PDA

View Full Version : List your own Personal POOL MILESTONES to date

bigbro6060
04-27-2003, 08:39 PM
here are mine

1) Decided to play seriously to beat a friend of my cousin who thought he was hot sh*t, accomplished this in a matter of weeks, realised i wasn't bad at this game at all

2) got my own table

3) First break and run

4) First night of league play. I had only played the Captain as kind of a 'audition' for the team. I rocked up, met all of the other team members. I was watching them warm up and they were all so good ! i thought i was well out of my league ! when the actual play started i ended up doing second best in our team that night, winning 4 of 5 games. Confidencewise, this was a huge milestone for me as i knew i could more than hold my own against these Division One players.

Nostroke
04-27-2003, 11:46 PM
I THINK i passed a milestone this weekend. I actually beat a guy rated a 'B' two straight sets in convincing fashion. I never really believed I was a Legit 'C' before

Im "seeing" shots i never saw before. My brain/eye has finally learned a new way of looking at some shots and perceiving the true reality of the proper OB, CB contact . In the past my brain refused to accept that i was seeing it wrong even though i missed the shot the same way time after time. I couldnt shake that "false reality" Anyone understand what i mean?

sack316
04-28-2003, 01:23 AM
first getting way too addicted to the game
first win in my first league match
first 9 on break in league
first break-n-run in league
rather than go through the rest probably the two most important are when the concept of speed/english/position all came together, and probably most important was learning that I don't have to sink a ball on every shot, defense is often better than making a ball.
Oh, one last milestone: my girlfriend/fiance/common law wife or whatever leaving me about a week ago, with one of the major problems being i'm not home enough (namely the pool hall). Oops.

Hopster
04-28-2003, 03:37 AM
I would say going thru 5 guys in a nine ball tourny 7 years ago before getting flattened.
A 30 ball run in straight pool.

Pathetic, truly pathetic. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 04:23 AM
As a relatily new player, there is not much greatness to share. What goes on in the apa is beside the point.

In other matchups, I have consistently beaten players who are supposed to me much better than I am. When they have beaten me, all of the games are on the wire, down to the last ball.

So hey, even though I do not have any great achievements to share, at least I know I am improving, because in non league matchups I am beating people I could not 6 months ago. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 04:25 AM
Bigbro,

I am glad that you are realizing that you are good at pool. I had no doubt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Karatemom
04-28-2003, 05:53 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I have reached a certain level of seeing the angles the right way. I was having a really hard time figuring out the contact point. Now, not only have I been able to shoot without thinking about where to hit on some shots, but my speed and cb control have improved quite a bit as well.

I was also aurprised when I found out that I was the "shooter" on my team. My teammates have all been playing much longer than I, but don't really put the effort in their game like I do. My handicap was a couple of points higher than everyone else's last year, which I didn't expect at all, being my first year playing seriously. So for the summer league now, I plan on kicking some major butt and boosting my handicap a little higher.

Heide

marek
04-28-2003, 07:17 AM
Here are my achievements:

1) won my 1st amateur tournament - 1997
2) break and run my first game in 8-ball - 1997
(one year pause due to my military service)
3) become dedicated student to the game - 1999
4) break and run my first game in 9-ball - 1999
5) string 2 games in 8-ball and 9-ball - 2000
6) string 4 games in 8-ball - 2001
7) string 4 games in 9-ball - 2002
8) run of 59 balls in straight pool - 2002
9) run of 122 balls in straight pool - 2003

Personal best:
straight pool - 122 balls, over 50 - about 15 times
8-ball - string of 4 runouts - 5 times
9-ball - string of 4 runouts - once, string of 3 runouts - numerous times
snooker (only occasional play) - best run of 39 points - nothing to brag with... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Predator314
04-28-2003, 07:26 AM
Not really milestones, but here are my results for this past weekends state tournament I just shot in.

Fri Night 9-ball: 5th place
Saturday Morning Doubles 8-ball: 3rd Place
Saturday Afternoon Singles 8-ball: 5th Place
Saturday Night 9-ball: 3rd Place
Sunday 4-man team event: 4th Place

I was in the money every tournament. Sadly, none of my partners on the team did good enough to share the wealth. Oh well. I'm happy with the results and I'm also pooped from all that shooting. I haven't slept in 3 days /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DSAPOLIS
04-28-2003, 09:03 AM
Won first tournament, 8 ball - (1972)
Won Boy's Club of America National title 8 ball (1974)
100 Ball run (actual run of 106) 1978
Played first Professional Tournament 1978
Ran 150 balls (1981)
Played on European Pro Tour (1989-1991)
Wrote my first book (1991)
Opened my first Pool Hall (1992)
Held my first Charity Tournament (1993)
First Century Run in Snooker, haven't broke 70 since (1994)
Wrote my second Book "The Growling Point" (1995)
Played my last professional tournament (1997)
Opened my second Pool Hall (1995)
Personal High run of 204 in 14.1 (March 22, 2000)

In looking at this, in the beginning the victories over others were extremely important, but as the years have gone by, I have realized that my toughest opponent has been me. What I also notice is the way my life progressed professionally, personally, and spiritually through all of these "milestones", many of which found me when I wasn't looking for them...

04-28-2003, 10:56 AM
well for me i never really noticed how good i was untill i first was asked by this guy in the poolhall to play 1p, i had explained to him that i did'nt know how to play. He explained the rules & the stragety of the game, then we proceded to play and amazing, he broke and i beat him 6 in a row and 2 of those games ran out, since then i have truly started to strengthen my game so that i can look at a shot and not think about it. as far as my records goes:

1st Beat my grandfather in straight pool race to 100 i beat him by 40 balls. damn did that bost my confidence.

2nd joined apa in 99 and shot throught the ranks in no time, i came in a 2 and by the end of the season i was shooting a strong 7.

3rd, beat a guy 6 games straight in 1p, with 2 run out's in the game.

4th, played in my first 9ball tournament and won 1st place.

5th, played in my first 8ball tournament on a bar table, and i hate small tables, and i actually won.

as far as how i feel about my game, i have now realized that for me pool comes naturally, the stroke, sight, technique, some have to develop. Lucky for me it just came.

that and ebony has never let me down ( "ebony" is my meucci").

DebraLiStarr
04-28-2003, 11:15 AM
I ran two racks of 9 ball in a tournament in January.
I actually won a handicapped 9 ball tournament last June. I don't play that much straight pool, but I am learning to identify keys break balls out of the pack, which has helped me (I think my high run is 17, although it would be higher if I played that game more). As far as my 8 ball league, I got pissed off and stopped playing leagues this year, and I plan on just entering local 8 ball and 9 ball tournaments instead. To me, that is a milestone, as I had talked about quitting leagues for a long time before I actually did it.

Hopster
04-28-2003, 01:45 PM
Personal High run of 204 in 14.1 (March 22, 2000) <--Dave

Only 204 dave ?? Must have been an off day, eh ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
204 !! They would have to give me oxygen if i ever ran 204.

DSAPOLIS
04-28-2003, 01:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> Personal High run of 204 in 14.1 (March 22, 2000) &lt;--Dave

Only 204 dave ?? Must have been an off day, eh ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
204 !! They would have to give me oxygen if i ever ran 204.
<hr /></blockquote>
------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing to worry about, since that personal best, I have only posted a 117 run as the highest since that date. At the time I was playing 7-8 hours a day. I never say "never", but I don't believe I'll get close to 204 ever again, nevermind eclipsing that record. I could live with 204.

Deeman
04-28-2003, 02:37 PM
1. Beating my Step-Father for the first time!

2. Watching James Brown break a cue over his knee, then remembering he was shooting with mine.

3. Installing my first roll of 760 on my table in 1970 then watching the lamp crash on the table, tearing the cloth.

4. Showing someone the "Mike Sigel" flex break and warping my brand new shaft.

5. Getting out the back door of a bar in Adrain, Texas before the maddest, ugliest man I ever saw could get his gun out of his back pocket.

6. Watching two naked girls in Sweden shooting snooker for two hours and not remembering if either one made a ball.

7. Playing 3 cushion for the first time in Japan 'cause that's all that billiard hall had!

8. Telling Francisco that I bet him $500 he couldn't make that bank three times in a row.

9. Running two racks of rotation in the same day. (It seems three times as hard as a rack of nine ball to me!)

10. Number 10 will probably happen next week!

bigbro6060
04-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Some great milestones guys, good on all of you !

Deeman, just got one word to say to you with regards to you know what, VIDEOCAMERA !!!

04-28-2003, 09:24 PM
well, this all occured withing about 3 1/2 weeks

Played first real game
Won first game
First non-accidental good combo
Won first game without any garbage
First non-accidental good bank
Set PR on a Run (6)
During 9 ball, made 9 on break (once so far, my favorite milestone so far, still a little shocked)
Learned First Trick Shot (one of the Amos shots for Color of Money)
Won first bet ($5, on that shot)

Might seem like a lot, still looks like a lot to me. plus, we were on spring break, nothin better to do around this dull city but a good friend of mine from school is training me (sort of)

he can run table in 8ball about once every 10 pool hours.. well, seems that way. dont know the actual ratio

Fred Agnir
04-29-2003, 07:09 AM
Milestones achieved?

One of my goals at the local level was to make someone irritated to the point of head explosion simply due to the fact that they drew me in the first round. Milestone achieved.

My future goal is pretty simple. Don't embarrass myself.

Fred &lt;~~~ so far, so good ... this week, that is

Aboo
04-29-2003, 04:21 PM
I have three really.
1.) Placed in the money in the local APA 8-ball handi-capped tourney. (Spring 2003 - 5th)
2.) Broke and ran an 8-ball rack. (April 17th 2003)
3.) Beat our teams 7 head-up, with no BS... See number 2 :P

SRpool
04-30-2003, 11:13 PM
here are mine:
1)winning my first big tournament (1999)
2)stringing together a really long tournament win streak
3)winning junior nationals (2000)
4)winning my first WPBA qualifier (2001)
5)running the set out twice in a tournament, race to 7 (2001)
6)getting 7th in the WPBA US open (2002)
7)achieving my goal of being a touring pro within a year and being ranked within the top 32(last month)

Perk
05-01-2003, 10:11 AM
Tuff to think about milestones but here are a few of mine:

8ball bar league: Finished either 1st/2nd of the entire league for all 5 years I have played since I got out of the Marine Corps.

Realized I had shooting potential when I had a top amatuer by the balls in a gambling match, and even though I ended up letting him off the hook, I learned alot that day.

8ball bar league: Raised league win/loss percentage each year from .781 to this years .843.

Won numerous local 8ball tourneys: Highest dollar amount taken from one was $583.00

The new (3 years) game for me is 9ball: Won my first local 9ball tourney 2000, and I win alot of handicapped 9ball tourneys.

Finished in the money in a 128 player field in a state 9ball tourney: 7/8th

My next milestone for next fall is to win a 9ball area tourney with 128 or more players.

Also, learning one pocket--slowly, cause not many people play around here. I am trying to get a monetary edge over some of the players around here.

If I get my addition on my house anytime soon, I plan on bringing in the 9' table and incorporating straight pool into my practice.
I would like to move from a lower rated "A" player to a top level A player, or A++ as some are known here.

05-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Took 4th in 9ball tourny. Behind Fransico Diaz, Art Rivera and Norm "Porky" Wines.--1995

Can't remember when my first run outs were, nor can I count how many I've had since. 3 consecutive 9ball runs.

Won a 9ball qualifier every year since 1995.
Won or placed in top 3 of several local tourny's.

Haven't done too much this year. But I think it's time to change all that.

((P.S. Where in Michigan do you play Perk?)) /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

stick8
05-02-2003, 12:43 AM
I dont know if you call it a milesstone, but to me it was one I will never forget. while stationed in Germany I played in 14.1 tourny for all europe. I won region at Bremahaven,won distric in Berlin. went to all Europe finals at Gerpeng Germany, fineshed 6th of all Europe.Good Memories OLD MAN STICK P.S. this was in1970 WE HAD TO STOP TRAIN GOING INTO BERLIN SO THE SOVIET SOLDERS CAME ON TRAIN TO CHECK OUR I.D.

05-02-2003, 01:17 AM
Hey, OLD MAN STICK!

I'd definitely call that one "helluva milestone!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dave
05-02-2003, 10:36 AM
I think you have the proudest dad on the planet! All the best.