM
I deffisntly dont use the bridge that much and should practice it hmm thats a good idea for tonight!

rackboyut
04-24-2003, 08:51 AM
I make sure that atleast once during the semester that my students play a full hour using the bridge. It gets them used to playing with it, and lets them know that its there to use, not for hanging on the wall. You would be amazed at how much better you get by practicing with the bridge.

TomBrooklyn
04-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Hey Eric, How about putting the link to the Wei table in your post so I can check out your shot without having to jump through hoops and search for the Wei table first? Thanks.

TomBrooklyn
04-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the idea. I will spend some time just shooting every shot with the bridge, not even using a hand bridge. Thats a cool idea.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-24-2003, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>
....I have my own mechanical bridge for that and it has different height levels than your standard house bridge.

<font color="blue">Care to elaborate? What's it called? </font color>

....I looked at him, raised my eyebrow, laughed and said, "and you'll be the beyotch who'll be racking the next game!"

<font color="blue">You shoulda "beyotch-slapped" the fool. Probably more fun beating him at pool though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

9 Ball Girl
04-24-2003, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>
....I have my own mechanical bridge for that and it has different height levels than your standard house bridge.

<font color="blue">Care to elaborate? What's it called? </font color><hr /></blockquote>

This is it. I saw it called the Spinali Bridge head somewhere: http://www.poolndarts.com/images/products/thumb/3/thumb_39-175.jpg

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>....I looked at him, raised my eyebrow, laughed and said, "and you'll be the beyotch who'll be racking the next game!"

<font color="blue">You shoulda "beyotch-slapped" the fool. Probably more fun beating him at pool though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>
This is why I love you Wally! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-24-2003, 11:41 AM
-

nAz
04-24-2003, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WesK:</font><hr>.
I see that you got tired of "sukiyaki".
wes <hr /></blockquote>

Did not know you read Japanese /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nAz
04-24-2003, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> By the way, I forgot to mention it but if anyone that is learning to use a bridge might want to watch Karen Corr. She is one of the best out there today when it comes to bridge use. <hr /></blockquote>

I have tried to copy Allisons style that Snooker stance seems better when shotting with a bridge, next time i watch a WPBA match I'll look for Corr see how she uses one.

no more stretching for shots for me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
04-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Eric next time i will practice shooting over another I did it a couple of times last night, and I know that shot come up a lot when using a bridge.

Eric.
04-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Tom,

Why don't you save the link to your "Favorites" file on your browser?

I usually open another window and click the shortcut to open it. Just a thought...

Eric

TomBrooklyn
04-24-2003, 02:20 PM
Thats exactly where it is, Eric. I have to open a window, wait for it to open, open my favorites list, open the billiards folder, find the table out of a list of 50 items, and then click on it. Thats five clicks and waiting time. I think most readers would appreciate the poster making it possible for them to access the table with one click right in the post. Since the poster is already at the Wei table, and it is so easy for them to include the link in their post, why would they not extend this courtesy to the reader, and show the same respect for the readers time as the implied respect the reader shows to the poster by the taking the time to read his post.

Eric.
04-24-2003, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I have to open a window, wait for it to open, open my favorites list, open the billiards folder, find the table out of a list of 50 items, and then click on it. Thats five clicks and waiting time. <hr /></blockquote>

Tom /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

If you are using Internet Explorer, it is only one (1) click, the same as if the link was in the post.

When I use the WEI table, I click on 'Favorites' at the top of the screen, when it drops down, I move to 'Pool links', then look up to make sure no one is coming into my office /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, then click on WEI table (o.k., so it's 2 clicks). The link automatically opens in a new window.

Anyway, I will try to accomodate everyone and will try to put the link with my posts.

Hope all is well with you.

Eric

Rod
04-24-2003, 03:57 PM
Eric,
I think Tom's shorts are just a little tight! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I don't even have a favorite link to the wei. I have to open folders in my documents to find it. Yes it makes it easier for some but here is the most simple way.

You go to http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/download/pooltable2.exe and d/l the .exe file to your documents or where ever you choose. It is a self extracting file. Once extracted open pooltable2. Right click pooltable2html and create a short cut. Drag that short cut to the desktop, then drag and drop it in your quick launch on task bar below. Wala all it needs is one click to open. Hunting it down in your favorites is just unnessary steps. Should someone not include the link, who cares it's just one click below. I don't use the link anyway even if it is included. I can't include a link because, C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\My Documents\pooltable2_1\pooltable2.html obviously is not a good address.

We should include links but people are going to forget. Putting the wei in quick launch opens of course from windows. For dial up users this is much faster than opening another browser window. Believe me it will save you all a lot of time. It seems the issue is time and ease by Tom's quote,
Quote TomBrooklyn:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to open a window, wait for it to open, open my favorites list, open the billiards folder, find the table out of a list of 50 items, and then click on it. Thats five clicks and waiting time.
------------------------------------------------------------

WHY go through this when it's a quick mouse move to the quick launch? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif It might take 5 minutes to put it there but it is time well spent. If CCB would put a link to the table or at least a link to d/l the file it sure would simplify matters.
ok i'm done
Rod

sneakypapi
04-24-2003, 09:45 PM
I could just imagine 9ballgirl stretching over the table with one leg up LOL.

04-25-2003, 12:45 AM
Using a mechanical bridge is absolutely necessary if you wish to become a good shooter. It isn't too difficult.

Biggest mistake people make is to hold end of the bridge off the table. Normally, what you should do is lay the bridge on the table. In most cases, the butt end of the bridge will rest on the rail. Either way, you place your off-hand (left hand for right handed shooters) on the top of the bridge butt to steady it. In other words, press the butt of the bridge flat on the table and rail -- don't hold it up in the air. That way, the bridge will be stable and give you one less wobbly thing to work with.

Then hold your cue underhand. That is, cupped in your palm &amp; fingers like you were holding a steeltip dart (palm up).

Because you can't hold the cue tip firmly and only can glide it in the groove of the bridge, you will have more difficulty making shots requiring lots of english.

04-25-2003, 12:53 AM
On a side note regarding bridges, I once saw Mosconi give a charity demonstration. He was running continuous and came to a place where he needed the bridge.

He reached under the table to the hanger and pulled out the bridge that was supplied with the Brunswick table. It was some newfangled artsy design, not the regular ol' metal rake design. Instead it had one swoopy upturned channel that stuck up about 2 inches, apparently designed by an "artiste" who never played a single game of pool.

Mosconi looked at the thing, turned it this way and that to see if it was possible to actually make the thing work, then he gave a snort of disgust and tossed the thing the length of the room to clatter onto the floor.

He stretched out (being a small man) and made the shot anyway, continuing his run. He finally missed at about 400 or so.

Kato
04-25-2003, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SamW:</font><hr>Then hold your cue underhand. That is, cupped in your palm &amp; fingers like you were holding a steeltip dart (palm up)<hr /></blockquote>

You're palm is in the air? If I'm reading this correctly then that's the obvious reason why you can't spin the ball. I can draw or follow table lengths or spin it off rails. So I respectfully disagree with this advice. Allison Fisher and Karen Corr are both fantastic with the bridge and the palm is down.

Kato~~~has never held a steel tipped dart

Eric.
04-25-2003, 08:15 AM
Rod,

I'm gonna try downloading that. That's a great idea!

Eric

sliprock
04-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Good idea. I took another route though. After I created the shortcut, I went into the shortcut properties and "mapped" the shortcut to my F7 key. Now all I need to do is hit the F7 key and it launches the WEI table.

Rod
04-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Good idea, I've heard about mapping to keys. Unfortunately if I tried a map it could end up in the Grand Canyon. LOL

At any rate it has to be the simplest way of opening the table.

nAz
04-25-2003, 12:27 PM
I mapped mine about a year ago, best way to run that program

Rod
04-25-2003, 12:58 PM
well, send me your map. The only one I have is of Oklahoma. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

04-28-2003, 04:01 AM
Well, yes. For a beginner using the bridge, you'll find most of your shots are really long, and if you're not a tall person, it's a bit easier to hold the cue palm up. I agree that palm down is fine, too. Really important though to keep the bridge butt flat on the rail and not in the air, mmm?

c.holtz009
04-28-2003, 05:22 AM
I am waaay guilty of not practicing with a bridge. I am 6' 2" tall, and am comfortable shooting right or left handed, so I very seldom need to use the bridge, even on a 9' table. Maybe I should practice using it a little more often, so when I need to use it, it doesn't feel uncomfortable...

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 05:43 AM
Eric,

If you will just give the link once, I can put it in my favorites. I had to reformat and lost my favorites. I do not need to see it in every post, just once.

thanx

Laura