PDA

View Full Version : Terminology

gnef
04-27-2003, 02:53 AM
Hi, I'm pretty new to pool, and have been reading through this forum, as well as through as much as time allows. You guys throw around a lot of terminology that i am not accustomed to. Kicks, caroms, from the seven? stuff like that. I was wondering if you guys could educate me. Heh. or point me to a website that explains all the different terminology.

Thanks,

-Mel

gnef
04-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Also, after reading through the robot-made cues, what exactly is a 'point'? and all the other terms thrown around in the creation of the cue, and the different splices? what exactly is this, how exactly does it influence the play of the stick, etc.

-Mel

rukiddingme
04-27-2003, 07:34 PM
and your point is....?
sorry, I just could not resist /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
On a more serious note, if you go to www.schulercue.com (http://www.schulercue.com) and go into the history section of the site you will find a serious discussion regarding the form and function of points on a cue.
ruk

heater451
04-28-2003, 07:12 AM
(I can't believe no-one has answered you yet. . . .)

Kicks--this is similar to a bank, except you shoot the cueball (CB) to a railbefore contact with the object ball (OB). Makes more sense, as the number of rails needed goes up.

Carom--a shot where the OB is ricocheted off of another ball, in order to alter its path. Sometimes referred to as a "kiss" shot; often confused with a "billiard" shot.

Billiard--when the CB is ricocheted off of another ball, in order to alter its path.

"from the seven"--(probably) a reference to finishing a game of 9-ball, with the 7, 8, and 9 left to play. As in, "getting out, from the seven". (Note: 9-ball is a 'rotation' game, where the balls are shot in order 1-9, with the 9 winning the game.)

If I had the time, I would post some links. For now, if you want anymore detail, you can probably just search through Google.

==================

04-28-2003, 08:43 AM
I've seen this a couple of times, and I assume it's a way to "level" a match, but what does "giving the two", for example, mean? It's not always the "two", but I've read it as a ball number, and not a number of balls. Any help? Thanks.

Scott ~ would not be good at "giving" even if he knew what it was

MikeM
04-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Mel,

Welcome to the board! Another good site to learn about cue construction is http://www.barringercues.com/ Very detailed information and pictures.

MM

pooltchr
04-28-2003, 09:29 AM
You may be thinking of giving the "last two". In 9-ball, you are letting your opponent win on the 9 as well as with the ball remaining before the 9. It's different from giving the 8, which might go down on the break.
Steve

CrispyFish
04-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Wouldn't, for example, "giving the 7" mean that the opponent could win by making the 7-ball?

Fred Agnir
04-28-2003, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Charlotte_Scott:</font><hr> I've seen this a couple of times, and I assume it's a way to "level" a match, but what does "giving the two", for example, mean? It's not always the "two", but I've read it as a ball number, and not a number of balls. <hr /></blockquote>

"Giving the 8" for example means that the opponent can win the game by pocketing the 8-ball or the 9-ball at any time. I've watched a game where someone was giving the 1-ball.

Giving the wild-8 means explicitly that he can either luck in the 8-ball or the 9-ball with any legal shot for the win.

Giving the last two means that the opponent can win if he makes either of the last two balls left on the table.

Giving the two-out means the opponent can win if he pockets any numbered ball from 2 through 9 on a legal hit. That's a healthy spot. Usually, you'll see something like the 7-out or 6-out.

Orange Crush: Giving the 5-ball, and the opponent always has the breaks. In all the talks of the Orange Crush, I've never actually seen anyone give this spot.

Fred &lt;~~~ needs the 5-out from everyone

heater451
04-28-2003, 09:57 AM
A couple of other situations involving "giving" might be:

1) Giving "games on the wire"--during a race, games may be given as handicap. For example, in a race-to-7 setup, your opponent might give you two games, so that you only have to win five. Also, can be used when races are uneven (handicapped)--such as, during a 3/5 race, one player has "given two (on the wire)" to his opponent.

2) Giving up balls (8-ball, 14.1)--for 8-ball, after the break, the lower handicapped player may select X-number of balls to take off the table. In straight pool (14.1), one player may give up balls toward the game goal, (ex., race to 150 balls, one player starts off with 30--and only has to make 120 balls).

==================

smfsrca
04-28-2003, 11:58 AM
http://www.onthesnap.com/jargon.htm