PDA

View Full Version : Single game 8-ball tourneys

UWPoolGod
04-28-2003, 09:15 AM
This bar I play at on Sunday nights has an 8-ball tourney. Usually we get anywhere between 12-16 players. Usually play race to 2 winners, 1 losers. However last night they had 25 for some reason and it was a single game on each side. Got me thinking of te odds. Since it is a single game you have a 1/2 chance in each round. Either win or lose. If you win every game straight through the finals it is 1/64 chance to do that. However the odds of losing your first match and then running through the losers bracket to win is 1/2048, same as winning first match, losing second, and then going through. Makes you appreciate staying on the winners side and winning the coin flip so you can break.

Of course getting to last night for me, I broke the first rack and scratched, the guy ran the table sending me to the one loss side. I then kept winning until I got 3rd, guy broke and ran on me to send me home. Still makes you have to play pretty strong pool since it is only one game.

Todd

Tom_In_Cincy
04-28-2003, 10:59 AM
A place in Memphis that I use to play had a Sunday afternoon 8 ball tournament that was ONE GAME single elimination. Most Sundays there were 30-40 players paying $5 each. The bar only had 4 tables.

Lots of fun and even more woofing

Scott Lee
04-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Personally, I love the "rush" of single game tournaments. Absolutely ANYONE can win, regardless of how good the two players are...even a pro and amateur. I brought a concept up to MT a few years ago, called "chip pool", where you get poker chips and turn them in one at a time, as you lose games. If you win, you keep your chips and stay on the table. When your chips are gone, you're out of the tournament...but you get a minimum of 5 chips, so you will play a minimum of 5 matches (even if you lose each one)! The players get to shoot a lot of pool, and it becomes something of a round robin style event. I also pay 50% of the field.

Lotsa fun!

Scott Lee

DebraLiStarr
04-28-2003, 11:21 AM
At Clicks in El Paso, every Saturday they have a 9 ball tournament that is one game matches. You rotate from table to table, and once you have been beaten 6 times, you are out of the tournament. Some people like the format, and some people do not like it. I think it gives everybody a fair chance to compete and actually beat some of the better players, as anybody can get lucky in a one game format.

UWPoolGod
04-28-2003, 11:31 AM
Yeah I played in a large 9ball bar tourney that was full so it was race to 2 in winners and 1 in losers. I made it through to the semis of the winners before losing. I waited for an hour and a half for the losers bracket to catch up...just to have my opponent snap the 9 in on the break. Man I was mad. LOL

Todd

snipershot
04-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Single game tourneys are always a blast because they leave little margin for error and anybody can win. The higher skilled players dislike it because it allows for upsets but it's excellent for keeping beginners interested because they have a fairer chance of winning. I wished there were more of them around here because I sure don't see them all that often.

dg-in-centralpa
04-28-2003, 06:36 PM
I've played in a couple one game tourneys. I kind of like them because there is no room for error. You must be in the zone at all times. Although if you are on the receiving end of a table run and an 8 ball break(this wins), then they would suck. This happened recently to a friend of mine. $10 entry and never got to shoot. He was good about it.