PDA

View Full Version : Major mental error

Karatemom
04-25-2003, 02:26 PM
I shoot in a Tuesday night BCA 8 ball league. We play 5 games each, winner gets 10 points, loser gets the number of his balls pocketed per game.

On my 4th game, I broke and ran the table down to the 8 ball. It was a simple shot,

START(
%HH6I4%Ir8N0%JU7G5%K_4W8%LE0Y5%MI2X6%NE7S3%Od2I9%P U8M5%WI6J1
%XT8M3%eB4`6
)END

but the waitress walked in front of me so I backed off, took a deep breath, rechalked, and proeeded to shoot, and MISS! My opponent then ran his balls and won that game.

I have been trying to analyze what I could or should have done in that situation. Running a rack doesn't come often in my neck of the woods, so I'm sure that played a part in missing that crucial shot.

How does everyone else deal with this kind of situation, and are there any hints you could give to help with that awful feeling of missing a key or easy shot?

Heide

Michelle
04-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Sometimes it's not enough to stand up, breathe, and try again. If that waitress is still in your head, or the pressure just suddenly rose in your chest because you had to stand up and realize this was the make or break on your run, you have to completely clear your mind again before you shoot.

I will often stand up, and walk away, get a sip of soda, and go through my entire pre-shot routine, just to make sure that I am back to the point of being 100% focused on that shot.

Kato
04-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Tough break though it sounds like you did everything right. You stopped which is right because you would have missed. You went through your routine which is right. You just didn't execute. Best guess, you were still thinking about the waitress. How do you combat this?

You were obviously upset by the waitress so you were probably not thinking pool thoughts. Here would be what I would do. I don't just go through my routine, I go through my elongated routine. I take a walk around the table, pick up a chalk, sight the angle, then start my pre-shot routine. By then the thoughts should be out of my mind and the planets should be aligned. If they aren't, I fire and miss anyway. Destiny.

Looks like Michelle and I are on the same page.

Kato~~~actually made a legitimate pool post.

Aboo
04-25-2003, 02:53 PM
You could launch your pool cue across the room at the waitress, but that wouldn't do anything but make you feel better for about 2 minutes.

Everyone kind of has their own way of doing it, but just try to clear your mind. I talk to my pool cue and sometimes the cue ball. Low voice, eyes closed sometimes. Take deep breaths. I actually talk to my pool cue a lot, it calms me somehow and sometimes it freaks out my opponents lol

Rod
04-25-2003, 02:59 PM
Hi Heide,
Good to see you with a pool post again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm sure you being excited played it's part. You know it's to bad there wasn't video running so you could see what happened. Well maybe not but if Chris was there he could tell you.

My educated guess is you were a little to quick. Not so much with setting up to the shot but when you pulled the trigger. You likely made some sort of move during the stroke or a little body movement. Then for a brief moment lost eye contact with the o/b and oops the end rail.

The only thing I can say is make sure you have a plan before then give it your best stroke. We all have missed shots as simple. My advice is put it in the past. I might say to myself, what an idiot. After that it's history.
I have a friend that takes me through all of his dumb shots, he won't let them go. Some are just as simple as your diagram. What can I say, let it be a lesson and move on.

~~~ rod thinks Heide will be more focused next time. but will not be so focused or up tight that she lays down on the stroke

bell
04-25-2003, 03:59 PM
It looks like maybe you were streached on this shot and maybe should have thought about the bridge.

Barbara
04-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Heide,

That was a tough one! I miss a lot of those "small angle" shots, especially to my left (I'm a righty).

When you backed off and rechalked, did you clear your mind of EVERYTHING? Sometimes you have to totally refocus on the shot at hand - can't just pick it up where you left it, you know? Go through your whole pre-shot routine over again.

And what's up with the hubby? I miss your posts on the other side. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

Karatemom
04-25-2003, 04:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bell:</font><hr> It looks like maybe you were streached on this shot and maybe should have thought about the bridge. <hr /></blockquote>
No, this was on a bar box. There was another shot in another game though where I should have gotten a bridge, but got a lucky table roll and the 8 fell!

Heide

Karatemom
04-25-2003, 04:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Heide,

That was a tough one! I miss a lot of those "small angle" shots, especially to my left (I'm a righty).

When you backed off and rechalked, did you clear your mind of EVERYTHING? Sometimes you have to totally refocus on the shot at hand - can't just pick it up where you left it, you know? Go through your whole pre-shot routine over again.

And what's up with the hubby? I miss your posts on the other side. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, I didn't clear my mind like I should have. I remember seeing her sitting down and thinking that she's waiting on me before she gets up. I think everyone here is right - I rushed it in my head due to unnecessary pressure. I like the idea of a longer pre-shot routine, walking around the table and such. I don't like to hold up the game for very long, but I suppose if it means making the ball, I should take as much time as I need to, right?

I suppose I could post one more time over there about CC, for old time's sake.

Heide

snipershot
04-25-2003, 06:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>
but the waitress walked in front of me so I backed off, took a deep breath, rechalked, and proeeded to shoot, <hr /></blockquote>

It sounds like you took your time to refocus and clear your mind from the distraction that the waitress caused, the only way it might have been mental is if you got excited about shooting the 8 ball and running the table, I've had this happen to me alot, since you cleared your mind and focused on the shot it doesn't sound like a mental error, imo it was probably a mechanical error with your shot, wished we could've seen the shot than we would be able to detect exactly what went wrong.

Karatemom
04-25-2003, 07:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> wished we could've seen the shot than we would be able to detect exactly what went wrong. <hr /></blockquote>
Exactly why Chris needs to come back. My game is in dire need of help /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Heide

Tom_In_Cincy
04-25-2003, 09:14 PM
Heide,

Sometimes we just miss. Part of playing well is to Accept our rolls and go to the next game.

I saw Jim Rempe once (with ball in hand) jump the cue ball over the OB trying to execute a simple draw shot. The CB when into the corner pocket on the FLY.

Sometimes we just miss.