PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather play a 7 footer or 9 footer?

stickman
03-24-2002, 08:48 PM
I think the 9 footer is more difficult for me. Primarily, because I don't play on them enough. When I've played on them for a while, they tend to get better for me. The seven footer that I play on frequently has Simonis cloth and plays a lot like a larger table. By that I mean that you finesse the ball around, rather than horse it around like the average bar table. On the smaller table, I have more trouble moving the cue ball around and past the more concentrated balls. On the 9 footers, I have more trouble pocketing balls, and need to bare down much harder. Overall, I have the most difficulty with the 9 footers.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-24-2002, 10:29 PM
I like the 9 footers much better, but will compete on 7 footers. And do let it fool you, those players that play on 7 foot tables all the time can really play. Never take them lightly..

Rod
03-24-2002, 11:57 PM
I like the 9 footers best, but playing on a 7 footer is no problem either. Actually, years ago I liked the 12 footer as well as any table. We played some snooker, but Golf has to be one of my favorite games. People may think it's lag, make one hole at a time, slow game, and it can be at times.
Really it's more of a run out game, and it does depend on how many are playing.

Doctor_D
03-25-2002, 07:23 AM
Good morning:

I much prefer the 9' tables, although I have played on a few 10' tables, over the 7' bar boxes. I learned to play on the 7' tables, prior to taking lessons from Gerda, and have come to appreciate the skill and concentration necessary to perform well on the 9' tables. Every once in a while, for fun and to offer a little coaching to the girls at the Tavern who request it, I do play on the 7' tables. Wow, they seem so small after consistent play on the 9' and 10' tables.

Dr. D.

stickman
03-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Golf is a great game. A bunch of us used to play a couple nights a week. We'd start about 6:00 or 7:00 and play til midnight. For some stupid reason the local PH decided that there wasn't enough playing time on the table and took it out. Now we don't have a snooker table, and instead have a 9 footer that sits empty most of the time.

Rod
03-25-2002, 11:46 AM
Is that what they call progress? Sad to hear that stuff keeps happening. I would think in smaller areas such as the one you live in, that wouldn't happen. I know in larger towns there taken out because people can't make a ball on them. Then lack of play, as you mentioned is the reason.
If I had a regular golf game going, you can bet it would stay there. If all of the tables aren't being filled it would stay there also. Well look at it this way, at least it's not a bar box!
BTW was it a 12 footer?

MikeM
03-25-2002, 11:50 AM
I much prefer 9 footers. Just feels too cramped on a bar box.

cheesemouse
03-25-2002, 12:43 PM
Stickman/Rod,
In answer to your question; nine footers, I have a home table. I am forced to play on the 7 footers in most competitions as that is all there is in this area of the country(rural great plains; closest city of 100,000 is 120 miles). You folks living in urban/metropolitan areas of the country don't know how lucky you are when it comes to pool and the amenities that your location offers you. If I was a cityboy my game would be a ball stronger and I wouldn't be starved for action cause they would line-up to play me /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
You guys mention 'golf' and I have to say that I love that game not only the tactics but the social nature of the game. Sorry to say it is a dying out. $$$per square foot, you know /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif:(

03-25-2002, 01:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> I much prefer 9 footers. Just feels too cramped on a bar box. <hr></blockquote>

yep, that's pretty much my take on it although i probably should not be allowed an opinion. i can't remember the last time i played on a box. that, plus the fact that i've got a 9' table about 2 steps behind me right now.

i do know that i can usually (but not always) spot a box player at the local tourneys. just a different kind of stroke plus you can almost smell the fear when they look at a full table length shot. add in the need to make the c.b. travel long-long for shape and they get that 'deer-in-the-headlights look. kinda the way i would look on a box i suspect.

dan

cheesemouse
03-25-2002, 01:14 PM
houstondan,
You said "i do know that i can usually (but not always) spot a box player at the local tourneys" I'm just curios as to what the 'tell' is for you in spotting a box player??

For me it is: they seem to play more jack-ed up especially off the rail.

03-25-2002, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cheesemouse:</font><hr> houstondan,
You said "i do know that i can usually (but not always) spot a box player at the local tourneys" I'm just curios as to what the 'tell' is for you in spotting a box player??

For me it is: they seem to play more jack-ed up especially off the rail. <hr></blockquote>

i'd say a smaller stroke with more poking and less follow-thru. more topspin and less draw and the draw is less accurate. generally harder shooting with less finesse.

also when they complain that their quarters keep falling off the rail of the g.c.

it probably means i'm not a very good person but i find it entertaining as heck when i see some guy come into the room and he's walking around the table, round and round, lookin for where to insert the quarters.

almost as silly as i would look on a box.

dan

cheesemouse
03-25-2002, 02:02 PM
houstondan,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>it probably means i'm not a very good person but i find it entertaining as heck when i see some guy come into the room and he's walking around the table, round and round, lookin for where to insert the quarters<hr></blockquote>

Stort story: This was probably 1980(sure dates me) in Portland, Oregon. The place was 'The Hunt and Fish Tavern' it was late Sunday afternoon and the final match of a two day event was being played. Dan Louie vs Rich Gieler. There are atleast one hundred spectators all dead silent watching the play...a mexican looking guy walks in the front door, struting like a peacock, he walks up to the bar gets a beer, comes and stands right at the top of the steps that go down to pit where the final match was being played(this was the only table in use in the whole place, mind you), he pauses and then digs in his pocket and steps down and places his coin on the rail. I mean the place came apart. It was hilarious. One hundred people laughing full out and this guy don't know [censored] from shine-o-la. If that wasn't funny enough the guy gets pissed and start cussing the crowd in spanish. I mean it was too frigging much. I'm cracking up typing this. LOL

P.S. I often wonder what that guys side of the story is.

Rod
03-25-2002, 03:58 PM
Dan my take is they play c/b short rail position, as in shoot the o/b down the long rail. I see this in bars a lot, and it's a good way to miss balls on a 9 footer. Most always I want to shoot the o/b to the closest pocket.

I always got a big laugh, when people looked for that quarter slot. Rarely would they stop untill someone said get the balls at the counter. Too funny! Duh!

stickman
03-25-2002, 06:51 PM
It's been a year or so ago, but I believe it was a 10 footer. It was a great old table. A little off subject, but our PH lacks a lot. It is mostly lacking management. Nothing personal intended towards the management, but I remember when it was a thriving business. Now it's only a few regulars keeping the doors open. I wish to God I was in a financial position to make them an offer. I was a couple of years ago, but decided to build a new home. Shortly afterward, I became disabled. I'm well enough that I could run a pool hall. Damn hindsight strikes again.

stickman
03-25-2002, 06:55 PM
I would have loved to be there to see that. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Cuemage
03-25-2002, 07:21 PM
Cheese,
I've noticed that 9-foot regulars tend to have a longer, more fluid stroke on average than 7-foot shooters. I would imagine this lends itself to better movement of the cueball.
I shoot regularly on 9 footers...now it's hard to miss on a 7 footer...

The Cuemage

03-25-2002, 08:14 PM
Figures.. now we know why you spend so much time on CCB.. no place to play, no one to beat.. pitiful

stickman
03-25-2002, 08:17 PM
Cuemage, I noticed the same thing. I have to transition to the 9 footers by using a smoother longer stroke. On the bar boxes with the slow felt, I find myself trying to horse or muscle the ball around. I don't like that.

Rod
03-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Hmm lacking is not good. Is that Jim's place? How big is it tables etc, and what does he want for the joint? Just curious. I did some checking in Ottawa and they don't have a room there any more. I played at that room many times. It could be they don't want one either!

stickman
03-26-2002, 05:04 PM
It used to be Jim's place. The couple running it after Jim, split up and it's swapped between them once. Last I knew it was in the $50,000 range. Might be less now. It has a 7 footer at the front, near the bar, with Simonis that is a time table. This is the primary action table. Two older 9 footers in decent shape, time tables also, and probably seven or eight 7 foot coin ops. It's been a long time since any of the tables have been recovered, or even cleaned for that matter. The palm of my bridge hand proves to my wife that I indeed was at the pool hall. LOL

PoolFool
03-26-2002, 06:34 PM
Somebody has to vote for the 7ft. That would be me. Actually the size doesn't matter (I shot on a 9ft. by day and 7ft. at night) It's the locations. I like bars (don't drink) because of the challange table. When I go to a pool hall I play with one or two people all night. Boring. I love to have 10 - 15 people lined up at my favorite bar trying to get me off the table. We get some of the 9ft. players in from time to time. They don't understand why they get beat on that easy 7ft. table. I wish pool halls would have a challange table. I just don't enjoy shooting the same people over and over.

PoolFool

Alfie
03-28-2002, 04:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> I much prefer 9 footers. Just feels too cramped on a bar box. <hr></blockquote>
I agree, Mike. Actually I'd like to see smaller tables with smaller balls, kind of like the English thing. It wouldn't be cramped.

A---ready for some big changes in pocket billiards