PDA

View Full Version : THE ZONE !

04-26-2003, 11:49 PM
i wanted to know if anyone got into a zone of their own when their shooting, i know for me, once i get into the zone i forget about what or who is around me, my mind is as clear as and empty glass. and my eyes are like a predator on felt. and i wanted to know if i was crazy or is this normal.

So do you zone out, when shooting ?

snipershot
04-27-2003, 02:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote muujahid:</font><hr>

So do you zone out, when shooting ? <hr /></blockquote>

I zone out on every single shot in every single game. The first thing I do before I even start my pre-shot routine is clear my mind, if I shoot when I'm distracted I miss shots my grandma could make so I clear my mind on every single shot.

Snipershot-needs all the help he can get

cheesemouse
04-27-2003, 05:16 AM
For lack of better self thoughts on the zone I would paraphrase someone else and I think this comes from the general tenor of the book "Inner Tennis". The zone is inspired by letting your perfectly trained body go or getting out of the way mentally so your body can do it's job; it knows what to do and your job (easier said then done) is to let your body go. If this is accomplished and you are accomplished the game can be play in that nearly perfect flow that is so pleasurable to see and to experience.

c.holtz009
04-27-2003, 08:19 AM
I find when I hit "the zone" time moves a warp speeds. Sometimes I'll check my watch at say, 7:00, and all of a sudden, it's like midnight, and I think it should be about 10:00.
Another thing with "the zone" is if you were to ask what order I ran the balls in, (if playing 8-ball) I couldn't tell you even one shot I made. It seems I'm like a robot with no memory when I hit that "zone". I just pocket balls, get shape automatically without any effort.
I call this playing completely on "instinct"

04-27-2003, 08:28 AM
no i dont mean how you run the balls, but i could'nt remember what ball i just hit, i just know i ran out and won.

c.holtz009
04-27-2003, 01:04 PM
That's exactly what I meant. I guess I didn't explain myself. It's amazing when it happens though. I wish I could turn it on and off at will!!

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 05:13 AM
Not so sure about the zone. All I know that in every match, nothing exists but the table. For that reason, I am not aware of how many games I need to win. Hill hill and all that does not matter, as I am not in the present or the past. I never fold under pressure because pressure does not exist.

Deeman
04-28-2003, 05:41 AM
Not near often enough anymore!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Predator314
04-28-2003, 08:50 AM
I got in the zone Friday night, but couldn't stay there quite long enough. We had a Moose State tournaments this past weekend. Friday night is the 9-ball tournament. I drew an "A" player the first match. He controlled the whole match allowing me to only win 1 game. I had trouble concentrating and therefore also had trouble controlling my cue ball. I never missed a ball, but just kept messing up position forcing myself to play safe. I drew another "A" player for my next match. I'm not really sure how he got in the losers bracket. This is when my zone started. The tournament was a race to 3 (due to the number of people) with loser breaking (unless it's a 2-2 tie, you flip a coin for the break). He broke the first rack and didn't pocket any balls. I ran out. He broke the second time and scratched. I ran out. He broke the third time, pushed out. I ran out. I continued to battle through the losers bracket winning 3-0 in all matches except one which was 3-1. I'm not even sure how many matches I played in the losers bracket, but it was a lot. I finally met my match though. It wasn't my fault for losing though. I played the eventual winner of the tournament. He broke and ran out the first game. I broke and ran out the 2nd game (still zoning /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I broke the third game and played safe. It was a really good safe. I got ball in hand and made a combo on the 9. I was up 2-1. He broke and ran out the next game. We tossed the coin. He won the break. He broke and ran out again. Tough match. I had to settle for a 5th place finish.

I couldn't believe what kind of roll I was on though. I was totally focused and and the run-outs came easy and often. I loved it.