PDA

View Full Version : weekly one pocket tournament

thepoolnerd
04-24-2003, 01:54 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of starting a weekly one pocket tournament locally. Maybe a race to 2, single elimination or race to one double elimination. I know a big reason that you never see something like this is because the length of some of the matches. I'd think even with the few number of games it would still be harder to luck by somebody than some of the race to 3 or 4 nine ball tourneys around here. I was thinking that to even out the break advantage the winner of the toss can choose to break but has to make 8 balls to the non breakers 7. Maybe play shorter games like 6-5. I would like to keep the format short (3-4 hours) because it'll be on a weeknight. Is there any 1 hole tournaments like this around your rooms? Any suggestions? I like all of the games. There are several 8 and 9 ball tourneys local and a 14.1 league, but no one pocket competitions.

04-24-2003, 09:01 PM
naw, we dont have anything like that in philly, but if we did i'd be the quick to join. i love one pocket & straight pool. i wish i had the money to own a poolhall.

NH_Steve
04-25-2003, 05:41 AM
They have had one for a few weeks at Brighton Billiards in Boston. It has been single elimination. It is handicapped, and you might find you need that to bring in various skill levels. They do the handicapping individually there, knowing pretty much all the players (about eight a week so far -- but Boston is not exactly a hotbed of One Pocket!).

I would suggest using a simple A-B-C-D system with a one ball differential to get started, although I'd say the better players would still be favored with that system. Having the lower seeded player go to 1, 2, or 3 balls less than the higher ranked player would help avoid longer games, too. Yet it might be enough to encourage players to enter that would definitely stay out if they had to compete even.

If you have any really strong players, you would need to have an A+, where they actually go to 9 or even 10 just to give everybody else a chance. You might not want to publicly post any player's handicaps though, players might be concerned about it knockin' their action /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif They used to post them at Chris's Billiards in Chicago, but the last time I was there I noticed the handicaps were down /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck, and go for it!!