PDA

View Full Version : CRACKED BALLS

NBC-BOB
04-25-2003, 08:22 AM
I don't recall ever seeing a ball crack, in all my years of playing.I understand that before the phenolic balls came about it was quite common to have the so called mudd balls crack.I've seen balls fly across the room,break the light, but never crack, at least under normal usage.Has anyone else seen a ball crack?

pooltchr
04-25-2003, 08:32 AM
I picked up a set at a flea market a few years ago. I have some of them in the showcase at my shop as a conversation piece amid the new cues. My guess is they are probably about 30 to 40 years old, and some are covered with cracks. Kinda reminds me of the balls we got with the old Sears table in my parents' basement when I was a kid.

UWPoolGod
04-25-2003, 08:53 AM
I was playing at my friends whose father had just bought a new Brunswick 8 footer. They came out with sticks, balls and the whole lot. We racked the first game, no problem. When I broke the second one, the force of the head ball being smashed into the two behind it made a quarter sized chip fly off of it. We called the place and they had sent out some cheap demo type plastic balls, so they sent out a new set of aramiths. Was funny with the stunned silence of seeing the chunk fly off the table though.

Other than that I have just seen the old faded clay type snooker sets, smaller, that have cracks running all through them. I have saw similar sets on ebay.

Would be funny to have a "trick" one ball that would *poof* and turn to dust like the trick golf balls. I thought the trick 8-ball was funny though LOL

Todd

Fred Agnir
04-25-2003, 09:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NBC-BOB:</font><hr> I don't recall ever seeing a ball crack, in all my years of playing.I understand that before the phenolic balls came about it was quite common to have the so called mudd balls crack.I've seen balls fly across the room,break the light, but never crack, at least under normal usage.Has anyone else seen a ball crack? <hr /></blockquote>
http://home.earthlink.net/~ohagnir/_uimages/Broken.jpg

Fred &lt;~~~ with four broken balls

SPetty
04-25-2003, 09:39 AM
Hi NBC-BOB,

Our own poster Fred Agnir has some really fun pics of broken balls:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ohagnir/_uimages/4Balls.jpg

I think he has stories behind them as well. Maybe he could be enticed to share them again?

Fred Agnir
04-25-2003, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Hi NBC-BOB,

Our own poster Fred Agnir has some really fun pics of broken balls:

I think he has stories behind them as well. Maybe he could be enticed to share them again?
<hr /></blockquote>Here's what I wrote way back when:

"As some of you may know, over the last several years, I've broken a few of my Belgian Premiere balls. I broke the 1 and the 3 on break shots, and the 5 ball on a simple cut shot. A few weeks ago, I called the place where I got the balls (Watson's of Dayton) and they sent me a new set, no questions asked. I have been told in the past that there was some poor manufacturing one year. Well to make a long story shorter, a few minutes ago I absolutely exploded the 11-ball. I have never heard of anybody even breaking one ball, let alone 4! And from two separate sets from two separate manufacturing years.

The 11-ball looks really cool, I'd have to say, but I can't stand the idea that everytime I mash the balls I might break one. And trust me and anyone I've played. I don't break them that hard. Anyone else ever break a ball?"

-----------------------------

Note:

I have sinced learned that the packaging looked like Belgian balls, but more than likely were cheap knockoffs. They're still cast phenolic, but close inspection shows that there really isn't much manufacturing process and quality control.

Fred &lt;~~~ uses Super Pros now

Rod
04-25-2003, 09:55 AM
I busted a one ball into at least 3 peices with my king kong break. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif LOL It was the one and only time I've ever seen it happen. I suspect it was one of these ball sets.
http://americanhistory.si.edu/archives/d8011.htm

Rod

Harold Acosta
04-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Fred, have you thought about filing this info with "Ripley's Believe it or not" or with the "Guiness Book of World Records"..? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm wondering if Fast Larry could have beaten this record... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No offense intended, Fred

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-25-2003, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Fred, have you thought about filing this info with "Ripley's Believe it or not" or with the "Guiness Book of World Records"..? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm wondering if Fast Larry could have beaten this record... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No offense intended, Fred

<hr /></blockquote>

Dear Harold,

I have been on Ripley's Believe it or Not more times in the last 2 years than any human being, I have been seen by over a billion people in 149 countries, yo mc fly knock knock, youse guys are just a bunch of bozos and old freddie-boy is just trying to steal my students, well I dont have time for youse guys anymore I'm leaving, I can't learn nuthin here, yo to the bird cage ferry boys why dont you just put on a dress, oh yeah ole freddy-boy would like that, when you bozos can make an 11-rail bank shot you put it on tape and see if anybody will buy it, oh yeah I can sling mud, you sling mud at me I sling mud at you, and Wonder Dog just rolls in it, but he can roll dem balls in, yo Adrian whatsa matta you turkeys want my secret book, I'm not gonna stick around and listen to you s** for brains

fast larry

=k=
04-25-2003, 12:45 PM
still laughing, wally, you been taking lessons from ken??

Eric.
04-25-2003, 01:36 PM
Or maybe it's 'smoking Crack' /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks for the laugh!

Eric &gt;cracking up...

c.holtz009
04-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Once when I was about 19, I was at the bar, and some guy broke, and a chip flew off the cueball, and hit the guy he was playing in the head. It was hilarious to us, but not to the guy that got hit!! Good thing he didn't get it in the eye!!