PDA

View Full Version : "Black Belt Billiards" Book Review

Wally_in_Cincy
04-24-2003, 11:23 AM
"Black Belt Billiards" Book Review

About 3 weeks ago I received my copy of "Black Belt Billiards", an instructional book by Steve Campana. IMO this book is a must-have, especially for a beginning to intermediate player. But if you think you are advanced enough that this book won't help you, you're probably wrong. IMO

The book is a series of shots and drills which, unlike other books, gives the user a way to quantify your proficiency and improvement. I, like most here, do drills and practice shots but I usually just do them until I feel comfortable with them or until I just give up. This book gives you quantifiable goals. I never realized the importance of these goals until now. Having an attainable goal helps you to push on in your mastery of these shots whereas in the past you might give up, move on to something else, and simply never master the shot you were practicing.

I recently took lessons from Scott Lee. Combining that with using the "Black Belt Billiards" book, and a more frequent practice schedule my game has inproved measurably. Playing 8-ball, I have run more racks in the last month than I had in the previous year.

So, my suggestion is "Buy it"

9 Ball Girl
04-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Wally, dude, you're preaching to the choir. My friend is going to order one too. There were about 3 others that I recommended the book to also and they now own a copy. I think Fran makes use of it for her students? Oh, yeah, and Tony R. loves it too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wendy<---proud owner of BBB /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Predator314
04-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Yup...the book kicks booty. Unfortunately...someone actually stole my copy. Do you believe that?

jjinfla
04-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi Wally, You must have been reading my mind. This morning as I was practicing I was thinking of posting about the book myself. I'm up to page 46/47 and have learned quite a bit already. It really makes you work and concentrate when you actually use targets for the CB and strive for excellence. The absolute zero tollerance stop shot is getting the best of me though. But in the short time that I had the book I can see where it is really helping me. Now if I can only learn how to control my draw. Why does it go two feet when I want one foot and one foot when I want two feet? Jake

pooltchr
04-24-2003, 12:16 PM
I just got my copy, and have to agree it is a great way to improve your skill level in a measurable way. <font color="red">INSTRUCTORS: </font color> it is a great tool for teaching as well. I may have to order a dozen more copies!

pooldaddy9
04-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Totally agree, 9-ball girl told me about it. Already playing a ball better.

Barbara
04-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Okay, I ordered it. I need something to jump start my enthusiasm to practice right now.

But on a fair note, Joe Tucker's got a "Garanteed Improvement" workshop kind of book that you keep score on yourself.

So I'm interested in how the two book concepts compare.

Barbara

c.holtz009
04-24-2003, 09:46 PM
I've done some searching on the net, however, I cannot seem to find it. Where can I order this book????
If someone were so kind as to point me in the right direction.....Thanx!

Phong_Do_Khoi
04-24-2003, 11:06 PM
Sounds like a good book. A quick search of the web didn't turn out any copies in a large bookstore, such as Amazon, but I believe this is the official website, and it would explain why it can't easily be bought

http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards/

Scott Lee
04-25-2003, 12:45 AM
I agree with Wally, that Steve's book is an excellent source of instructional information! It should be on every poolplayer's bookshelf! It's on MINE!

Scott Lee

Hopster
04-25-2003, 01:08 AM
Discovery:
Loss of pre-shot visualization, rhythm and focus - I was not visualizing the shot or results prior to assuming my stance and found my eyes were looking down at the general area of the object ball but were not zeroed in. &lt;--From the page advertising the book.

My game has picked up a lot lately because i feel i was doing the same thing, not zeroing in on the exact contact point on the OB. Just aiming at the general area and not concentrating was killing me. The guy has some other good things to say on the page so im going to take a shot and order it also. What the hell am i going to lose, $21 ? Thats only half the cost of a losing 2 team parlay so im getting a bargain. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

socrates
04-25-2003, 07:44 AM
Barbara:

I have heard a lot of favorable comments regarding Joe Tucker's material. Are you aware of a web page or phone number for Joe so I can obtain additional information on the materials and how to order?

jjinfla
04-25-2003, 07:56 AM
And Steve gives an acknowledgement to Chris and Heide for their help. Joe Tucker's book is good too. Not as many practice drills (15) and some I found pretty hard. Steve has about 52 drills in his book. I wish that Bert would put his 60 minute workout in book form. But rather than use a spiral notebook go to a looseleaf notebook. Then once the book is out he could come up with suplements every few months. Jay McVinney and Ray Martin had that concept but I guess they didn't get enough takers to make it worth while. I think if Jay and Ray had started out with a book of about a dozen drills and then kept selling supplements every few months they might have had better success. Jake

WaltVA
04-25-2003, 08:19 AM
Check out http://www.members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards

Walt in VA

socrates
04-25-2003, 10:35 AM
Wally, Wendy, Predator, Jake, Pooltchr, Scott and all thank you for your kind words.

I also would like to make a formal thank you in the forum to S "Pay Pal" Petty for all of her assistance and counsel in the development of the web page for the book and her insistence and assistance in adding the Pay Pal feature to the page.

This forum has provided me with an opportunity to enjoy the fellowship of pool playing enthusiast throughout the country and it has been a very enjoyable experience.

I hope to attend the US Open this year and look forward to an opportunity to meet some of the CCB members.

Pool - The Tao of the Spheres, what a great endeavor.

SPetty
04-25-2003, 09:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote socrates:</font><hr> I also would like to make a formal thank you in the forum to S "Pay Pal" Petty for all of her assistance and counsel in the development of the web page for the book and her insistence and assistance in adding the Pay Pal feature to the page.<hr /></blockquote>hahaha - thanks, Steve. Just because I'm too friggin' lazy to get out a checkbook any more... hahahaha

--SPayPal - has a ring to it, eh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

socrates
04-25-2003, 09:39 PM
Pay Pal Petty does have a good ring to it.

Perhaps it might become a new moniker.

Thanks again for all of your help.

landshark1002000
04-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Great reviews on your book, congratulations!

(Ted from Phoenix)

Phong_Do_Khoi
04-27-2003, 10:46 PM
What's the quality of the book like? Is it high-quality photocopies, glossy paper... etc?

(cover.. pages.... binding...)

Hopster
05-01-2003, 01:48 AM
Well i got my copy of Black belt billiards today. First off i would like to say thank you to Steve for quick speedy delivery, i wish everything i ever ordered got here half as fast.
Now after skimming it for about 2 hours i have this to say : If youre looking for a book that shows you how to make the MOST out of your practice time, this is for you. My practice time consisted of throwing the rack out, clearing the table and staring play. I think this book will change that for me. The easy format which it is set out on makes it easy to take with you, set on a table near the table youre playing on and just do the drills, opposed to other books that would be a pain in the ass to do this with.
As Wally said, this book gives you goals in the way that it is set up. It will get plenty of use from me starting tomorrow.
Great work Steve. Whens the video coming out ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aboo
05-01-2003, 09:43 AM
This thread was the deciding factor in my order of this book /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm hoping I like it as much as all here have. Steve contacted me to let me know it was shipped yesterday, so I'm waiting axiously with cue in hand! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Purpose in practise was the precise reason I need this book, this is very good to hear!

SrGoat
11-26-2003, 12:36 AM
very comprehensive book.....gets my personal thumbs up

RUNaRAK
11-26-2003, 06:32 AM
Great reviews, great book! You cannot go wrong no matter what your skill level!

c.holtz009
11-27-2003, 09:00 AM
I've had my copy for a while now, and my game has improved considerably. All I needed to do was set some realistic goals when I began, and tracked my results. When I look back now, I am pleased that some of the drills I found difficult at first, are simple for me now.
I'm not worried about having my book stolen, because at the time I got it,(I'm not sure about now) I had the only copy Steve had shipped to Canada.

Chris Cass
11-28-2003, 06:36 AM
It must have been a ninja. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~trouble maker... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PQQLK9
11-28-2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks to you Wally , i just ordered it. I guess this many CCB'ers can't be wrong. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
11-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Hi Nick,

I wish I would have known you wanted a copy. I see Steve' car in the parking lot all the time. I know he keeps a couple in the trunk and it wouldn't be a problem to pop that puppy open with a screwdriver. HAHAHAHA J/K, I really like Steve and besides, he is a Black Belt for real. LOL Hope you enjoy the book and I'd be willing to bet he'd sign it for you personally.

Regards,

C.C.~~Nick' dawg./ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, I love those penguins, that is so cool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato
11-28-2003, 01:37 PM
I e-mailed him today about getting my own autographed copy. I probably won't do any drills but what the heck, it'll be signed /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~would do a drill or two

Chris Cass
11-28-2003, 01:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Phong_Do_Khoi:</font><hr> What's the quality of the book like? Is it high-quality photocopies, glossy paper... etc?

(cover.. pages.... binding...) <hr /></blockquote>

Hi PDK,

Unfortunatly it not all that fancy stuff and I discussed this with Steve in the development stage and it was his first book. He told me he wanted to keep the costs down for the customer. So, he did the best thing he could and made it user friendly. Something you could take with you to the table and work on it.

A little insite about Steve. Steve' a CPA and also a qualified BCA instructor. He's a very quiet man and very classy. He enjoys the game tremendously. You would never think of him as a pool player if you'd met him. That's what's so great about this sport. The mold of the seady pool player is broken. This will continue and we will see hope for our sport, thanks to guys like Steve.

Regards,

C.C.

Kato
11-28-2003, 01:50 PM
I concur about Steve. Having the extreme pleasure of conversing with him in Virginia about a variety of topics at length left a lasting impression on me about his character and personality. No, he's not the loudest guy in town.................that's me. He is however just about the nicest.

Kato

Chris Cass
11-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Kato,

This is true but you are however in my family and you are the only one to get up at 6:15am to see us off. That is priceless.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.~~making room for Kato in the fridge.lol

Kato
11-28-2003, 02:41 PM
I just figured that I wasn't gonna see ya for a while and that was just another opportunity to spend some time with you guys.

Kato~~~only wakes up at 6 a.m. for my dog and the Cass's. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS. I only need 1 shelf. I hope Heide doesn't mind /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JimS
11-28-2003, 08:53 PM
I got my copy today and it looks like it's a winner. Needless to say, since I've had it all of about 3 hours, and I played pool 2.5 of those hours (and had supper somewhere in there), I've not had a lot of time to read it or put it into action but on first perusal it looks great.

MarkUrsel
11-29-2003, 04:40 PM
I got my copy yesterday. Headed to the pool hall today, and three hours later, my wife and I both went through all the drills in the white belt and yellow belt sections. I agree wholeheartedly that the book gives identifiable and quantifiable goals - which I've never really had before.

I'm looking forward to where this takes my game. My practise sessions have always been fairly unstructured and loose. If a shot was giving me troubles, I'd practise it a few times and then move on to something else, but never a "do this 10 times and record how you did" type of thing.

I'll follow up with a report in a few weeks of how it's going and if it's helping. It's practise - it has to help, right?

socrates
12-02-2003, 11:32 AM
Thanks again to Wally, Kato, Cassman, SPetty,Jake in Florida, Predator314 and to all the CCBers to numerous to mention for your continued support of this book.

The book was written as a labor of love, kind-of-my play book of drills and excercises that I found of benefit with a martial arts belt theme and a goal setting process which I am a big believer in.

I was discouraged when shipments dropped off considerably this summer. But I am pleased to let you know they have picked up again thanks to your kind words.

I am working through some personal challenges so not getting to play or post much at the current time. Wishing everyone the best and thanks again.

SEW KRATES

RUNaRAK
12-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Steve,

It is a great practice tool that I needed very much. I find it challenging &amp; it makes me keep my mind in the game with the goals that you have set out. The first few belts came pretty easily but am already finding some of the positions a good challenge and a wake up to my "true" skill level.
These drills can humble any player and bring them up a notch or two. I wish you the best and will keep you posted as to my improvement.

Peace,

Joe Koontz

PQQLK9
12-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Thanks Steve, mine just arrived.
Fast service...off to read it.

Barbara
12-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Steve,

PM me with your address and I'll send you a copy.

You have more drills than Joe does, but you both are on the same wavelength about instilling a desire and an inspiration to practice drills. Kudos!!

Barbara

SPetty
12-02-2003, 05:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Steve,

PM me with your address and I'll send you a copy. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Barbara, FYI Steve's address is shown on his web page...

I agree with you. I, too, have both books and like them both for very similar reasons.

Barbara
12-02-2003, 07:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Steve,

PM me with your address and I'll send you a copy. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Barbara, FYI Steve's address is shown on his web page...

I agree with you. I, too, have both books and like them both for very similar reasons.
<hr /></blockquote>

Gotcha, thanks!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

JimS
12-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Really enjoying this book!