PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted by ccboard_admin

04-28-2003, 06:40 PM

04-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Which league do you play in? I only ask because I play APA and it looks like APA from you post.

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 06:12 AM
Whitewolf can hardly ever post at work, just in the evening, if he isnt too tired.

We play in APA.

Laura

Kato
04-30-2003, 07:20 AM
Whitewolf, a few questions.

How does a SL4 break?

You have a SL3 as captain?

Kato~~~is jealous of anyone who can play off handed.

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Whitewolf, a few questions.
How does a SL4 break?
You have a SL3 as captain?

Kato~~~is jealous of anyone who can play off handed. <hr /></blockquote>

Kato,
I will tell ww about the posts to his thread. It was really in jest as he was tring to be funny.

Just know how I break. Hit cb in the center, a little low so that it does not scratch.Balls fly all over the place but they do not usually drop. Every now and then, I do a crappy break also, especially to a loose rack.

Scott taught me how to lag.My offland is good on short shots , short banks and ocasional long shots but not very good on the long ones. I started yesterday to get long straightins with my off hand and was whooping, jumping up and down. LOL

Laura

Aboo
04-30-2003, 09:17 AM
Well, I'm an sl4 and captain our APA team. Our sl7 does the coaching most of the time though. Our team is kind of "special" though. Most of them are teachers at a tech school and/or work odd hours. Since I am always at the pool hall, I'm the "reliable" one :P So we always have someone there to start the match, and the rest of them come straight from work as they can. Gets frustrating for me sometimes, but our sl7 shows up about a half hour into the match every night like clock-work, so I have someone to verify stuff with. My first session as captain is almost over, and it went fairly well actually :P

We didn't make the play-offs, but mainly because I'm the only person who has had the time to practice regularly. :P

Kato
04-30-2003, 09:49 AM
I realize after re-reading my post that I seem condensending towards lower level players. I came off very badly there and I didn't mean it. I realize captaincy is more based on team management than anything, skill level isn't important. I make the mistake of generally associating skill level with someone who is inexperienced, my bad.

I just found it interesting that when the Wolves joined there was an SL4 going to an SL5 that ended up an SL3 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

Kato
04-30-2003, 09:50 AM
Laura, I have very few serious bones in my body. Ask anyone that knows me.

Kato

Aboo
04-30-2003, 09:53 AM
No big deal. 9 times out of 10, even after an 18 week session the other captains talk to our sl7 about arguments, who's up next, etc... and he still has to point them to me. Makes some of them mad, buy hey, that's why I'm there :P

bigbro6060
04-30-2003, 10:12 AM
we don't have standardised levels here in Australia and i think i am glad we dont

i think you can pidgeon hole yourself too much by your level

i judge my level by who i can beat

04-30-2003, 10:20 AM

Kato
04-30-2003, 10:25 AM
On my APA team I am the "captain". In all honesty, I consider myself the "personel manager". I'm grooming another player for the job next year since I don't want it and never did. I don't coach, it slows the game down too much. As the season goes on I do less and less in the decision making process, I don't have the constitution for the job.

Please let it be known to all in the Kingdom that I do not frown on lower ranked SL's being captains as long as they are league savvy. I frown on myself as one though /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif(even though I'm in first place and am flat out stealing. Who else would be smart enough to put together a bunch of 9-ball players who have rankings in APA to shoot 9-ball in an 8-ball pool room? It's like stealing without sandbagging).

More power to all the captains. It takes a special person to put up with a bunch of pool players.

Kato

Kato
04-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Please read below. You're answer makes perfect sense for your situation.

Kato~~~I think there are only 3 weeks left in the current 9-ball session

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Laura, I have very few serious bones in my body. Ask anyone that knows me.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Kato,

I know that. We have seen our captain make decisions in put ups which appeared to not make sense. But, in spite of all of that, we are in 2nd place in the top tier.

We have one 7, one very good 5, one very good 4, one good 4, one weak 4, unless he goes back down,then 1 sl3s and 2 sl2s. I think that the team is too bottom heavy, which I think is one reason I have not gotten to play very much.

It has gotten so I do not know how many I have played 18 or 19, I just know that it is less than 20.

Our 7 and 5 nearly always win and somebody else nearly always wins. I think it is just that we have a fairly good team. When we left last week, last match, our captain was getting beat by a medium 2 (who I had beaten 2-0 earlier in the season). He had put up our other 2 with a 4 early on. Our 2 was shooting good, but what makes him a weak two is that he folds under pressure. It is not lack of ability.

The 7 and the 5 have already told our captain that they are going to make the decisions in put ups during the playoffs.

I think a higher sl whould be captain personally or at least do the putups and the scoring. It is hard in our league to find someone to do this. Both 4s want to play early and leave. The 5 and the 7 do not want to be captain and/or scorekeeper. In spite of my low sl, I wanted to do it because I do know how to keep score and mark safes, but ww has to get up at 5 so does not want me to do this.

Our three really has a hard time with the put ups. I think that we are doing well because we have 4 out of 8 people who are good at their sl.

Our other 3, who has now been promoted to 4, shoots good when he is sober, but once he starts drinking, plays very bad, plays like a real crappy three or so.

There is me and the other two. I do not shoot quite as well as he does, but he folds, I do not.

So, in a long way of saying the sl3 is the only one who was willing to take the job.

We thought it was funny too when he said he was a 4 going on 5 and then went to a 3.

Laura

pooltchr
04-30-2003, 10:42 AM
One problem is easily fixed. I make sure everyone on my team knows how to keep score. I will score the first match, but then whoever finishes playing keeps score on the next match. It's not fair for one person to keep score all night. Another fun suggestion. We have a scratch fund where if you give your opponent ball in hand, it costs you a dollar. At the end of the session, we have a party/cook-out for the team with the scratch money.

Aboo
04-30-2003, 10:42 AM
LOL - I know you don't look down your nose at those of us who suck at this game :P I've read your posts :P

Although... are you saying that a 9-ball player will beat an 8-ball player, at 8-ball, given the same general skill level? LOL THAT I will argue over till I'm blue in the face. hehehe

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 10:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> Kato, Bluewolf said she would be captain next time, but I think the players may be thinking twice after she suggested that one of our players s/b a three instead of a two /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif during the handicapp review period. <hr /></blockquote>

WW, the particular two was doing very well and looking like a three. Then it became apparent that he folds. Also you are the only one I was talking to. It is not like I was blabbing this to the whole team.

Also I have not been part of the handicap review before so did not realize you weren't supposed to evaluate your own team members. But I mark safes more fairly and accurately than anyone on our team and know how to keep score very well and ask questions when I do not know something.

In fact, I believe recently, I told you that I hoped that he could stay a two until he learns to deal with pressure. When that happens, he will be a fine three.

Anyway, if I were a captain, I would take the advice of the higher sl players on put ups more than our current captain does. I believe optimally, these kind of decisions should be made by persons who know the players strenghts and weaknesses. In your case and our 5, you have been in this league for a very long time and frequently know the opposing players too.

Laura

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 11:09 AM
One disclaimer-

I have a seizure disorder and it is not regulated well yet. So I try not to drive. WW , since he has to get up very early, would have to wait very late, to drive me home, which would not be fair to him.

So that is another vote against me being a captain.

Laura

Kato
04-30-2003, 11:12 AM
Just so you know, my APA league is 9-ball. I hate 8-ball and only play the game one time per week for 3 games. Even the players on my 8-ball team practice 9-ball during 8-ball league. I don't play in a handicapped league in 8-ball, it's open to everyone, no skill levels. 90% of the players would probably be APA SL 7's.

No, I believe a 9-ball player will beat an 8-ball player of the same skill level in 9-ball. 8-ball is a different animal all together. I just watch the players in my league flail around aimlessly at the game even though they play decent 8-ball. I consider myself an average 8-ball player but would still be ranked as an SL7 in APA. There is however, no comparison between my 8-ball and 9-ball game.

It's an interesting arguement for a different thread (PS. I won't be starting it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Kato

Kato
04-30-2003, 11:22 AM
Laura. Lower skill levels will "fold" consistently during a run, that's why they are that skill level. As their skill level improves they will "fold" less. I'd be willing to bet your SL7 (WW) "folds" less than your SL5 who folds less than your SL4 who "folds" less than your............you get the picture.

Laura, if Whitewolf has to drive you home because he wakes up early then you should not be captain. You should just take your turn at the scorers table like everyone else and be happy that you got to spend time with your husband doing something you love to do. Just my .02

Kato

PS. I don't know about other captains on the board but I think it (being a captain) sucks and I like everyone on my team. It's the act of being the "captain" I don't like.

Rod
04-30-2003, 11:30 AM
WW,
I've never been a captain, thank God. It's a job I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! However I would wish it on my friend Kato, oh the joy of it all. LOL

Rod

Fred Agnir
04-30-2003, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> PS. I don't know about other captains on the board but I think it (being a captain) sucks and I like everyone on my team. It's the act of being the "captain" I don't like. <hr /></blockquote>I've been playing leagues straight on since January 1988. I've been captain all of one session, spring of '89. I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be captain again. The captain is a team manager. There's no other requisite. I ain't it. I'd rather not be captain, nor coach, though the latter falls upon me. I'd rather just be the clean-up hitter and not be called on to address the media.

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks being the captain blows.

Aboo
04-30-2003, 11:36 AM
I kind of figured you were a 9-ball player, as are a lot of the posters here /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I agree that the two games are totally different, but yet strangely alike. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I didn't want to start an argument, although I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of the board. I just might start that thread...

Anyway, I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread either.
My personal game is 8-ball and Straight Pool. I play 9-ball if someone wants to. I have a problem dropping my quarters into a box and only using half the balls. Since I normally play on bar-boxes, that is the reason I don't play 9-ball more often I guess.

But, I would never refuse a game of pool. Ever. Balls, a stick and some holes. To me, all games are the same, only the strategies for each differ.

Kato
04-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Thanks Fred and I think Rod to for letting me know I'm not alone.

Kato~~~will not be captain after this session.

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Laura. Lower skill levels will "fold" consistently during a run, that's why they are that skill level. As their skill level improves they will "fold" less.

Laura, if Whitewolf has to drive you home because he wakes up early then you should not be captain. You should just take your turn at the scorers table like everyone else and be happy that you got to spend time with your husband doing something you love to do. Just my .02

Kato
<hr /></blockquote>

For some reason I do not fold.Maybe being a safety player has something to do with it. If someone runs 5 balls and they have 2 left and I have 7, this does not bother me, because I know I can hide and hide and hide, while I pick mine off. Also, the people I play do not run out, as they are not a whole lot better than I am. Also, for some reason, I do not notice the whole match, just the game I am in. Sometimes I do not know if I am on the hill or they are, and sometimes thouoght they beat me, only to find out there are more games to go.

Also, like you say it is a night out for us and a chance to see some people we like.

Laura----&gt;practicing Jake's drill

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 03:35 PM
I think that folding is caused by the person thinking that the world will come to the end if they do not win. They think so much and sometimes it is ego or thinking they will let the team down.

Once I found out that I win some and lose some, I was able to focus on the game I am in. Sometimes I safe better than others and some players are easier to safe than others. I usually shoot good but sometimes the other person shoots better and wins.

I think this lets me play in the game I am in and just play my best and feel good about the match if I played a good match, irregardless of whether I win or lose.

Geez, it is not the us open and there is no money on the line!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

04-30-2003, 03:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I think that folding is caused by the person thinking that the world will come to the end if they do not win. They think so much and sometimes it is ego or thinking they will let the team down.

Once I found out that I win some and lose some, I was able to focus on the game I am in. Sometimes I safe better than others and some players are easier to safe than others. I usually shoot good but sometimes the other person shoots better and wins.

I think this lets me play in the game I am in and just play my best and feel good about the match if I played a good match, irregardless of whether I win or lose.

Geez, it is not the us open and there is no money on the line!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

I Dont fold either.

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 03:55 PM
I have another nice wolf pic you can have if you want it. All you have to do is put it on angelfire.

Laura

Kato
04-30-2003, 03:59 PM
I don't think missing a shot constitutes folding. People make mistakes all the time. I could run a rack of 8 ball or 9 ball and make countless mistakes during that rack. Didn't mean I folded. Just means I'm human. You do have the right idea though. Shoot the rack, no pressure, have fun. That's amatuer pool at it's finest.

Kato~~~not the finest amatuer however I do realize my amatuer status is not in jeapordy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
05-01-2003, 04:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I don't think missing a shot constitutes folding. People make mistakes all the time. I could run a rack of 8 ball or 9 ball and make countless mistakes during that rack. Didn't mean I folded. Just means I'm human. You do have the right idea though. Shoot the rack, no pressure, have fun. That's amatuer pool at it's finest.

<hr /></blockquote>

Last time I played, I got beat by a top three. He might have been a sandbagger (others said he was and was better than our legit top threes), but the point is, yes, I missed shots, but yes I played well. I was told that i had played like a decent 3, which is good. I shot good, he just won due to shooting better.

In playing a game, I am trying to win. In gaging how well I played, it is very much an individual sport. So I felt good about how I played even though I missed some shots and even though I did not win.

Here is a funny. Another lady on the same team said she won her first matches and was a 4 and how hard she had to work to be a 3 and she did not want to be a 4, because it is too hard. When I told her I had beaten a couple of 4s, she told me she beat a 6 the week before.

I thought that it was funny that she would admit to a player from a different team what a sandbagger she is.

Even though sandbagging is wrong, these are folks who, if in the future I beat, are a gage of my improvement.

I do not sandbag but since others do,once how I played became more important than whether I won or lost. so no pressure, just a desire to keep improving and playing well.

Laura