View Full Version : Please recommend a durable tip shaper

02-17-2002, 01:19 PM
I like the shape my tip has after I use the Cue Cube, but two Triangle tips will wear all the grit out of the shaping side. Do you know of another shaper that gives a nickel shape and is durable? Thanks.

02-17-2002, 01:25 PM
A metal shaper tends to work the best for me.

The only problem is that the leather bits tend to build up in the shaper and form a dead area that won't shape anything (it actually ends up burnishing part of your cue tip).

If this happens clean out the metal shaper with water and dry it out real well before you continue use.


02-17-2002, 01:31 PM
Mastercue super tip tools are nice...40 -50 bucks
I have some...

02-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Sorry, no advice can be dispensed for a while. Everyone is in shock. Where did you come from anyway. Who are you? Wait till everyone leaves and then I will tell you anything you want to know. Tom

02-17-2002, 01:48 PM
Check around porper.com, and see if you like anything there.

02-17-2002, 06:21 PM
willards. I have mine for over 5 yrs already and still works as good as new

02-18-2002, 11:03 AM
I think that Dan Trogdon's shaper is the best buy for the buck. I even use it for cue repairs!

Give it a try.


02-19-2002, 12:21 AM
I don't think any tool can give you as good a shape as you can do with a piece of sand paper cupped in your fingers. It may take a little practice, but once you have the knack you can keep your tip in perfect shape. You should really learn how to do this. Forget most of the junk that they sale.

02-19-2002, 12:37 AM
Try www.trogdoncues.com (http://www.trogdoncues.com)

Regards, JimS

02-19-2002, 10:56 AM
Go to a hardware store. Buy a short piece of 1" outside diameter PVC pipe. Cut a 4-5" piece then saw in 1/2 lengthwise. Glue in a piece of sandpaper and you have a tip tool that will give you a perfect nickle radius. Been using the same one for two years.


02-19-2002, 11:16 AM
Q-guy is right ...sandpaper! It's cheap, and you can carry a small patch in your wallet for when you don't have your cue and you have to use the house cues

02-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Its called a "Williard Tip Shaper" it cost about $8 and you can order them from;


02-19-2002, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the useful suggestions. I'll give sandpaper a shot and see how I do with it, but I'd like to have one of Trogdon's shapers too.