PDA

View Full Version : How to get decent at 9-ball

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Dilemma- I have just played 8-ball.
I played 9-ball with drd and once in an open tourney. That is the sum of my expereince.

APA has a 9-ball league but they count # balls you get in and 2 points for the 9 so it is conceivable to win without getting in the 9.

I wonder if playing this on APA summer league would help me for the fall ccb tourney or if anyone has any other ideas.

Laura

04-28-2003, 11:35 AM
i say go for the 9ball apa league, but if you have'nt played much nine ball. It will be good practice, also look at the table before you start shooting and if you can't run out then dont, run and stick'em leave the troubled balls to the other player, but if you have a good clean shot where you can break the troubled balls then go for it. otherwise if you can't run dont try.

Just my 2cents.

eg8r
04-28-2003, 11:47 AM
In response to your subject line, how about Practice. That is the first step. During your practice play other people in your local PH. Play WW.

[ QUOTE ]
APA has a 9-ball league but they count # balls you get in and 2 points for the 9 so it is conceivable to win without getting in the 9. <hr /></blockquote> None of this matters, if your intent is to get better, points do not matter. The idea is the same...Run out. The more you play the better you will get.

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if playing this on APA summer league would help me for the fall ccb tourney <hr /></blockquote> Can you give a single reason why it would not help? I think a lot of these questions could be answered yourself.

eg8r

Popcorn
04-28-2003, 11:51 AM
All play can help, especially if you are having fun. Playing among the players you will be playing with, you will not need to be a runout player to do well. You can work on throwing out three or four balls and taking ball in hand and getting out. As you get better try adding more balls. The thing about 9-ball is, if you can just get out when your skill level says you should, you will be winning a lot of games, and that may be little more then the last few balls left on the table. Being a solid player to me means, playing your speed what ever that may be at the time.

pooltchr
04-28-2003, 01:44 PM
You are right, 9-ball in APA is different, but the plan to win is still the same. You have to make your shots, and get position on the next ball. For new players, the handicap system for APA 9 ball is really better for you. I know several sl8 and sl9 that hate a match-up with sl 2 or 3. Have fun and enjoy the learning experience.

dg-in-centralpa
04-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Ask any musician "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" Answer is "Practice Man Practice". When you are practicing, shoot a couple racks of 9 ball. Shoot a couple racks on a daily basis. This will help you. Play yourself safe and try to get out of it. Practice 9 ball combos as well, 'cause you never know when they will pop up. Good Luck and keep us informed of your progress.

TomBrooklyn
04-29-2003, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I played 9-ball once in an open tourney. That is the sum of my experience. I wonder if playing on APA summer league would help me for the fall ccb tourney <hr /></blockquote> No, do not play nine ball. Even better, don't play pool at all. Just post and meditate one to two hours a day. In your mind's eye, picture the balls falling into the pockets. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mike_in_iowa
04-29-2003, 12:25 PM
tom, loved your post. Honestly meditating a little each day would be good for all of us, especially pool players. (helps to improve concentration, I think)

But seriously it would help to maybe not spend so much time on the computer. The sheer number of posts you have made have had to take alot of time. This is time that could have been better spent playing pool.

As for what to work on while practicing, if I was you I would use the bert kinisters stuff. IMO there is nothing better then videos #1,5-8 and the mighty x. This is needed to improve your stroke. One hour twice aday will improve your game mightily.

One other thing, I only watch about a half hour of tv a week, do you know why. It is time wasted that I could be hitting balls. STAY OFF THE COMPUTER!!!!

And good luck

mike athens

04-29-2003, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> tom, loved your post. Honestly meditating a little each day would be good for all of us, especially pool players. (helps to improve concentration, I think)

But seriously it would help to maybe not spend so much time on the computer. The sheer number of posts you have made have had to take alot of time. This is time that could have been better spent playing pool.

As for what to work on while practicing, if I was you I would use the bert kinisters stuff. IMO there is nothing better then videos #1,5-8 and the mighty x. This is needed to improve your stroke. One hour twice aday will improve your game mightily.

One other thing, I only watch about a half hour of tv a week, do you know why. It is time wasted that I could be hitting balls. STAY OFF THE COMPUTER!!!!

And good luck

mike athens <hr /></blockquote>

bluewolf
04-29-2003, 02:09 PM
Still not up to snuff , but now up to one hour or a little more of pool a day. Now things are getting better, ie more improvement /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks about the bert kinister stuff. can i get that on accu-stats?

Laura

eg8r
04-29-2003, 02:17 PM
Wow, yappingwolf figured out how to use quotes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Did you forget to type in your own thoughts? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif (joking)

eg8r

Kato
04-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Accustats and Bert Kinnester are seperate entities completely.

http://www.bertkinister.com/bert_kinister_pool_videos.html

And wa-lla

Have at it.

Kato