PDA

View Full Version : What do you find is the best...

c.holtz009
04-26-2003, 09:15 AM
I don't know if this has been done to death or not, but what type of glue do you use to tip your cue?

The last while I've been using Tweeten 10 minute cement, but I was curious if there was anything else that worked well like contact cement or something.

I was thinking of trying Lepage's #6 contact cement, but I don't know if it will hold up.

Whatchya think??

pooltchr
04-26-2003, 09:36 AM
You might find this hard to believe, but I have been doing cue repair for years, and use Duro Super Gel. In the last 3 years, I have only had 3 customers come back to me with missing tips.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-26-2003, 10:03 AM
I second the use of Duro Gel super glue, I've been using it for the last 10 years and have never had a tip come off.

NBC-BOB
04-29-2003, 08:18 AM
I use the gel type of cyanoacrylates glues and since the gel type has a longer curing time, I like using the activator, that they sell for these glues.I put the gel on the ferrule side and spray the activator on the tip.But you have to be quick, because it bonds instantly!

pooldaddy9
04-29-2003, 10:23 AM
I've been using Loctite 454 for years and have never had a tip come off. Just be sure to position the tip quick. There are so many different kinds you can use. 454 - That's what I find best.

c.holtz009
04-29-2003, 10:38 AM
The main reason I am asking, is because I had to re - tip my predator shaft 3 times. I was using the Tweeten ten minute tip cement. I have done many tips for people over the last few years, and very seldom have had one come off. Now with the Predator shaft, I cannot seem to keep a tip on.
If it makes a difference, I use Le Pro tips. It's the only hard tip I can find around here.
I would love to try some different brands of tips, but I don't want to order a whole box to find out I don't like them. Any suggestions?

pooltchr
04-29-2003, 12:12 PM
If you like Le Pro, the WB water buffalo seems to be similar but harder. I like them because they hold their shape better than the Le Pro. Much less likely to mushroom.

ras314
04-29-2003, 02:02 PM
I also found Tweeten doesn't stick very well to the Predator ferrul. If you are careful to let it get good and tacky before applilying the tip it will work ok. Duro gel super glue is much easier and seems to be similar to Predator's recommendation.

smfsrca
04-29-2003, 02:29 PM
http://www.permatex.com/products/industrial_individual_products2.asp?selectid=124&c ategory=adhesives&oe_category=bonding&product=Perm atex,%20Super%20Glue%20Gel

c.holtz009
04-29-2003, 03:17 PM
I looked all over the place, but I couldn't find any duro gel super glue. I am trying Lepage's press tite contact cement. I'll see if it holds up or not.

SpiderMan
04-29-2003, 04:32 PM
Duro quick-gel is available at Wal-Mart. The store near me sells a package containing two identical tubes of it for about $1.75.

SpiderMan

pooldaddy9
04-29-2003, 08:31 PM
pm me with your address and I will send you a couple of tips to try.

caedos
04-29-2003, 09:08 PM
My vote will always go to Duro super glue gel first, then any cyanoacrylate gel. Other glues may work alright, but my pop-offs and tear-offs went to zero once I started using super glue gel. You can also use a 5-minute epoxy if you don't have too much press-out before it sets.

EXCEPTION: Super glue gel on a phenolic tip is a NO GO at this station. The tip will pop off, it's just a question of when. The consensus of people I've talked with is that the phenolic break/jump tips that are out there are not porous enough AND that the cyanoacrylate adhesives will not withstand any appreciable shear (lateral or perpendicular force vectors that are created by apparent deflection when the tip contacts the cue ball off-center) under those conditions.

I am not familiar with the contact facing of a Predator shaft, but I know people with tips on their 314's that were put there with super glue gel. They have had no problem keeping their tips where they belong, on their stick and in the action!

Carl

stickman
04-29-2003, 09:39 PM
I use Duro quick-gel here also. In addition to Walmart, I can find it in the grocery store and most hardware stores also. I wrap sides of my ferrule with electrical tape, and after applying the tip, remove the tape along with any seepage of excess glue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

c.holtz009
04-30-2003, 05:20 AM
Maybe that duro gel isn't available here. I went to 3 hardware stores, Canadian tire, and Wal Mart. No luck. I guess I'll make do with what I can find here.

pooltchr
04-30-2003, 07:22 AM
I find Duro Gel at Lowe's or Home Depot

c.holtz009
04-30-2003, 02:14 PM
I found thia stuff and thought I would give it a try...

http://www.gorillaglue.com/assets/gorilla_hand.gif

04-30-2003, 07:56 PM
Hello C.Holtz009,
i hope you read this before you use this for tip replacement. do not use Gorilla Glue. the stuff, in all available forms, expands when curing/drying. expansion is very bad for a tip-ferrule bond. i've known a person that used it before but still cheaper better solutions are there. Gorilla Glue is very strong but not nearly as much as any epoxy or the gel super-glues that do not expand. this glue is better suited for other cue making uses, not tips.

i've seen decent gel super-glues available at 7-11's and Circle K's. you can buy the stuff almost anywhere and it gives equal results as other more expensive glues. use the Gorilla on other projects but try it on something where expansion won't be a problem first.
best regards,
^v^

04-30-2003, 09:41 PM
well, me personally i've never re-tip'ed my own cue, when i first got my cue, i did'nt like the tip, so i switched to a moori tip, but i let the pro's ( local billiard shops ) handle that for me. but with all these suggestions i might just try some of these when it comes time for me to get a new tip, which will prolly be in a year or 2.