PDA

View Full Version : RE: Snooker on the BBC.com/snooker

#### leonard
04-28-2003, 06:59 AM
Ronnie O'Sullivan ran a 147 to win 169,000 lbs in his first match which he lost. It can be viewed by going to the BBC website. It took 6 1/2 minutes to earn the cash. I haven't found what the lb is worth in dollars. I know it is over 200 thousand american.####

snipershot
04-28-2003, 08:12 AM
One lb is worth $1.42 American or like around $2.20 Canadian (our dollar is doing that bad /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

So this would be about $240,000 American A.K.A. one hell of a payday.

#### leonard
04-28-2003, 03:31 PM
There is another shot to be seen by Alan McManus sign on Scroll down to the bottom to see his fluke. ####

Hopster
04-28-2003, 05:26 PM
What paydays they have over there. Why is that ? Over here the top pros cant earn s### and these guys make all kinds of money. Plus i understand Americans cant go on the snooker tour over there. Now why do we let them compete over here in nine ball and what not and our guys cant get in over there ?
I just find it irritating that game as tough to master as pool has no big paydays and something like bowling is ahead of it cash wise. BOWLING !!!

qSHAFT
04-28-2003, 05:59 PM
I don't know about not letting Americans in. What is your source on this? I understand that there are a couple of Aussies in now, why not Americans? In order to qualify for the pro tour, there are very tough and long qualifying requirements, you can't just turn up with the entry fee like in 9 ball, it is a very organised comp. Considering most Americans play on a 10 foot table I would understand if simply none have qualified for it. Unlike pool, snooker must be started at a very early age to compete at the top levels.

Cheers - qSHAFT

Ken
04-28-2003, 06:05 PM
The money comes from legal gambling by the masses. The USA doesn't have a lot of legal gambling and if it did there are plenty of other games that have more interest.

You can't just join a tour. I believe it's possible to get on the snooker tour but it would not be easy for an American. It would be worth going for citizenship if that would help given the profit to be made. Those guys aren't that easy to beat, however.

Events are open to anyone over here so anyone can compete. There's no comparison. If there were a nine ball tour the Brits would have to jump through hoops to get on it but why would they want to?
KenCT

Hopster
04-28-2003, 06:20 PM
I don't know about not letting Americans in. What is your source on this? <--Qshaft

I read it somewhere, cant recall right now. I know its big action over there, i didnt know how much betting action there actually was involved. A brit friend of mine tells me its huge.

Hopster
04-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Heres a link someone sent me showing the prize money and what not. Some really impressive sums.

http://worldsnooker.com/snooker_media_centre/embassy2003/points.asp

bigbro6060
04-28-2003, 08:46 PM
There is NOTHING to stop americans going over to play Snooker

Sure they have to go through qualifying tournaments just like all the british players do too!

the reason why americans don't go and play snooker is that the snooker players kill them ! I'm sorry guys, but you have face the brutal truth. SNooker players can adapt to Pool much easier than pool players can adapt to snooker !

Hopster
04-28-2003, 09:13 PM
There is NOTHING to stop americans going over to play Snooker
Sure they have to go through qualifying tournaments just like all the british players do too! <--Bigbro

I must have been misinformed then. My apologies.

DSAPOLIS
04-28-2003, 11:26 PM
Ronnie O'Sullivan pocketed $267,600 for losing to Marco Fu 10-6. Not a bad pay day for showing up and having one good game.

pooljunkie73
04-28-2003, 11:48 PM
American shooters are aloud to shoot on the British pro tour.They,like everyone else has to play in qualifing tourneys.It would be like playing in the minor leagues before going up to the NHL.The reason most players don't try to qualify is it is so expensive to stay in the UK for a year.The Embassy tournament had 16 seeded players and 16 qualifers.In order to qualify you had to progress through varios tourneys.hope this helps you out a little bit,and how hard it is to qualify for the pro snooker tour.

Aboo
04-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Could you post a link to the BBC website? I know I have it somewhere but I'm having a bad brain day and can't seem to find it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Everyone says snooker is so much harder than "pool". A lot of balls, a stick and some pockets. How much different can it be?