PDA

View Full Version : Two long cuts

bluewolf
04-29-2003, 02:44 PM
Am okay at most short ones but here are two long ones I am working on.

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OG7H5%Pg4P9%WH9I3%Xf3P6
)END

I am getting sort of okay on that one but this next one is very hard for me.

START(
%A[4A6%BZ7\6%CB9\2%D[4B3%E[0\3%FB8[9%GB8[6%H[8A8%IB7[7%Jt9B7
%KB7\0%LN0L6%MB8[8%NB9\0%OB7C3%Pg3P8%WO2M8%Xf4P6
)END

I could not get the drawing right with the lines but it gives a general idea. Now I do not know if these are hard shots or it is just a beginner thing. I have made these before in matches but very inconsistent especially the second one. I do practice these among other things every day.

thankx.

Laura

jjinfla
04-29-2003, 02:53 PM
Laura these are just normal cuts. I suggest you just move the cue ball closer to the object ball, like 3 diamonds closer. Then start practicing that shot until you can make it 10 times in a row. Then move the CB back a diamond and practice that shot until you can make it 10 times in a row. Then move the CB back another diamond. Well, you get the picture. Jake

Tom_In_Cincy
04-29-2003, 03:23 PM
Good advice JJInFL

In addition to what JJ offered, make sure your alignment is correct, aim is very important at this distance.

Lots of 14.1 players are often faced with these cut shots at shorter distances but miss anyway.

I like to put a little top english on the cue ball when there is a lot of distance between the cb & OB. The top (maybe about ½ tip of top) makes the cue ball roll straighter IMO, and eliminate any swerve from a miss hit.

Looking at the base of the OB last will help also.

04-29-2003, 03:31 PM

Tom_In_Cincy
04-29-2003, 04:01 PM
WW,

I already know that LOW would increase my chances of missing this shot.

Popcorn
04-29-2003, 04:25 PM
Interesting problems arise in shots due to the way they are positioned on the pool table. It often comes from the path the cue ball is going to take after the shot and the direction you are facing in relation to the intended pocket. Look at the two examples below. No1 is an easy shot. No2 is the same shot but is much harder.

START(
%AQ1H5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PV9O9
)END

START(
%Af3I0%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%P\5F6
)END

The shots are almost the same amount of angle both right to left, just a little different on the table. This is not to answer your question, just interesting when it comes to shot making. A lot of things affect the making of the shot.

bluewolf
04-29-2003, 04:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Laura these are just normal cuts. I suggest you just move the cue ball closer to the object ball, like 3 diamonds closer. Then start practicing that shot until you can make it 10 times in a row. Then move the CB back a diamond and practice that shot until you can make it 10 times in a row. Then move the CB back another diamond. Well, you get the picture. Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried your suggestion on the easier of the cuts. I am slightly better on cutting to the right corner so i missed one on the left before I got it right. I moved it 2 diamonds up, then when they were going in many times in a row, then I moved it to the side pocket diamond and did it to the left and right pockets. Then when I could do that well, I moved it back to the foot spot and did it much better. Thanks. I will practice your drill some more. The second one I need lots of practice on. thanks again.

Off to my birthday dinner and more pool practice after that.

Laura

ps. my berne book just got here...

bluewolf
04-29-2003, 04:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Good advice JJInFL

In addition to what JJ offered, make sure your alignment is correct, aim is very important at this distance.

Looking at the base of the OB last will help also. <hr /></blockquote>

The main things I do after lining up the shot and alignment is doing two things that Scott taught me. Making sure i am hitting dead center on the cue ball and pulling back the cue to my fingers on the preshot and stroke. Thanks to Scott, I have good fundamentals, but very much lack of experience and needing much practice.

I look at the base of the ob on my straight ins and do pretty good on those. I never thought of doing this on cuts. i will try that. Thanks.

Laura

bluewolf
04-29-2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks popcorn. I will look at these shots tonight after dinner etc.

Laura

Popcorn
04-29-2003, 06:50 PM
It is not really meant to mean anything, it is just interesting how the angle and length of the shot does not really matter as much as the perception of it. One person may fear shots that don't bother another and visa-versa.

Rod
04-29-2003, 07:41 PM
Laura,
Don't forget making balls is only a small part of the game. You can practice those shots all you like but that just makes you more familiar with the shot or angle. "Every" shot you shoot attention should be on the c/b afterwards. You need to know where it's going as well. In practice pay attention to the general line. In your first example if you shoot less than lag speed you can play position on the 13, fact of the matter is you can play position on any ball on this table. The line is approximate but it's good to experiment with speed and not just making the shot. Making a ball is just that, you made a ball. Playing pool is making the ball and knowing where the c/b is going. Even if it's making the 8 ball to win the game, you still need to know or have a close idea of c/b direction.

Your second shot is about spot shot angle, you can play position on any ball by stopping the c/b in this area. You should practice closer to the shot in the begining, but all I'm doing is giving you some ideas instead of just making a ball. Set them up as you choose but you'll learn faster when you pay attention to where whitey is going and your stroke speed.

START(
%A[4A6%Bm3G1%CB9\2%D[4B3%En4H6%F`7W7%G]7W7%H[8A8%I\8G2%Jt9B7
%K`2G1%LN0L6%Ml9W2%Nm4T6%OB7C3%Pg3P8%R[1^9%T_4^9%UD0S2%VM8L9
%WO2M8%Xf4P6%YK6Z7%ZC5S7%bd2O4%c]3R6%dL7Z7
)END
Rod

caedos
04-29-2003, 08:00 PM
With regards to effective delivery of the Cue Ball to a target by cueing above or below Center Ball, I have one physical assessment that may sway those who are uncertain about this issue:

- In striking the Cue Ball at or below Center Ball (referring to the core of the ball, not the surface), the Cue Ball is skidding as it leaves the tip of the cue stick. The effective friction between the ball and table bed is very small when compared to a ball that is rolling naturally, and any cueing errors AT ALL will have a greater effect on the path of the cue ball. All balls that roll far enough acquire natural roll, and a Cue Ball that is cued with topspin already wants to roll naturally and will correct itself to natural roll almost immediately in the event of minor cueing errors. This is why it may be preferable for a player to use a follow shot when either follow or draw will lead towards equally successful results.

Exception: on less than perfect tables it is often preferable to cue some shots at a higher speed with only enough bottom spin on the cue ball so that it is rolling naturally by the time it reaches its target. It's one way to roll the cue ball a short distance forward after contact while minimizing the effects of rough cloth or an off-balance table.

Carl

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

Popcorn
04-29-2003, 09:03 PM
Having said that, I believe from what I have seen, most top players, do cue the cue ball below center a higher percent of the time. I feel far more confident shooting with a low ball stroke on, say a shot I really want to cinch. I don't think I would want to hit the cue ball high if I have a choice. Is this just Me or does anyone else feel that way? When spot shots were common, most players fired them with draw and would draw to the side rail. I don't think I saw many roll a spot shot.

caedos
04-29-2003, 09:23 PM
Popcorn,

I agree with you one-hundred percent, that the upper tier players cue below center quite often. Would you agree that this may be that it's easier to control cue ball speed this way? I would. The trade-off then is that it takes more precision to make the object ball. Otherwise the cue ball has better speed control, but the shooter misses the object ball (and gets leave instead of shape!).

Carl

mickey2
04-30-2003, 01:09 AM
To practice long cut shots I like to play 14/1 with ball in hand from the kitchen after every shot.
To practice a specific shot it’s much better to practice it separately. It might me be also a good idea to practice shoots progressive within a practice session.
Example:
START( %A[4A6%BZ7\6%CB9\2%D[4B3%E[0\3%FB8[9%GB8[6%H[8A8%IB7[7%Jt9B7 %KB7\0%LN0L6%MB8[8%NB9\0%OB7C3%P_0O6%Q]7P5%Ra4P4%WO2M8%X]9O3 )END

If you practice with cueball from position A, also play a few from position B.

I always set up also the ‘mirror image‘ of a shoot to practice them on the other side. Interestingly, if there is a bigger angle my ‘left side‘ tends to be the weaker one.

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 05:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>

The people I play are usually not that good at shape, even the sl4s, except the ones that are almost 5. I know a little of that, but on a long cut, as long as it does not look to be a scratch shot, I just want to get it in and use the natural angle of the shot off of the rail.When I practiced the first shot, I was using centerb and it did not scratch, but the cb was left near the center of the table at the upper end, which was okay with me.

I can play a little shape on the short stuff only, i mean english. I am also not that experienced at top. On a short shot, I can get the ball back to the middle of the table, hitting fairly soft with ie and draw. If I use oe it runs down to the other end, where I dont want it.

They do not play me against players my sl, hardly ever. They usually play the other sl2 against the sl2 on the other team or a weak sl3. When I play, it is usually against people above my sl. I can make short banks and the long easy one to the corner pocket. The thing that seems to separate me from say a low to medium sl4 is being able to make that long cut. I have depended too much on 'guile' to beat them and of course i also had a spot. I just want to get better at the long cuts which come up frquently so that i can be better.

The second shot I think might be too hard because ww said it was and he missed it a couple of times before getting it.

The other thing is that our seven wins, our 5 wins, so when I play, they expect me to beat a good sl3-4, so that we can win the match. It kind of puts pressure on me, but the added competition has allowed me to see my weaknesses also.

On thursday, the other team will play 4 sl4s or 3sl4s and their sl3 who has been a sl4 before.Our 7 will beat their 6(they dont have a 7) and our 5 will beat a 4. They will put our weak sl2 or a sl3 on their sl3 if he plays.

If I play, they will be expecting me to beat an sl4,because I have such a huge handicap advantage and since I beat the other sl4s I played. But I beat them with psychology, I guess, lots of weird safes and causing them to fold.I would rather have better skill so i win because of skill, not just because I kill them with safetys.

Laura

Ps ww started teachng me safes when I first picked up the cue and then scott and randy taught me different cb speeds, so that is why safe is easier but it is time to get better at shooting long, as the short ones are easy.