PDA

View Full Version : Corporate support for Earl

Rip
04-29-2003, 09:39 PM
It's nice to see a little support from a national sponsor with extremely deep pockets. Here is the link from AZ Billiards site. It's a step, although a small one, in the right direction for the game, IMO.
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000pressrelease.cfm?id=118

Rip

eg8r
04-29-2003, 09:41 PM
I think that is awesome.

eg8r

Kato
04-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Can't beat that with a Cuetec.

Kato

snipershot
04-29-2003, 11:08 PM
This is great for Earl, hopefully Budweiser will sponsor more players or other big name companies will follow up on this.

BillyRinNC
04-30-2003, 12:40 AM
Congrats Earl.

Billyrin NC

Scott Lee
04-30-2003, 01:16 AM
Rip...Although I agree in principle, this is NOT a sponsorship. The local Bud distributor has agreed to pay for an exhibition! That's really all this is. Cuetec sponsors Earl...Anheuser Busch does not. Who knows? That may change, but it's not likely, given the flighty nature of the alcoholic beverage industry. I like Earl, and in no way am I trying to rain on his parade. However this is calling it like it. It is just an exhibition by a multiple time world champion, paid for by a local business. Just a misuse of the word "sponsor" imo. If that were the case, I am sponsored by over 100 colleges and universities every year! LOL HA! I wish!

Scott Lee

Ralph S.
04-30-2003, 05:01 AM
Scott, I agree with your point of veiw, but there always is an outside possibility that there mey be something in the works as far as actual sponsorship goes. Afterall, Earl is one of the most proven when it comes to winning and playing for the big$$$. That is what corprate sponsors want anyway, someone who can win or is in the hunt on a very high percentage of the time. Just look at Nascar as an example. Corporate sponsorship can be a real dog fight sometimes.

jjinfla
04-30-2003, 06:17 AM
Sounds like Bud is testing the waters to see what kind of a following Earl will draw. Sorta like a pilot in TV. If the exhibition does well then I can see nothing but good times ahead for both Earl and the pool world. Earl will be the magnet to draw the players and fans. I hope the other great pool players see this and assist Earl in anyway they can. They will all benefit in the end. Jake~~~I can see Earl now...this Bud's for you!

Steve Lipsky
04-30-2003, 07:37 AM
Scott, that is pretty funny. I read the press release and figured it was written pretty shoddily for a corporate PR department. My immediate response was to think there was no way this could have been Budweiser.

Your post confirms this. I am truly happy for Earl, and am appreciative of any sponsor though.

- Steve

Fred Agnir
04-30-2003, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Can't beat that with a Cuetec.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>Maybe he can have a special Budweiser signature series made.

Fred &lt;~~~ will drink to that

Popcorn
04-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Before Miz got sick, he did these all the time. He would appear at conventions, trade shows, corporate get together, that had nothing to do with the billiard business. Often they would have a table for him to play on. He even had a package he would send out, to promote himself. He was a more well known celebrity though then most other pool pros. I think John Madden opened a few doors for him after they got to know each other from the miller lite thing. Either way, no one came breaking down Steves door offering him gigs. He learned to be a great self promoter. A lot of the players that knocked him due to jealousy, should have been taking a lesson. Hopkins is the same way, He is a hard worker with his Expo and his little bit TV stuff. We all benefit from their work, the trouble is, all the rest of the players don't seem to do anything to help themselves. I want to turn on the TV and see a pool players doing commercials. I want to see Fisher saying, "When I am in a tough match, I have no time for a headache, so I use Excedrin." Combine this with the something amazing done on the pooltable and you have a commercial the public will remember. The Miller lite spot done by Miz was very highly rated, yet it was never copied by another advertise with another player. Curious. The Earl thing sounds more like a paid gig and not any kind of sponsorship

pooltchr
04-30-2003, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I want to turn on the TV and see a pool players doing commercials. I want to see Fisher saying, "When I am in a tough match, I have no time for a headache, so I use Excedrin."
<hr /></blockquote>
How about Jeanette for Pantein? "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me for running 5 racks of 9-ball on you!"

Popcorn
04-30-2003, 10:34 AM
Thats it, Even the goofy wrestlers do commercial spots. Pool has such a great visual value, It would be easy to incorporate it into any product. The idea is to get the people to watch and remember your product. A commercial has to be seen dozens of times, before someone immediately knows what it is they are selling the second the commercial comes on. Advertiser do all kinds of things to make the public recognize their product. A commercial combined with something amazing, taking place on a pool table will have them watching, not leaving the room, isn't that the whole idea. Why does this make so much sense to me, and no body is doing it?

pooltchr
04-30-2003, 11:31 AM
How about an update to the Miller light "cat-fight" spots..." I like to win with a break and run" "I like On the snap" Break &amp; Run! On-the Snap!.....

Cueless Joey
04-30-2003, 03:20 PM
This is a step in the right direction.
But, Efren is paid to endorse and promote San Miguel Beer and Mcdonalds.
I think if the pro players here conduct themselves in better manner, they too can earn hefty contracts like what Efren has now.

Popcorn
04-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Pool players just don't have a clue. They think you wait for opportunity to knock. The truth is, you have to go and look for opportunity. When you find it, you will have to drag it to you, kicking and screaming as it tries to elude you. Success is almost never an accident, and wishing will never get you what you want. Most don't understand the difference between wishing for something and working for something. Only one produces a result, the other finds you sitting on a bar stool complaining how life is unfair.

Ralph S.
05-01-2003, 06:40 AM
Some others would be:
&gt;Jasmine Ouschan- Coca-Cola
&gt;Jeanette Lee- Canadian Club whiskey

Predator314
05-01-2003, 08:33 AM
hahah... he will have to give up that lousy cuetec for a lousier budweiser cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott Lee
05-01-2003, 10:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> Some others would be:

&gt;Jeanette Lee- Canadian Club whiskey
<hr /></blockquote>

Ralph...Jeanette is NOT sponsored by CC. She was paid a flat fee for appearing at several regional tournaments, and once at the national finals. Sponsorship, like the local Coca-Cola bottler in Austria for Jasmin, is an ongoing relationship. However, I agree with you that it is definitely nice to see even local "corporate" involvement with pool!...the more the merrier!

Scott

dave
05-01-2003, 11:50 AM
One thing that I have learned over the years about seeking financial support for your organization, program, or yourself as an individual; is that you first have to demonstrate that you/it has developed to the point where you already have a self sufficient, fiscally responsible product with an identified market that has some awareness of you. Otherwise, they don't want to take the risk. In academia as an example, in order to receive grant support or an endowment, you (ironically) must first demonstrate that you don't need the money for the program or project to survive and continue. The sponsor, or funding organization, only wants to get involved if there is a reasonable guarantee of success and very little risk involved for them. So, as you say, sitting around and waitng for someone to offer you money/sponsorship before that has happened (That you are a marketable product with a built in market that coincides with their targeted demographic group) is a waste of time.

dave
05-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Earl meets all of those criteria for Budweiser.