PDA

View Full Version : Bridge length

CrispyFish
04-28-2003, 07:49 AM
WOW. Last night, for the first time EVER, I lengthened my bridge to about 8 inches, from my usual 4-5. My shotmaking improved INSTANTLY. I was making shots easily that would have been a struggle just 5 minutes earlier.

Needless to say, I'm very excited! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r
04-28-2003, 07:55 AM
Well, I hope it works out for you. Just don't be too upset if you go back to shooting the way you used to shoot. This happens sometimes when the newness wears off. Similar to getting a new pool cue. You always play better with a new cue, problem is, soon the cue is not new and the problems you had before are still there.

Good luck,

eg8r

CrispyFish
04-28-2003, 08:01 AM
I know exactly what you mean! I'll be a little disappointed if my accuracy goes back to its former level. Somehow I don't think that will be the case, though. Since I can see more of the cue, I'm *much* more confident in the direction I'm aiming. It makes a big difference and I expect it will help to develop some consistency that I've been lacking.

TonyM
04-28-2003, 02:52 PM
I think that if someone truly did have a 4-5" bridge, then a bit of lengthening might just benefit them. Imo, that is just too short for accurate sighting of the ball. While a short bridge can produce an accurate hit on the cueball, it is harder to get an accurate sighting on the object ball. Especially for longer shots.

8" is a good compromise bridge length.

Stick with that for a while and see how you do.

Good luck!

Tony
-thinks too short is just as bad as too long....in the long run...

Rod
04-28-2003, 06:36 PM
Wow Crispy, It's not very often I hear or see someone that has a bridge to short. LOL That short bridge is good for some shots, like a little nip draw stroke or anytime your close to the o/b. Remember treat it the same as if your Doctor said take an asprin. Don't take the whole bottle! Just out of curiosity where are you measuring from?

Rod

stickman
04-28-2003, 06:46 PM
CrispyFish, I usually use a 6 to 8 inch bridge length. I shorten up on some of the more delicate shots. Just remember to change the back hand accordingly. If you shorten your bridge, you want to move the rear hand forward also, and vise versa. You want the lower half of the rear arm parallel to the floor at impact. Good luck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 07:17 PM
I used to shoot with a short bridge, then it got longer after watching effren on TV. When I shot left, my bridge was 6-8 inches. Then I started using the same length on the right and that helped my right shooting a little too.

Also , Scott reminded me that it was important to pull the cue all the way back to my fingers, instead of half way.

Other people know what works better for bridges and I try out their suggestions. Well, lots of times. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Rod
04-28-2003, 07:41 PM
Good point Jim on both counts, but I think you meant to say at 90 degrees or perpendicular. LOL It would be a good trick though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

stickman
04-28-2003, 10:41 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Yep, parallel would be tough. Perpendicular is what I meant. Thanks for the correction. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dave
04-29-2003, 08:04 AM
A longer bridge does have some advantages when it comes to increased power and sighting on the ball, IF your stroke mechanics are sound and consistent. Just remember that any flaws that may creep into your mechanics will be greatly exaggerated with the longer bridge. Beginners would do well to stick with the shorter bridge to ensure accurate tip placement/hit on the cue ball and to minimize the effect of stroke inconsistencies; and not view this as some quick fix or secret to the next level of play. It's part of the natural evolution of your skills and comes when your stroke has developed to the point where you are ready (especially if you are talking eight inches or longer). JMO

04-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Crispy,

Wonder if you read the same advice (somewhere online, can't recall, but recently) about the short bridge. I used it some when I was rusty and having a struggle with english, but have eased off it now that I seem to be shooting better. Hope stretching out a little helps your stroke and aim ... both improved almost together, in my case.