PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying cheap custom cue

Deniel
04-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Yesterday I came across a guy who built his own custom cue, and he offered
me one for $50, he's new and all. The thing is, I haven't had much of
experience with cues, I always use cheap 2 piece house cues, and they're not
well maintained. So I was wondering if anyone can give me any pointer on
how to recognize a good one.. or at least what to avoid.

Like I said, I use house cues, and their weights, tips, balance, etc etc
keeps on changing (it seems I can't find the same cue twice LOL ), so I haven't really developed a sense of "feel" or
preference on cues. That concerns me a little, cause the guy is new and he
could be selling a mop stick for all I know ( he sounds nice on the phone,
but who knows), I'm arranging a meeting (hopefully tomorrow) so that I can see one or two of his work and shoot with it, any advice would be highly appreciated

04-24-2003, 08:26 PM
well, usually when i got to buy a new cue, i always check the straightness of the cue & the tip,ferrule,shaft.

the tip should be properly groomed

the ferrule should be a 14mm unless you like smaller, 14 are more durable

the shaft should be smooth, you should'nt be able to feel any ruffness in the shaft.

the forearm and butt of the shaft should be nicely and cleanly done, weather it be wrap or finished. but check the guys work, and to be truthfully honest with you, i've never heard of custom cue work for $50 EVER.....

look around online, and see what the asking price is for custom made cues. check his work, ask him how he does it, what type of machinery does he use, or is this hand crafted. and what type of wood is the cue made of. i could go on and on, shoot with the cue. and listen to how it hits the cue ball, feel the way it hits the cue ball, if you hear any deflection, shoot again and a couple of more times, and if you still hear it, DONT BUY THE CUE.

THAT'S THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE, BUT IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE QUESTION FEEL FREE TO REPLY.

UWPoolGod
04-24-2003, 08:27 PM
From my standpoint if he is selling you a custom cue for $50 it is probably just a house cue with a joint put in. If I was you I would work my way up the pool cue ladder. like I did. You could either buy a cheap production cue (McDermott/Meucci), then go up to a higher end production (Schon), then I got a custom to me sneaky pete from a well known maker, now my nice custom cue is being built as we speak.

If you really want my advice I would skip the first two options and go for option 3. Would cost around $200-$300. But you would not regret it.

I don't know what to tell you about not knowing what weight and length cue to get, you have to figure it out for yourself since everyone is different.

My $0.0199999

Todd

UWPoolGod
04-24-2003, 08:30 PM
I forgot to metion that this type of post has been rehashed at least once a week, most people probably won't reply. Go search the archives with "first cue" or "cheap cue" as a heading, you'll find all you need.

Todd

Deniel
04-24-2003, 08:38 PM
Thanks all for replying
I know some of you may be little skeptic about the $50 price tag, hell even I am skeptic ^__^ Maybe woods are cheaper here in Indonesia, I don't know ^__^. But the fact is, I'm new at pool, and I'm currently broke LOL so $50 sounds like a good investment right now.

Sid_Vicious
04-24-2003, 10:11 PM
If it plays for you, I can't see you'd do wrong for fifty. That's all I have, for what it's worth...sid

04-25-2003, 12:37 AM
The main difference between cheap cues and good ones is the wood. Cheap cues (1 or 2 piece) are long grain wood that warps easily. Better cues are made from a very tight grain wood such as birdseye maple or rosewood. The wood is cured for several years prior to manufacture.
Next is the tip. If you look at someone's good 2-piece cue, note how long the ferrule is compared to cheap house cues (ferrule is the long white sheath that hold the tip to the wood.
Third is the joint -- it must be deeply set into both butt and shaft or it will eventually work free and wobble.
In my opinion, the best brand of low price cue is the American McDermott. It is not a cheap cue -- it will cost a few hundred maybe, but the cheapest of the McDermott cues still have a quality wood, good tip, and excellent joint. I am sure there are other good brands, but I can personally attest to the fact that McDermott's lowest price cues are still very well made.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-26-2003, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SamW:</font><hr>
...American McDermott. It is not a cheap cue -- it will cost a few hundred maybe, but the cheapest of the McDermott cues still have a quality wood, good tip, and excellent joint. I am sure there are other good brands, but I can personally attest to the fact that McDermott's lowest price cues are still very well made.
<hr /></blockquote>

McDermott has some cues here for $125 list.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/mcdermottcue/genpoolcues.html

I believe they have recently lowered their prices.

Wally~~McDermott fan