PDA

View Full Version : i could use some help

04-28-2003, 06:28 PM
hello

im pretty new to the game of pool, and i am finding it quite enjoyable. i could use a little help on a few things.

i do not understand why i can go on a 4 or 5 ball run and then choke on a very simple shot.. right now im guessing it is because my mechanics are poor. my preshot routine is consitent and concentration is great (sorry if i am arrogant, 5 years of varsity golf engrained that stuff into me, made my schools team in 8th grade, im not on the 5 year plan or anything) wat can i do in the time away from a table? i dont have one. the other thing is wat Cue should i use? im using house cues and was wondering if there is a good cue out there that i could get without busting my limited bank. any opinion on this would be helpful. i like cuetec, my friend has one and i have used it some. wat are names that can be trusted that dont cost a lot?

thanks

04-28-2003, 06:30 PM
o yeah, links to good billiard sites would be very appreciated. mainly catalog types. thanks

Karatemom
04-28-2003, 06:46 PM
Hi. I can give you some links to some good sites that we have used in the past.

www.poolndarts.com (http://www.poolndarts.com)
www.billiardwarehouse.com (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com)
www.bca-pool.com (http://www.bca-pool.com)
www.hawleys.com (http://www.hawleys.com)

As for inexpensive cues, I think some others on the board here would know much more than I.

Heide

04-28-2003, 06:56 PM
well, as for you getting past 4-5 ball runs, first you need to stop thinking that that easy shot is " easy " it's not never look at any shot like it's easy. dont take anything for granted on a pool table.

now for cue selection, their are plenty of good cue makers (i.e meucci,joss,cuetec,schon,predator etc...) but their is one cheap cue that is called a players cue that is good. but you have some great links above. check them out.

stickman
04-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Well, you you have some good links, thanks to Karatemom. As for the choking, it is usually brought on by nervousness and/or lack of confidence in the shot. I try to address this in my preshot routine. If I am not 100% sure of my shot, I stand up and look the shot over again. Only when I'm sure, then I'll bend over the ball, take my practice strokes and confidently stroke the shot. If any doubt enters your mind during the final stroke, you will likely try to correct or steer the ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Of course, a person will still miss a ball now and then.

Experience will also help calm the nerves. Good Luck, Jim

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Whitewolf wants a predator two. My regular pred sneaky pete was too heavy in the back,so a friend took .5 oz out of it. LOL

Laura

Rod
04-28-2003, 07:29 PM
Choking can be putting to much importance on a shot. If you treat that shot in the same manner as the other shots more will fall. It takes time and experience but your far from being the only person that has this happen. Follow Jim's advice on preshot routine, a good routine will do wonders for inner pressure.

Rod

bluewolf
04-28-2003, 07:34 PM
I used to choke on the last ball and the 8 all of the time.I have seen good players do this too.

Last week our strong player was playing a player slightly higher skill level, but about the same ability.

They were hill hill and they kept missing the 8. After the match was over, we were all laughing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

04-28-2003, 09:04 PM
lookin stuff up, Fury Cues... they any good? i know i like irish linen, so i was wondering if they would be worth ~$70, or if i should just wait and figure sumtin else out.

pooltchr
04-29-2003, 06:19 AM
I'm not familiar with Fury, I believe it is a new brand. Probably good quality, just don't know from personal experience. Good advise on Players cues. Good quality most are less than $100. Lucasi makes a great cue for the price in the 150-300 range. Try some different ones out and see what feels good to you

phil in sofla
04-29-2003, 11:28 AM
I see many runs end when the shape to make the next ball is ok, but the position play required to get on the next ball requires doing too much with the cue ball, which causes the miss on the object ball. There are more or less 'ideal' angles to easily get natural shape, beyond which you have to work the cue ball, making the pocketing more challenging. This may or may not be what you're describing. Another thing that comes up is on a simple looking shot, often one is a little lazy, thinking it a cinch, and you don't aim, exactly, sort of going for a zone hit that isn't precise enough.

What you can do away from the table is mentally rehearse simple drills. For example, imagine all 15 balls widthwise across the table, along the kitchen boundary, half table, whatever, setting up long straight ins, making all balls in the foot corners, or drawing the ball back each time for the next ball.

Evidently, if you vividly imagine all the sights and feeling of the sighting, stroking, and pocketing, it is a fair substitute for actually doing the drills. I actually use this one to fall to sleep by.

Aboo
04-29-2003, 04:02 PM
That's a good idea /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif On the "falling to sleep by" I mean. I tend to run racks in my head while I lay in bed trying to go to sleep, but all the thinking about which ball to hit next and which route to take usually just makes me want to go play pool instead of making me sleepy.
Doing a simpler drill might work a lot better /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nightstalker
05-29-2003, 06:00 PM
I use a Fury NR-1, have had it for a few months and it shoots pretty well with the standard tip. A Moori tip will go on it here shortly then I will report back with how that works.