PDA

View Full Version : The 8 ball on the break

bluewolf
04-25-2003, 04:17 PM
I know some break from the side to get a percentage of getting the 8 in on the break. I have not yet mastered this so am still breaking from the head spot. Last night a bunch of us were foolin around and playing each other.

I broke and the 8 went in the corner. Is this a fluke? I was truly shocked.

Laura

Cueless Joey
04-25-2003, 04:22 PM
Making the 9 on the break is around 3.3% proposition at best.
Making the 8 on a bar box, a lot less imo.
Fluke? Yes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
04-25-2003, 04:33 PM
Always.

PS. If you haven't mastered the side break then why aren't you using it when you play?

UWPoolGod
04-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Definitiely a fluke. I played on a bar box the other day and made 4 8balls straight in the opposite side where it heads to in 15 breaks. So many different issues come into play...good/bad rack, english, hit spot. That was probably just a fluke day as well. My girlfriend even made one in the side hitting straight ahead LOL..got kicked in.

Todd

bluewolf
04-25-2003, 05:32 PM
When I break down the middle, the balls bust all over the place. I practice the side but am not consistent with it yet.

One of the 2s I was playing said 'do it again' LOL

Laura

Laura

Kato
04-26-2003, 07:49 AM
Isn't that how you develop consistency? By using it? For the record, I don't use the side break but know it. Using the side break I never made an 8 and using my current break I've never made an 8. Playing 9 ball I've made the 8 several times /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

04-26-2003, 08:09 AM
definately a fluke. nice when it happens though.

eg8r
04-26-2003, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I broke and the 8 went in the corner. Is this a fluke? I was truly shocked. <hr /></blockquote> I am not really sure about this post unless it is a means to just post. You answered the question yourself. You were shocked. What more evidence do you need. It never happens (so rare I say never) when you do it, and you were shocked.

How many times since the fluke have you been able to reproduce that same result? None? I guess yes it was a fluke.

eg8r

pooldaddy9
04-26-2003, 09:26 PM
I normally get a better break from the center as far as balls broke out but if nothing falls, it's over. I almost always make a ball when breaking from the side.

04-27-2003, 12:01 AM
well, for me, when ever i get the chance to play eight ball. I'll break from the right or left side of the table using dead center and i usually 4 out of 10 either get the 8 on the break or the eight on the break with the cb flying around the room or the 8 will sit right next to the side pocket, and that hurts. but that just the direction that i go.

snook
04-27-2003, 03:00 PM
i used to break from the side but just dont feel comfy doin it anymore for whatever reason break from the right center now

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 05:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I am not really sure about this post unless it is a means to just post. You answered the question yourself. You were shocked. What more evidence do you need. It never happens (so rare I say never) when you do it, and you were shocked.

How many times since the fluke have you been able to reproduce that same result? None? I guess yes it was a fluke.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

it does tell you how well I break and it is very consistent, thanks to scott.I dont always drop a ball but they get smashed up

Laura

phil in sofla
04-28-2003, 06:30 PM
I usually break 8-ball from the side, although I am reconsidering that somewhat. But I'm hitting the second ball in the rack from that side, not the head ball. Is that what you're talking about, or just hitting the head ball from a rail position?

When I'm hitting that 2nd ball break well, the 8 comes out of the rack very strongly, and usually toward the opposite side pocket. On some occasions, the 8 coming out like that will catch a carom and shoot back up table, toward the head (breaking) side corners. While I have made it in the head corners like that on a couple occasions, it is far less than how often it would go in the side pocket, and even that isn't that often (although I can get the 8 ball going towards the side pocket the majority of the time).

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 07:08 PM
After all of the replies, any one of the 15 could have dropped. It is just that in this ocassion, it was the 8 that dropped.

I am not consistent on the side break. I shoot from the head spot with a closed bridge. It is just a basic break with some body weight thrown in.

Laura

TomBrooklyn
04-29-2003, 12:00 PM
I definately have a better chance of making the eight ball with a side break hitting the second ball with low inside. I'd guess I can make it about once in thirty or forty tries versus once in a hundred to two hundred with a head ball break. For me, the eight usually comes towards the side pocket on the side I'm breaking from, occassionally to the other side and sometimes back towards the corner I'm breaking from, depending on if and how it gets kicked by other balls.

If I stroke just right with precision aim, english and power, I can feel it and usually know the eight ball is going to move a lot before the cue ball even hits the rack. I'm not consistant with this hit all the time, however, and if my aim or stroke is otherwise a little off, I will usually get a worse break than if I hit the head ball shooting from near the middle or halfway to the rail, so I vary which way I break depending on how I feel.

Last year, I made the eight twice in a row with this method on a 9 footer. About 10 years ago, I made the eight twice in three tries on a bar box in a place I had never played before or since with a head ball hit while drunk as a skunk.