PDA

View Full Version : Lessons in New York City?

CrispyFish
04-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Who would be a good vict... er, I mean, candidate for me to consult for lessons in New York City?

Steve Lipsky
04-28-2003, 12:21 PM
That's an easy one - Tony Robles or Fran Crimi.

Tony can be reached at Amsterdam Billiards (East Side), and Fran at Corner Billiards (Downtown).

- Steve

CrispyFish
04-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Cool, thanks.

How do these lessons work? Do we play and they give me advice, or do they film me, or what? Do I leave with anything to work with other than what I can remember from the lesson?

Scott Lee
04-28-2003, 12:46 PM
This kind of depends on how often you intend to seek instruction (based on $$$, availability, etc). I videotape all of my lessons (unless it is just one hour), and give a copy to the student for their permanent review. This is because it is difficult to remember more than 10% of what saw, heard, or read even YESTERDAY, let alone 3 months from now! Most of my students only get to see me once, possibly twice a year...making videotape review a necessity for future improvement. If you can go see an instructor several times over a short period (once or twice a week for a month or two, for example), then you can get by without having videotape...although a good instructor will likely use it anyway, to show flaws in your pre-shot routine, and/or execution of the stroke. Nothing like seeing yourself on tv to really point out mechanical and fundamental mistakes easily! Most people aren't aware that they are doing anything wrong! LOL

Scott Lee

Eric.
04-28-2003, 12:57 PM
Crispy,

Steve is right on as far as NYC instructors go. Locally, these 2 have the best reputation. I haven't taken lessons from either, but I have played in tourneys with T. Robles and he does have alot of game knowledge.

I'm guessing that both Tony and Fran can tailor your sessions to whatever you want. My suggestion, bring your own camcorder if you want to tape the sessions.

Eric >could use a lesson too

9 Ball Girl
04-28-2003, 05:21 PM
If you take a lesson with Tony, he'll have you throw out all the balls on the table and shoot them. He'll watch your mechanics, stroke, etc., and then he'll start from there. He'd probably also ask you what areas you're interested in, but he will definitely make you shoot balls in front of him to see what he'll be working with. HTH