PDA

View Full Version : What is your pre-shot routine?

rukiddingme
04-25-2003, 07:16 PM
inquiring minds want to know... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
ruk

04-26-2003, 05:07 AM
WOW..A LOT TO THINK ABOUT..THIS IS WHAT I TRY TO DO..I GET IN MY STANCE..FOOT POSITION..LEG.BUTT,,ARM,,HEAD,,BRIDGE HAND..<<POSITON,I PROBALLY LEFT OUT A FEW /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif..THEN I CALCULATE FOR PERMISSABLE ERROR..ESTIMATING CUT ANGLE,,DISTANCE..AND ADJUST FOR THE DEFLECTION PATH..USING ENGLISH AND STICK POSITION.ALL THE WHILE BEING CONCERNED ABOUT COLLISION-INDUCED THROW..THEN THE PRELIMARY STROKES..BACK STROKE..AIM ALIGNMENT.**THEN PULL THE TRIGGER** AND LET FLY.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif DOING MY FOLLOW THROUGH AND POST SHOT ROUTINE! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif>>AND USUALLY MISSING THE POCKET BY 2 OR 3 INCHES..LMAO.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pooltchr
04-26-2003, 06:48 AM
Great question! I start with my chalk in my hand, moving around the table and begin to visualize the shot. I like to "see" the cb rolling down to contact with the ob, visualize the ob traveling to the center of the pocket as well as the cb path and how it will line up for my next shot. Still chalking (I go through a LOT of chalk!) I move into line up the shot and mentally confirm my line to the aiming point. Put the chalk down, place my bridge hand on the table, look at the shot again. If I'm still in line, I lower down to the shooting position, give a couple of pre-strokes to make sure the tip is going to hit the cue where I need it to hit, shift my eyes to focus on the target, then set, draw back and pause a second, then finish the shot. I have to admit I am still working on making it all happen on every shot, and have noticed that most of my missed shots seem to follow the times when I don't use the full pre-shot routine.

Kato
04-26-2003, 08:24 AM
What's a pre-shot routine? I can tell you what my post shot routine is. Sitting down typically.

Kato~~~has never consistently been able to stick to a preshot routine.

rukiddingme
04-26-2003, 08:05 PM
I too use a lot of chalk and have a problem remembering the same routine on every shot. I have taken the habit of walking around the table on every shot so that I slow down...especially after making a couple of shots in a row...I tend to get excited and shoot too quickly.
ruk

Nick B
04-26-2003, 08:56 PM
If you want to see good mechanics...check these guys out!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/snooker/2968373.stm

No I don't want to start a Pool vs. Snooker debate.

Nick

pooldaddy9
04-26-2003, 09:09 PM
Mine is getting to the table.

Stretch
04-27-2003, 01:05 PM
I might not know frog [censored] from pea soup, but i do know this. Without a consistant preshot routine, you won't have consistant results. I don't want to get too wordy with this as everyone knows how bogged down one can get with describing an action....or several.

1 Survey the table, decide on next shot.
2 Stand behind ob to see contact point.
3 Step around to behind cb so that i'm directly faceing contact point and the line runs straight through cue ball to me.
4 Pause and reherse shot in mind while standing. Get a feel for it.
5 Step into position so that cue is an extension of the contact point to cue ball line.
6 Take a few strokes (to loosen up and reherse for the final back stroke)
7 Pause.....smooth back, lock eye on target, react to target, trust. St

Rod
04-27-2003, 01:34 PM
I line up carefully, slowly pull the cue back, and then hit the end rail! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r
04-27-2003, 01:43 PM
If there is anything I learned from this weekend, Stretch you said it best...[ QUOTE ]
Pause.....smooth back, lock eye on target, react to target, trust <hr /></blockquote> I highlighted trust because that is definitely a road block for myself (also my definition of target is the cb).

eg8r

Predator314
04-28-2003, 10:20 AM
I usually chalk the tip, adjust my hat if wearing one (My pool shooting hats all have blue chalk on the bill), get over the ball and visualize the shot. When I have done that I will really get down into my shooting position. If anything distracts me during this entire process, I will start from the beginning. Once in the shooting position, if struggling, I will remind myself to stick with the fundamentals (keep head down, stroke the cue, etc.). I think as little as possible while I'm in the shooting position. I do my thinking in my "pre-shooting" position. This is when I'm down on the ball, but not all the way down.

Scott Lee
04-28-2003, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> What's a pre-shot routine? I can tell you what my post shot routine is. Sitting down typically.

Kato~~~has never consistently been able to stick to a preshot routine. <hr /></blockquote>

RJ...You NEED a couple of hours with me, and I can cure that! LOL

Scott

Michelle
04-28-2003, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr>
1 Survey the table, decide on next shot.
2 Stand behind ob to see contact point.
3 Step around to behind cb so that i'm directly faceing contact point and the line runs straight through cue ball to me.
4 Pause and reherse shot in mind while standing. Get a feel for it.
5 Step into position so that cue is an extension of the contact point to cue ball line.
6 Take a few strokes (to loosen up and reherse for the final back stroke)
7 Pause.....smooth back, lock eye on target, react to target, trust. St

<hr /></blockquote>

And don't forget to chalk! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I usually chalk as I am walking to to my shot.
The other 7 steps sound jsut about like what I do, except it helps me to take a deep breath as I am stepping into my shot.