PDA

View Full Version : US Open CCB 2nd Annual Tournament

Tom_In_Cincy
04-26-2003, 09:12 AM
Kickoff memo for the CCB Tournament

I hope this addresses as many questions as possible. I would like to have some help on getting this orgainized for all the CCB members interested in playing in this year's tournament.

Thanks Wendy.. I knew I could count on you.. Its going to be tough for you to step up and replace Holly.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Comments, suggestions and any type of feedback will be appreciated.

Q-Masters Info (http://www.q-masters.com/business_hours.html)

I know.. its more than 5 month away, but,
I have contacted Q-Masters and am working on setting up the Tournament.

I requested the Tournament Room (same area as last year) from 10am to 4pm on the Saturday of the last weekend of the US Open tournament.

I would like to set up the rules for eligibility as soon as possible.

My suggestion for eligibiltity is the following: (open for discussion)

Current member of CCB with at least the title of "enthusist". This is a poster that has more than 200 posts. I would think that 5 months is a fair amout of time to post 40 posts a month.. don't you?
Some of us can do this in a week..

Format, 9 ball, Texas Express rules, Double Elimination, Race to 5 on the No-loss side, Race to 4 on the One-loss side.

This is a friendly gathering of the CCB members.

Entry fee= $20 plus Greens fees if applicable.
Payout will be 50% of the field.

<font color="blue"> What I know so far.

Q-Masters is under new management. Candy Rawson is listed as the NEW General Manager.

Currently the hours of operation are M-Sat 10am until 2am.
(this will probably change during the US Open week, as usual)

I have sent an email to Ms Lawson introducing myself and the CCB intentions of having their 2nd Annual tournament at Q-Masters.
</font color>

Kato
04-26-2003, 09:32 AM
All right Tom. Way to go!!!!!! I hope we can pull this off. That 200 post thing will kill our defending champion (ringer), Killer Break, I'm just teasing. I'm trying to line up a few guys from South Florida to make this trip. Phil from SoFla is interested as are a couple other non-CCB'ers.

Now then, I'll be there guaranteed Tom. I'm not sure what you need but if I can help just ask.

Kato

Deeman
04-26-2003, 09:35 AM
Tom,

Great work. I'll have to work at getting another 80 or so posts up in the next few months but can handle it.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-26-2003, 10:14 AM
DeeMan,
I am sure you can post at least that many in the next 5 months. Looking forward to meeting you and playing against you in VA.

socrates
04-26-2003, 10:15 AM
Tom, Wendy first of all thanks for Organizing the tournament.

My input on your suggested guidelines is in the area of number of posts. It appears to me that the restriction should be on length of time as a member e.g. must be registered on or before April 30, 2003 or May 30, 2003 etc.

I hope to attend the Open this year and if possible would love to play in the CCB tournament. I have been registered since July of 02 and currently have 137 posts. It is not likely I will make 60+ posts over the next several months.

I look forward to a chance to meet fellow CCB members and hopefully will be eligible to play in the tournament. If not eligible I would like to be the first to volunteer to be Wendy's caddy.

Keeping my fingers crossed the Open comes off again this year.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-26-2003, 10:20 AM
socrates,
It is open for discussion on the requirements for this tournamet.

I would vote for an either/or requirement. 200+ posts or over a year worth of posting. Seems fair to me.

Maybe it ought to be APA SL3 or above.. LOL.. sorry Laura, just kidding..

Wally_in_Cincy
04-26-2003, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> socrates,

I would vote for an either/or requirement. 200+ posts or over a year worth of posting. Seems fair to me.

Maybe it ought to be APA SL3 or above.. LOL.. sorry Laura, just kidding.. <hr /></blockquote>

She said she's gonna be a 5 by then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

HTH

Wally

04-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Sounds Cool!

9 Ball Girl
04-26-2003, 11:14 AM
Yes, it will be hard replacing Holly, but it's a dirty job and somebody's gotta do it! LOL Anything I can do from my end, let me know. I am expendable. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr Ingrate
04-26-2003, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Current member of CCB with at least the title of "enthusist". This is a poster that has more than 200 posts. I would think that 5 months is a fair amout of time to post 40 posts a month.. don't you? <hr /></blockquote>

Actually Tom, I don't. I read the board regularly and contribute when I think I have something to say, but, I would have to add the posts I made before the board switched to the new format to meet the 200 post requirement.

Would you, perhaps, consider longevity with the same reverence as verbosity?

eg8r
04-26-2003, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Current member of CCB with at least the title of "enthusist". This is a poster that has more than 200 posts. I would think that 5 months is a fair amout of time to post 40 posts a month <hr /></blockquote> Tom, I think this is a great idea, however there are consequences. One that pops in my mind is the degradation of the post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am not sure we can go as low as the Fast Larry saga, but I also would hate for people to post just to get a count. I believe this was something that we accused Laura of doing when she first got here.

Since I am sure this is not going to be a problem, I hope you guys have a great time. This will be yet another wonderful event I will miss. I am missing this one, in hopes that all will be well and I can make it to the Derby. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
04-26-2003, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote socrates:</font><hr> I look forward to a chance to meet fellow CCB members and hopefully will be eligible to play in the tournament. If not eligible I would like to be the first to volunteer to be Wendy's caddy. <hr /></blockquote>

Meeting the faces behind the posts is always fun. I'm looking forward to meeting some more! My caddy, huh? Warning: Anyone that travels with me is sure to have an adventure considering my past travel history! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
04-26-2003, 11:26 AM
Dave,

Quality posts like yours are always welcome and appreciated. You have done a lot of great things for this board, and if you come, you will be in the tournament, if I have anything to say about it..

Rich R.
04-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Tom, this is the best thing I have read on this side of the CCB in a while. I hope you are successful in obtaining the tables for the CCB tournament.

I have spoken to Candi, at Q-Masters, a couple of times, concerning my Open tickets. She seems to be very nice. Hopefully, she can help us out, however, I'm sure Barry will have to make the final decision.

I have received permission to tell you that Cathy (Mrs Rich R.) is volunteering to help out at the CCB tournament, as she did last year.
I also volunteer to do my part. I will bring Cathy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok, I'll do whatever else I can, also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
BTW, we will be there for the entire CCB tournament, this year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing every one again and having a great time.

Kato, how many days until the Open?????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kato
04-26-2003, 08:26 PM
Lots of days left. I'll count down around 100.

Kato~~~will be ready, able, and willing................at least to plunk down my money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooldaddy9
04-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Would love to play and meet everybody, not sure about the 200 post. Why not any ccb member? Sure gonna try. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cueball1950
04-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Thanks Tom.. The only one i have a problem with is the amount of posts. I know iller break personally and he is having a hard time with his computer and a few other things. He actually gave up playing for a few months. He is just starting to play again.. I will have to advise him on the amount of posts thing if i see him. I know he contacted the board admin cuz his sign in name did not work for awhile. But anyway. It might just be a good idea....again, thanks for taking the iniative..........Mike

Popcorn
04-27-2003, 02:06 AM
It is really a social thing for you all to get together and have some fun. I think the cash prize and $20. entry fee sort of spoils it and is what creates the problem. I think it is better if you kept it more of a fun thing and maybe had a few trophies or something and don't let it get so serious. Just my opinion.

9 Ball Girl
04-27-2003, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> It is really a social thing for you all to get together and have some fun. I think the cash prize and $20. entry fee sort of spoils it and is what creates the problem. I think it is better if you kept it more of a fun thing and maybe had a few trophies or something and don't let it get so serious. Just my opinion. <hr /></blockquote>

Talking from experience, as I was one of the players there last year, the cash thing didn't bother any of us and we all had fun. The cash involved just makes it a little more interesting and challenging, IMO. Also, there's a lot of action at QMasters after the US Open matches and a lot of us went there to sweat the matches and play each other. (Which reminds me, whatever happen to the picture that Kato took of Lester and Brady holding the cash?)

What I do remember, and it didn't bother me as much, was that Killer Break signed on to the CCB right when the CCB Tourney subject came up. He had I believe about 5 posts, played and won (good player!). That was back in 9/2002 and he's only posted I think once more since. Brady had the list of players online and KillerBreak wasn't the only nonregular CCBer listed on there. There were others too but they didn't show up but the complaint from some of the regular CCBers was that they didn't want someone who'd just join to come and "rob" the tourney. Whence Tom_in_Cincy's amount of posts requirement.

But, but but but, after all was said and done, we all yucked it up, drank it up, ate it up, Chawwwwwwwwlllked it up (you had to be there for that one!), and had a howling good time.

Wendy~~~if it ain't broke, don't fix it... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Karatemom
04-27-2003, 07:37 AM
After reading everyone's posts, I think if you combine the idea of a trophy prize instead of a cash payout with an unconditional entry, that would be best, IMO.

To determine what should be awarded, a poll should be set up for all CCB'ers to vote on. That way, everyone can voice their opinion and majority rules. Seems fair.

I say unconditional entry because I don't see why any CCB'er should not be allowed to play. I know some people that would get their feelings hurt because they haven't made enough posts. Also, if we were to make it there this year, Christ couldn't play and I know he's dying to beat up on Kato, lol.

So I guess what I'm saying in a nutshell, is "take a vote". See what the people want and go from there.

Let me know what the final decisions are. There's a couple up here who can give us a deal on trophies if it comes to that. Either way, we will do our best to make it there this year.

Heide ~ my .02 and anything we can do here to help, just ask

c.holtz009
04-27-2003, 08:12 AM
Just curious where this is being held exactly. I just may want to brave the border...

Rich R.
04-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Last year I don't believe the money made anyone more serious about playing. It appeared to me that everyone had a good time and it was a very friendly tournament.

With money only prizes, it kept things simple. Everyone paid their money prior to the tournament and the money was paid out at the end. No need for "ESCROW". /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Having trophies as prizes, adds some complications to the mix. Someone has to take their time to contact a dealer and have the trophies made up. They would also have to put up the money for the trophies, since advanced payment of entry fees would add another level of complications.

As in playing, I think we should keep it simple. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't think I'll comment, too much, about the number of posts required to enter the tournament. I really have mixed feelings about that.
On one hand, I would like to see a known CCB regular win.
On the other hand, I know there are many regulars out there, that lurk more than post.
I don't have an answer for this situation.

Karatemom
04-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Hi Rich. I see your point about the trophies. Didn't think about it that way. I think most of us are so easy-going that it doesn't really matter, just as long as we all have fun. This is one situation that can get complicated if we make it that way. I agree, keep it simple.

Heide

9 Ball Girl
04-27-2003, 10:05 AM
I don't know. I think some people might prefer to have the cash instead? I'd go for either one, IMO.

Aside from all of that, Heide, if you guys make it down to VA, that would be too cool. I am sooooooo looking forward to meeting the Cass clan! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
04-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Heide,

If you, Christ and Chris make it to the tournament, I will gladly give my spot to Christ.

Karatemom
04-27-2003, 11:12 AM
No way. I'll give him mine. He has a better chance of winning than I do, LOL.

That was a nice gesture, now if we can only make it there.

Heide

Tom_In_Cincy
04-27-2003, 11:16 AM
Here is the website for Q-Masters Pool Hall

http://www.q-masters.com/business_hours.html

Its about 4 miles from the Convention Center where the US Open is held.

The Promoter of the US Open, Barry Berman owns Q-Masters.

There is a map in the website for directions. Or, you can always use MapQuest for your own directions.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-27-2003, 11:26 AM
Popcorn,
Thanks. I appreciate your opinion and it does have lots of merit.

I don't have a problem doing the Prizes and/or Trophies.

This is a social getogether. The tournamet is just the means for the gathering. Or, we could just play games and have a few matches. This wouldn't be a bad idea either.

But, we are all pool players and playing pool and matching up is what we do.

Do we really need a tournament to have a successful gathering of CCBers?

Any CCBer can show up and play pool with the other CCBers. In fact, I am sure I will be at Q-Masters a lot of times during the week to play. Last Year, I was there at least twice prior to Saturday's event.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-27-2003, 11:31 AM
PoolDaddy9,
If you couldn't qualify for this year's CCB tournament, would it stop you from coming? All CCBers will be welcome.

There will be plenty of opportunities for all to play pool with fellow CCBers.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Rich,

Cathy was indeed very helpful last year. I would miss her enormous friendly smile is she didn't show.

Glad you two are going to make it again this year.

And Thanks Cathy for volunteering again.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-27-2003, 11:38 AM
eg8r,

This all might be moot if the field is limited to 32 players.

First come basis. With alternates. I will keep the signups listed as players commit to the tournament.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Here is a list of discussion points, please provide comments as you seem necessary;

1. Eligiblity:
a. anyone that is registered
b. anyone that is registered for more than a year
c. anyone that is registered for more than a year and has 200+ posts

2. Format of tournament
a. 9 ball TE rules, DE, race (as established)
b. single elimination race to one (everyone plays no limit)
c. Teams (blind draw)
d. no tournament, just a getogether (see next point)

3. Just a fun getogether, with door prizes and some games with booby prizes

4. Let's just all meet nightly and play. This way we can all sleep in on Saturday morning

5. Steaks cooked to your liking or do it yourself.

6. September is a long ways away. MAKE your plans NOW

7. From the limited number of responses. If we have 12 players show up, I am sure we can decide what we want to do while we are there.

8. Keeping track of who wants to play in the tournament, any volunteers?

9. Alternate plans if Q-masters won't deliver.

10. Anyone want to contact BD, AZBilliards, Inside Pool for sponsership offerings?

11. who votes to let my original proposal stand?

Rich R.
04-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Tom, I will be there for any or all of the above. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The tournament would be nice, but not necessary, as long as good people gather for some fun.

Rod
04-27-2003, 02:34 PM
If in fact money isn't an issue then It could be a real cheap tournament. Say $5 plus $2 or $3 going towards table time. You wouldn't need to be concerned with who played from the CCB, just that they are registerd. With a light payout you get people that are in it for the fun and camaraderie.

Partners is another option, do a blind draw based on the players ratings. lower rated players only draws for higher rated players. It could be separated into three groups if necessary. You sure wouldn't get anyone in it just for the money. LOL It could attract more players because someone may not feel they have a chance playing alone or in singles.

Just my 2 bits.

Rod

Ralph S.
04-27-2003, 02:53 PM
Hi all. I would like to add my opinions to this subject since it is in the open discussion stage. The number of posts is good, but maybe a little high. A good example is Dave Syrja. A better requirement is the time length of a CCB'er, as already mentioned. But, I think the best way would be to use both. Say like, 100 posts and 6 months time as a CCB member.

I know the s/l 3 thing was light hearted humor directed toward Laura. Good thing thats not the basis as I am an s/l zero. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I really want to attend but dont know if I can. If I do it will be a fly by night thing just for CCB tourney. I will have to fly in the night before and fly back out directly after the CCB event is over. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As far as the cash thing goes for prizes... Do both trophy and cash. Atleast it will help with a few of us CCB'ers expenses. Spoken like a true player huh. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MikeM
04-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Thanks for getting this started Tom. I'll definitely be there.

To answer your questions:

Eligibility: I like to 200 post idea, but with some flexibility. If you are our tournament director, we could give you absolute authority to make exceptions to the rules, for Christ, Socrates, Dave etc. Or you could delegate that role to someone else.

Format: Fine the way you proposed it originally.

Prizes: I really like the idea of no cash prizes. If we could come up with something appropriate that could be like the Stanley Cup - the winner keeps it for a year and brings it to next year's tournament for the next winner, that would be cool. I'd be happy to help with contacting sponsors for runner-up prizes, like shirts and the like.

Nightly Play: I'm all for it. Sleeping in too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steaks: RJ is NOT cooking my steak. His was still mooing last year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Planning: I'd be glad to help any way I can. If Qmasters doesn't come through I say we all enter the Open and use it as our CCB Tourney once we knock all those pesky pros out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike

Kato
04-27-2003, 05:43 PM
What's wrong with the way I cook steaks? I am man, the ultimate predator, I eat steak very rare, like caveman who just found fire.

Kato

cueball1950
04-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Hi again gang. About the trophies. I believe last year Brady said he was going to ask Billiards Digest provide some trophies for this years event. Also i will send him an email and find out what he can do about it.. Just my $.02 worth....................................Mike

pooldaddy9
04-27-2003, 07:46 PM
No, it wouldn't stop me from coming. I will be there. Which Q-Masters are you talking about? Barry always has driving directions in the program.

John in NH
04-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Hi Tom,

Congratulations in taking the lead in making the CCB 2nd annual tournament a happening this year. If your requirement of 200 posts holds true, I will not qualify for this year's event for the following reason, I've been a member of this board since April, 2002, and I currently have 92 posts, I expect to have approximately 132 posts when the CCB tournament rolls around, I will not increase my number of posts in order to qualify for the tournament, I believe that the quality of posts is much more important than the quantity, using your criteria I will not be eligible for the CCB tournament until the year 2004, will I at least be allowed to watch the tournament from the stands,
just kidding.

Best of Luck,

John

Ross
04-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Hi Tom,
I really think we could improve the social aspect by using a different tournament format than last year. Double-elimination has definite drawbacks for a tourney designed to be social as much as competitive. Below is a repost of what I said last year after the tournament (overly verbose as always):

"Hi All,

The CCB tournament was great but that doesn't mean we can't improve on it over time. I have a suggestion and I thought others might as well, so feel free to chime in on this thread.

I suggest we consider having some other format than double elimination (DE). The goal, I think, of these tourneys is mainly social - to meet and get to know other CCB'ers, with a competitive element added to spice it up. However, IMHO, DE is not the ideal format for this. <font color="blue"> For example, CCB'ers who lost their first two matches only got to play against two other CCB'ers. Their playing participation was over in an hour or two, and some left fairly early and we missed a chance to get to know them. On the other end, those that won all of their early matches ended up sitting for LONG periods of time while the one-loss side was worked through. </font color>

Ideally, all of us would get to play a number of other CCB'ers and play roughly an equal number of matches. If it could be worked out a round robin format would be ideal for this. For example, if there were 22 CCB'ers (as there were this time) we could split into 2 groups of 11. In each of these groups, each player could play the other 10 players in his/her group two games each. Standings would be based on total number of games won after the round robin was over. The top two finishers in each group could then enter a semifinal single-elimination playoff for the rest to watch and cheer and heckle as the spirit moves them.

I think the advantages of such a format are: everyone gets to play a similar number of games, everyone gets to play quite a few other CCB'ers, everyone will stay at least until the final playoffs, and finally, the playoffs might have some real excitement since there will be a good CCB crowd still around to watch. Maybe we could even get a friendly wager going (for drinks or something) between the two groups on whose representative would win the playoffs."

Eric seconded this suggestion at the time, <font color="blue"> with the additional idea of making it round-robin partners or or round-robin scotch doubles, with the partner assigments being a blind draw that would change every round or so. </font color>

This would ensure:

1. No ringer could lock the tournament up, since the random draw of partners would put a lot of randomness in the outcome.

2. The maximum amount of interaction pairings between CCB'ers. This would help avoid cliques of people which can happen in social gatherings. No one would leave early or have to sit for hours between matches. Everyone would play roughly the same amount.

3. It would not be everyman for himself, but rather a more social, cooperative affair. Still, I'm sure most of us would play competitively to try to win it.

4. More frivolity, because four people at a table tends to be more lively than two.

Just my suggestions.

I also vote for the following criteria for entering the tourney:

a) you have 50 or more posts (not all within the month prior to the tournament)

OR

b) you have been a regular contributer to CCB (even if infrequent) over a period of 6 months or more,

OR

c) you are a friend or relative of a regular poster (like Christ) but who is not an A player/ringer. Honor system applies to the latter.

Karatemom
04-27-2003, 09:29 PM
It is very sweet that you, and others, would make or "bend" the rules in order for Christ to play. However, I'm not positive we'll be able to make it. And if we do, I know he'll be happy just to be there. I was just joking about his "eligibility" earlier, but it really doesn't matter. If we get there, we're all more concerned about meeting everyone than anything else.

Heide

BillyRinNC
04-28-2003, 12:41 AM
Very good suggestions Ross. Improvement from year to year/ event to event is important. Some read very frequently but post infrequently unless there is valid point that has not already been made. There is a fair amount of redundancy at times. For example, I read everyday the posts on Chris's daily medical updates but only posted once and then only to thank his wife for keeping us updated.
Thanks,

BillyR in NC

Scott Lee
04-28-2003, 12:42 AM
I think Ross's suggestion of a round robin is great! That's the same way they are running the World Championships
in England...and historically, one of the best ways to determine the "best" player(s)! The added benefits of having more people play each other, and therefore gain a chance to meet and interact some, could be enormous! There are a lot of really friendly people here, who just happen to love pool! LOL I organize and run round robin tournaments all the time, and I don't think it will be difficult at all. I believe that Dave's software (davespooltools.com) has free, downloadable round-robin brackets, and a program to run the brackets on a laptop!

Good suggestions, imo!

Scott Lee

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 04:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> socrates,

Maybe it ought to be APA SL3 or above.. LOL.. sorry Laura, just kidding.. <hr /></blockquote>

That is okay Tom. I think that you might as well forget about sl, since I beat folks 2-3 levels above me in other games. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, when they beat me it is on the wire 80% of the time.

But I know that you are just kidding.

Laura

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 04:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr Ingrate:</font><hr>
Actually Tom, I don't. I read the board regularly and contribute when I think I have something to say, but, I would have to add the posts I made before the board switched to the new format to meet the 200 post requirement.

Would you, perhaps, consider longevity with the same reverence as verbosity? <hr /></blockquote>

I would do anything, well almost, for you baby. You are dabomb.

Laura

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 04:55 AM
I would like a medal instead LOL. The apa is kind of hilarious. Dont think that is a good gage. If scott comes before then or randy gs pool school is before then, I think that they would be better at estimating my ability. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 05:02 AM
I would like to play everybody. I beat ww before offhanded. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 05:36 AM
Tom,

Your email bounced. Please add ww and I to the ccb tournament.

Llaura

Deeman
04-28-2003, 05:46 AM
Tom,

Sign me up!

Lester
04-28-2003, 06:11 AM
Wendy, I am soooooo glad you remembered that photo. I had begun to think I had dreamed it. ha ha I don't remember how I "talked my way" into the photo, but I was so looking forward to seeing it. ***Lester***

cheesemouse
04-28-2003, 07:17 AM
After not having read all the post on this subject but kind of skimming them. I think there is a way to keep the non-ccb'ers from trying to rob the tournament and that is to donate the money to a local charity......JAT.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9 Ball Girl
04-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Tom, like I said, I'd help with everything. I would like to help in keeping track of who wants to play if that's ok with everyone. To start, why don't you guys that want to play PM me with the subject line Count Me In!. That'll save me time from opening up messages. So, are we going to keep it to a 32 player minimum with alternates? I'll post the list of players as I go along...

I am all for the Round Robin format. I think that is more advantageous for the CCBers. Would we be allowed to woof? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding. I'll only woof at Kato.

Meeting nightly is a great idea. Sleeping in on Saturday morning? What the hell is sleep?! LOL

9 Ball Girl
04-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Lester!!!! There's my boy! I hope you make it down this year. Remember the great seats we had? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wendy~~~Chawlllllk it up, Boy! One Time!

Eric.
04-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Hi Tom,

After reading everyones posts, here's my thoughts(one mans opinion):

-Round robin partners(thanks Ross) or Scotch doubles if we have a large field. Use a blind draw for partners each round.

-Eligibility; anyone that has contributed/posted in the past. If someone questions the players "eligibility", he/she must have 2 known posters vouch for them. I think we all know who is for real and who is there to cover expenses.

-Keep First prize at $150. I think someone metioned that if the prize fund is minimal, then the money won't become an issue. Maybe we can pay dwon more places if you have a large field or buy a round of drinks with the money...

-The tourney format you suggested sounds good

I'm going. Mark me down for a spot please /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif and I'll do whatever to help this happen,just PM me.

Eric

9 Ball Girl
04-28-2003, 10:08 AM
Ok, the list has started to grow. I'm keeping it in ink and paper here at my end, and as it progresses, I will post the names. Remember PM me with Count Me In! in the subject line.

Wendy~~~3 on the list, 29 more to go...based on 32 players that is!

Kato
04-28-2003, 10:17 AM
Why does everyone woof at me? What the heck did I do? Last year I'm staring down a kick shot when Tom sticks me just because he can. "Chalk up Kato" rings out from above, Lester I think. Damn, everyone is being perfectly quiet and all of the sudden I get heckled. What's up with that? Anyway, I spear that 8 ball almost make it, get great shape on the 9 and Tom decides that he needs to 2 rail bank the 9 to win. Show off.

This is what I want.

1) A blind draw, doubles, round robin format.

2) My team is in the finals automatically

If none of these things are happening then I'll just do whatever. I'm in, I'll be there, with bells on, ready to chalk up, be heckled, heckle back, and play pool.

PS. WesK may not have 200 posts. He did play last year and stays in touch with me. He's good people, he should play.

Kato

Rich R.
04-28-2003, 10:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Meeting nightly is a great idea. Sleeping in on Saturday morning? What the hell is sleep?! LOL<hr /></blockquote>
Sleep is for whimps!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Z

9 Ball Girl
04-28-2003, 10:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Why does everyone woof at me?<hr /></blockquote>

Because you're cute, that's why! Duh!

Kato
04-28-2003, 10:26 AM
That's what I said the entire week. When the week was over and I got home I melted. Had a complete brainlock for about 3 days. I think my old bones need at least 4 hours per night. However in a pinch 2 hours sleep, a pot of coffee, a couple stacks of pancakes, and 12 beers will get you through just fine.

Kato~~~I ain't cute, I'm a tough guy

dave
04-28-2003, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Here is a list of discussion points, please provide comments as you seem necessary;

1. Eligiblity:
a. anyone that is registered
b. anyone that is registered for more than a year
c. anyone that is registered for more than a year and has 200+ posts

<hr /></blockquote>

Also quote:

Current member of CCB with at least the title of "enthusist". This is a poster that
has more than 200 posts. I would think that 5 months is a fair amout of time to
post 40 posts a month.. don't you?
Some of us can do this in a week..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Enthusiast" as minimum? This would eliminate some of us older posters who used to contribute regularly before the format change and now primarily lurk, posting only occasionaly. Just an observation.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-28-2003, 10:30 AM
200+ posts/over a year of being registered, anyone that has played in last years tournament...all good pre-reqs.

If you aren't going to attend, please remember this whole getogether is for those going.

Voodoo Daddy
04-28-2003, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Kato~~~I ain't cute, I'm a tough guy <hr /></blockquote>

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAA /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now THATS funny!!!

dave
04-28-2003, 10:38 AM
I think running a social tournament is an enticement to come. Your suggestions actually got me thinking about attending. Thanks

Tom_In_Cincy
04-28-2003, 10:47 AM
You don't have to play in the final game decision to come and visit, let everyone associate a face to the name. Anyone taking pics will probably include all CCBers that show up.

As far as I'm concerned.. if we all meet and just bang balls around it will AT LEAST, be a great time.

IT just might be better to name it a CCB Convention and if there is a tournament.. fine.. if NOT... fine...

Kato
04-28-2003, 10:51 AM
What?????? Don't make me come down there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Kato~~~doesn't get any respect.

MikeM
04-28-2003, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> PS. WesK may not have 200 posts. He did play last year and stays in touch with me. He's good people, he should play.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

NO NEWBIES ALLOWED!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Mr Ingrate
04-28-2003, 11:28 AM
It looks like I'm going to make it this year. I can't spend the entire week so I probably won't get in until sometime late Thursday night, but I'm good to go for a tournament on Saturday.

I also like the suggestion of a round robin, whether individual or with a blind draw for partners. I'll be packin my laptop and would be happy to put it to use. A printer would be useful.

Kato
04-28-2003, 12:14 PM
Lester, I think I still have it. I'm gonna check my pics when I get home.

Kato

Kato
04-28-2003, 12:18 PM
Alright Dave!!!!!! I think it would be a treat to meet you.

Come on Mike. The guy is traveling with you in that side show you call a posse.

Kato

Lester
04-28-2003, 01:50 PM
Mike
WesK is a "given" in any CCB Tournament, just because he played in the first one. Hey you gotta give the guys he beat a chance to get even. ha ha ha JMHO ***Lester***

Brian in VA
04-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Tom,
Well done. I'd love to play again although my post count is too low. I'd also like to offer any help I can give you. I live in Richmond, only 90 minutes from the site and will be glad to help out. I promise to stay for the whole tournament instead of my 2 and out routine from last year.
Brian in VA

Lester
04-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Yea Dave, now we get to see if your head really does bob up and down. ha ha ha ***Lester***

04-28-2003, 03:49 PM
Sheesh, i could'nt make 200 post if i tired, i can barely talk on the phone for 10min. but if some how i did manage to reach that 200 post goal, i'd come right on down unfortunately i know i wont. So hopefully i will qualify for next years tournament. but if i can come watch and meet everyone that would be great.

Thanx, gotta get back to work.

John in NH
04-28-2003, 07:24 PM
Hi Ross,

I thought that your idea was great when you suggested it last year, I like it just as much this year, you've got my vote.

Regards,

John

Mr Ingrate
04-28-2003, 08:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lester:</font><hr> Yea Dave, now we get to see if your head really does bob up and down. ha ha ha ***Lester*** <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Lester,

Only when I'm shooting.

Mr Ingrate
04-28-2003, 08:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lester:</font><hr> Yea Dave, now we get to see if your head really does bob up and down. ha ha ha ***Lester*** <hr /></blockquote>
Only when I shoot, Lester. Only when I shoot!

Mr Ingrate
04-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Sorry for the double post, I'm trying to get to 200. &lt;VBG&gt;

Ross
04-28-2003, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote John in NH:</font><hr> Hi Ross,

I thought that your idea was great when you suggested it last year, I like it just as much this year, you've got my vote.

Regards,

John <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks, John. I don't really see the downside to having it round-robin at the least and doubles (of some sort) at the most. But I do note a lack of feedback or support from the mysterious CCB inner circle on this. Not sure what's up with that....

What do you think Tom, 9-ball girl, Kato, Voodoo, etc., about RR vs DE? Singles vs partners? If partners, scotch or regular?

If CCB does choose RR, logistically, you would probably have to have multiple round-robins with a playoff at the end between the winners of each. Best players will still likely win, but everybody will get to play a lot, and everyone will have a reason to stick around.

You do realize, don't you, that the best part about playing partners is that it gives us all an opportunity to blame our losses onto our partners. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've memorized my line already: "yeah, we should've won, but my partner couldn't make a ball..."

Kato
04-28-2003, 09:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote John in NH:</font><hr> Hi Ross,

Regards,
<hr /></blockquote>You do realize, don't you, that the best part about playing partners is that it gives us all an opportunity to blame our losses onto our partners. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've memorized my line already: "yeah, we should've won, but my partner couldn't make a ball..." <hr /></blockquote>

You've just lost me as a partner Ross. As far as I can tell it's your fault we didn't win. I can't make a ball if it's not 2 feet straight in and a stop shot to boot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

cueball1950
04-28-2003, 09:31 PM
I think any player who played last year should be able to play this year regardless of the amount of posts. People Like John NH or Killer break. After all he is the defending champion. Just my opinion.......................Mike

Popcorn
04-28-2003, 09:35 PM
You should have close to 700 by the time the tournament comes around, it adds up quick.

04-29-2003, 12:07 AM
700?

Sheesh what makes you say so ?

but on another note, i really like this forum, along with the poeple here, you guys are honest and really helpfull.

and again thanx for any past or present advice to me....

Popcorn
04-29-2003, 01:27 AM
You have 30 posts in the last week. The tournament is not till September. At your current rate you will have the two hundred in the next six weeks.

bluewolf
04-29-2003, 04:18 AM
Let's make everybody play offhanded. Haha. Just kidding.

Round robin bca (sort of)style...32 players, 4 groups of 6-7. They each play each other(on two opposing teams} once each. That is six games. Then the winners of two group play which brings the total to to 12. Then those winners play, bringing the game total to 18. Even if you went double elim, it would go quick, condidering how fast 9 ball games are. Well my math may not be exact, just an estimate.

Scotch Doubles- Great idea. I could play with ww and he could sink all the balls and I could play the safes /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously, it would be nice to try to match up good players (apa 7 or better) with a not as good player (apa 5 equiv or less)

Just my humble ideas. I was not there last year but do know that there are lots of very good players here and that some of you are A players /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw, if killer break gets to play, charlie williams has more posts than he does...unless they both have to play one-handed.

Laura

Voodoo Daddy
04-29-2003, 04:38 AM
Round Robin...Single Elimination? Hmmmmm, It could be fun to make it Scotch Doubles &lt;alternate shot&gt;. I would pay money to see Kato/CC partners...WESK/MIKEM partners...just to watch the mutiny...HAHAHAHAAH. The ultimate team would be Fast Larry/Downtown...BAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!

TomBrooklyn
04-29-2003, 05:41 AM
Normally I would agree Mike, but I don't think KB had any business playing last year. He put up five posts shortly before the event, most of them one liner quips. Somebody, you, from most indications, told him about CCB and the tournamnent for the purpose of trying to win the dough. Just because people are nice, Mike, doesn't mean they're stupid. How much was your cut of the winnings?

It's a tough call deciding what the right amount of posts are. I can understand someone who is on the Board for a few months and puts up 10-20 posts a month wanting to play. What is trying to be accomplished by some kind of minimum requirements is to prevent precisely what you did last year, bring in a ringer who is not really a CCB'er. I think thats all anybody wants. It's mainly a social event, not a hard core competition.

Brady_Behrman
04-29-2003, 06:17 AM
To ALL,

I will donate a one year membership to Fantasy9Ball.com that will be awarded to the winner of your ccb tournament.

Membership is worth $50.00 with the potential of thousands of dollars in prizes...

Good Luck to all,
Brady

Rich R.
04-29-2003, 06:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Seriously, it would be nice to try to match up good players (apa 7 or better) with a not as good player (apa 5 equiv or less) <hr /></blockquote>
I guess an APA 6 stands on the sidelines, with pom-poms and cheers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What about those that do not play in the APA? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Now who is an APA 6? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato
04-29-2003, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
btw, if killer break gets to play, charlie williams has more posts than he does...unless they both have to play one-handed.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

Laura, Killer Break plays good but not in Charlie's class.

Kato

Kato
04-29-2003, 07:48 AM
A few things.

1) There is already mutiny between Mike M and WesK, I'm not sure what's happening there.

2) I've got action with Christ Cass non-stop in Virginia

3) Blah, blah, blah. Nobody took the tournament seriously last year except for Killer Break.

3) Thank you Brady

4) It's a social event, it should be treated as such. For most of us it's a chance to hang out with friends we don't get to see much (in my case). It's not possible to play pool seriously when Lester is woofing at me, when Mike and Wes bring a girl I can't stop staring at, when Wendy and Lorri are whistling at me, and when Holly is running around channeling the rabbit /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5) 5 days/8 hours of sleep=no chance to play good in tournament

Kato

9 Ball Girl
04-29-2003, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote John in NH:</font><hr> What do you think Tom, 9-ball girl, Kato, Voodoo, etc., about RR vs DE? Singles vs partners? If partners, scotch or regular <hr /></blockquote>

I posted this somewhere already, I can't remember where but I love the idea of having a Round Robin or even a Scotch Doubles match.

Oh, here is my responded post towards yours, remember?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl, 4-28-03, 11:46AM:</font><hr>
I am all for the Round Robin format. I think that is more advantageous for the CCBers. Would we be allowed to woof? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding. I'll only woof at Kato.<hr /></blockquote>

bluewolf
04-29-2003, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> [ <hr /></blockquote>
I guess an APA 6 stands on the sidelines, with pom-poms and cheers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What about those that do not play in the APA? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Now who is an APA 6? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Think a six could be in either group depending on the six.

Based on estimated sl for those not in apa, so I get an A player. Maybe?

Laura

NBC-BOB
04-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Well since I'm fairly new here on the ccb,this is the first time that I've heard about this tournament. I'm under the impression that it's not sponsored by Billiards Digest?
Also I was wondering, since people on this board come from all over the globe, what kind of turnout did you have last year.Who knows maybe someday this could become a big tournament!With regional tournaments and all started by the people on the ccb.I think that would be cool!

Ross
04-29-2003, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote John in NH:</font><hr> Hi Ross,

Regards,
<hr /></blockquote>You do realize, don't you, that the best part about playing partners is that it gives us all an opportunity to blame our losses onto our partners. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've memorized my line already: "yeah, we should've won, but my partner couldn't make a ball..." <hr /></blockquote>

You've just lost me as a partner Ross. As far as I can tell it's your fault we didn't win. I can't make a ball if it's not 2 feet straight in and a stop shot to boot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato <hr /></blockquote>
Kato, I'm the ideal partner. Since I always blame my partner for my losses and always take credit if we win, I now have zero credibility! lol So you could miss a four inch hill-hill shot and if I told someone about it they would just roll their eyes and say "Sure he did, Ross."

For example, if I were partners with Johnny Archer and he shot like god, but we lost when I missed all of my shots, I would just report: "Man, Johnny messed us up big time. He just hogged the table and never let me get my stroke going."

I haven't figured it all out yet, though. When I miss the straight in hill-hill 9-ball shot, how do I blame this on my partner? I need some more lines, guys...

Ross
04-29-2003, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote John in NH:</font><hr> What do you think Tom, 9-ball girl, Kato, Voodoo, etc., about RR vs DE? Singles vs partners? If partners, scotch or regular <hr /></blockquote>

I posted this somewhere already, I can't remember where but I love the idea of having a Round Robin or even a Scotch Doubles match.

Oh, here is my responded post towards yours, remember?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl, 4-28-03, 11:46AM:</font><hr>
I am all for the Round Robin format. I think that is more advantageous for the CCBers. Would we be allowed to woof? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding. I'll only woof at Kato.<hr /></blockquote>

<hr /></blockquote>

So you did, 9-ball girl. Just an episode of CRSS. lol

I think woofing should not only be allowed - it should be a requirement for participation!

Tom_In_Cincy
04-29-2003, 11:50 AM
Unless you have some serious objections, this is the way it will be.

1. Format is Round Robin. Match will be Two games of Partners 9 ball, alternate shot. Flip or lag for break to begin, loser break for second game.

2. Winner will be determined by the most games won from playing all opponents.

3. Entry Fee covers table time (if no charge for table time, then you are free to donate this portion to trophies, or play for free)

4. Trophies, NO Cash Awards (personal engraving at your own expence)

5. BLIND Draw for Partners (sorry, I really don't think anyone is capable of handicapping everyone accurately)

6. A trophy committee will have to be selected and they will have to pay for the trophies and collect donations.
ANY VOLUNTEERS?

7. All players should recieve some sort of token that is unique to the 2003 CCB tournamet. 2003 key chain?

<font color="blue">
Limited to the first 32 players to sign up. That will be 16 teams playing 30 games and 30 different opponents. </font color>
This makes me happy, how about you?

Rich R.
04-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Bob, the CCB Tournament is sponsored by the members of the CCB. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The idea of a CCB Tournament had been thrown about several times. Last year, it happened to come together, with the help of Brady Behrman, who, at the time, was working for his father. Brady took care of registering players and making arrangements for the table time at Q-Masters. Brady's father was kind enough to kick in $100 added money.
It was really more of a social event, for CCB'ers from around the country to meet and play a little. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Although we had 32+ players registered last year, there were a number of no-shows. I believe we ended up with somewhere around 23. We still had fun and that is what it was all about.

Check out the smilling faces at http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/showgallery.cfm?gallerynum=16
Although not all of these pictures were taken at the CCB Tournament, most of them were.

This year, Brady, to my knowledge, is no longer working for his father. If you have been following this recently, you know that Tom is trying to make arrangements with Q-Masters for a second tournament, Wendy is registering the players and many others have volunteered to help as needed.

We are all hoping this plan will come together again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
04-29-2003, 12:28 PM
It sounds dandy to me. I'm not crazy about the trophy thing only because it creates more work, IMO. But, if trophies is what it's going to be, then trophies is what it will be. I'd help in that section only I wouldn't know where to start. Also, I'll probably fly down to VA so I'd like to make my flight checkin a little less hassle free. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As far as a CCB 2003 memento, how about a group shot of all of those who show with our John Hancock's on the pic? That's probably more work in itself. Ah well, it's JAT anyway.

Karatemom
04-29-2003, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> I haven't figured it all out yet, though. When I miss the straight in hill-hill 9-ball shot, how do I blame this on my partner? I need some more lines, guys... <hr /></blockquote>

I use this one alot. "You just put too much pressure on me". Works everytime /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Heide

Karatemom
04-29-2003, 01:00 PM
As soon as I know we will be there, I will gladly help with the trophies. However, if there is someone who already is positive they will be there and can handle it, please step forward, LOL. Also, did you see Brady's post down below about sponsorship? Very nice.

Heide

MikeM
04-29-2003, 01:21 PM
Tom,

Sounds great! The only suggestion I have is to come up with a way to at least ensure that the best two players don't get teamed up or the least two skilled players either (WesK and Kato for example /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Maybe have voluntary A &amp; B designations. Just some way to keep it as even as possible.

I will gladly help with the trophies since I will be driving down. And I will even look into a "commemorative item". I would need help from the general populace, however.

MM

Popcorn
04-29-2003, 01:42 PM
Trophes could be represented by any number of things. A plaque or medal or even a certificate that can be framed. Along with some stuff that can be donated. I would think a subscription to BD. would be nice, hint,hint.

Popcorn
04-29-2003, 01:45 PM
I think it sounds great, just reading about it makes you want to come. Really sounds like fun.

Kato
04-29-2003, 02:04 PM
whoa, Whoa, WHOA, WHOA!!!!!!!!!! What's up G-Money? It's so on!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Bring all your cues, bring all your nice cases, bring Wes, your posse, all your babes, and your Beemer. You goin' down son. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato~~~will be matching up with Mike M in a South Florida pool room in 3 weeks time. Come on down Mike, you're the next contestant on.................

Kato
04-29-2003, 02:21 PM
Interestingly enough Popcorn, it is /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

In addition, the folks on this board really great people (present poster excluded /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) to hang out with and sweat matches.

Kato~~~is being woofed at 144 days away from the CCB tournament.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-29-2003, 04:29 PM
I got lucky.. my sister only lives about 5 minutes from the convention center.. and she has an extra car for me to use all week.

Looks like we will all have a fantastic time this year.. but it will be difficult to beat the last year's getogether..

Tom_In_Cincy
04-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Mike, you can be in charge of the parings. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Blind draw.. will eliminate any unknowns.. besides.. 1st place may not be the best prize /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
04-29-2003, 04:34 PM
Heide,

Brady just told me that he will post a $50 cash Added. But that just might go to the prizes/trophies/gifts.. or what ever.

And, I am working on a deal for some more added. More info on that as I get the details. Looking good...

Tom_In_Cincy
04-29-2003, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as a CCB 2003 memento, how about a group shot <hr /></blockquote>

NO.. Wendy.. NO MORE SHOTS.. its 3am and we have to drive.. NO MORE SHOTS

SpiderMan
04-29-2003, 05:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr> Tom,

Sounds great! The only suggestion I have is to come up with a way to at least ensure that the best two players don't get teamed up or the least two skilled players either (WesK and Kato for example /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Maybe have voluntary A &amp; B designations. Just some way to keep it as even as possible.

I will gladly help with the trophies since I will be driving down. And I will even look into a "commemorative item". I would need help from the general populace, however.

MM <hr /></blockquote>

That's a good system. I play in a weekly blind-draw rourney that's done exactly that way. All the "A" players draw first, then the "B" players draw to pair up with them. "A" and "B" are arbitrary designations that divide the group into two classifications.

But, how to get a feel for relative skills before the match? Does anyone know enough to do it?

SpiderMan

9 Ball Girl
04-29-2003, 06:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>NO.. Wendy.. NO MORE SHOTS.. its 3am and we have to drive.. NO MORE SHOTS <hr /></blockquote>

Oh baby, all great lushes think alike... http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/1050845310.gif

WesK
04-29-2003, 07:46 PM
...Right...

I would be about a D -minus...

wes

WesK
04-29-2003, 07:52 PM
You are the best, sir.

cueball1950
04-29-2003, 08:27 PM
I like that format Tom. You came up with a winner. it will be fun to watch...See you there......Mike

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 06:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>That's a good system. I play in a weekly blind-draw rourney that's done exactly that way. All the "A" players draw first, then the "B" players draw to pair up with them. "A" and "B" are arbitrary designations that divide the group into two classifications.

But, how to get a feel for relative skills before the match? Does anyone know enough to do it?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Be honest. ww will say he is B but he is a very good apa 7. I would be in the bottom classification. Does that help?

Laura

Lester
04-30-2003, 11:00 AM
Actually Ross, you used a line on me when we were playing our match, that I use whenever I can. You had just "lucked" in two balls in a row. You then made an excellent cut shot on another and sent the cue ball three rails for position on the next when it froze on the nine. You looked at me and with a dead pan (oscar worthy) look of frustration, you said "I can't get a roll". PRICELESS!!!! ***Lester***

Mr Ingrate
04-30-2003, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> <font color="blue">
Limited to the first 32 players to sign up. That will be 16 teams playing 30 games and 30 different opponents. </font color>
This makes me happy, how about you? <hr /></blockquote>

Makes me happy, Tom. However, that will be 15 rounds with 8 matches each round.

How many tables will we have? Assuming 4 tables and 1/2 hour per match (woofing time included), it could take 1 hour to complete a round and 15 hours to complete the tourney.

You might consider two groups of 8 teams. Using the 4 table assumption, each group would play 7 rounds with 4 matches per round, cutting the time required down to 7 hours. The top 2 teams in each group could play a single elimination final to determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd &amp; 4th, another hour.

Or 4 groups of 4 teams. That would be 3 rounds with 2 matches each round, plus a 4 team final single elimination playoff. About 2 1/2 hours in total, longer if you increase the races.

Anyway, just a little logistical food for thought.

I think two groups of 8 teams more workable playing a final only if required. It would be nice to play everyone, but playing half the folks there ain't too shabby either.

Besides you will probably be sitting watching the other group when your group isn't playing so you should be able to see most everyone play.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Dave
Hopfully, 8 tables will be available. Maybe more.

32 players 16 teams, 15 matches 2 games a match. 15 minutes per match I calculate about 4-6 hours.

Woofing?...that's a group thing? right?

When Wendy gets down on a shot.. we don't say a word.. silence.. that ought to really mess her up... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
04-30-2003, 11:57 AM
Sounds like a good format Tom. It will keep it moving along at a good pace, that's good. The TD/Td's will stay busy. I would like to come some day. I think you could do a basic handicap in a short period of time, or just have the entries give Wendy their handicap on the sign up sheet. It's all in fun, everyone can be on the honor system.

Rod

MikeM
04-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Actually I have you down as an F. But you can improve that with four 8-0s tonite!

MM...that's with YOU winning Wes

9 Ball Girl
04-30-2003, 02:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> When Wendy gets down on a shot.. we don't say a word.. silence.. that ought to really mess her up... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

I'll just let my eyes do the talking. Right Kato? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
04-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Keep your cell on tonight Mike. I'm going to call tonight to see how Wes did. That should be fun.

Kato~~~bringing pressure from Florida

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 03:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WesK:</font><hr> ...Right...

I would be about a D -minus...

wes <hr /></blockquote>

Then if we get each other in the draw, we would have loads of fun. I can lag good and break good in 9 ball. I wont say anything about the rest of my play though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Laura

Kato
04-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Laura, are you hiding your speed? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato~~~~slow speed.

WesK
04-30-2003, 11:25 PM
F-minus -- during the league. I cost the team 3 of 5 games.

I couldn't close a rack and didn't run out til we were done.

I did get a chance to play with Mike's Omen break cue... pretty sweet...

wes

WesK
04-30-2003, 11:28 PM
Well, whatever happens, if it is anything like last year, then at least we'll have fun.

wes