PDA

View Full Version : Playing offhanded

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Kato~~~is jealous of anyone who can play off handed.

WW remembers this differently. There were certain easy rail shots or easy cuts that I could not get to with my right. I started using my left. My stroke on that side was wobbly and my bridge was even worse. I hated the mechanical bridge and at that time, did not really know how to use one.

I could barely get in this 'offhanded'shots. I started practicing just a little with it and in time, my stroke and bridge got a little better.

In time I became almost as good with both hands. This was not an automatic thing at all.

ww also started learning offhanded but it is more natural to me because, well I think, my dominance is not as strong as his, but for me, it was over time and trying to correct certain deficiencies.

Just start trying it. It does come in handy from time to time.

Laura

Perk
04-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Offhanded can save you in a few shots and is definately worth it to practise alittle. As competitive as you sound Laura, it is my opinion though, that you should focus solely on your natural hand. I only say this, because to improve you must practise consistently the same, especially at the lower level stage.

I believe that as much time that you put on this board that you obviously enjoy the game. I also believe that you must get alot of practise time on a real pool table. I think that it would be easy for you to get up to a 4/5 level or whatever your goals are if you concentrate on one hand only. There are only a few shots that you need to work on with the off hand to save you in a pinch, so it can be wasted time. Just my thoughts, and good luck with the remaining weeks of APA.

Fred Agnir
04-30-2003, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Just start trying it. It does come in handy from time to time.<hr /></blockquote>

I'll echo, or reiterate or something. No I won't. I'll just link.

My thoughts on amphibious shooting (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=57707&amp; page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

Fred &lt;~~~ agrees with someone

Rod
04-30-2003, 12:42 PM
I play off handed, I use to make games that way. Now days I shoot some shots off handed just because I'm to lazy to stretch a little. LOL It comes in very handy to draw or follow a table length when I can't reach it right handed. Ya there is always the bridge but shooting with force will put a ding in the shaft, which I can't tolerate.

Rod

Kato
04-30-2003, 12:46 PM
I've tried it and can't do it. I use the bridge fairly effectively.

Kato

Popcorn
04-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Mike isn't amphibious, pool is, I think, the only thing he does lefty. I agree with you as to playing one way and sticking with it. There is too many things that have to work to play well and I don't think they would be equal with both hands. The placement of the feet head over the cue alignment and so on. I have known players that played pretty well with both hands, but you could really tell when they were playing off handed. Something just doesn't look right.

mickey2
04-30-2003, 01:33 PM
You have to watch Ronnie O'Sullivan switching from one hand to another during a frame.
Once he switched, as fare as I remember, he continues his run with the hand.
He is playing century breaks 'offhanded' during tough competition.

9 Ball Girl
04-30-2003, 02:25 PM
I'll just call you the 'ol switch hitter. Or maybe not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 03:09 PM
I hardly ever practice with my left hand. I just use it on shots I cannot reach with my right.

Thanks for your compliments, though.

Laura

snipershot
04-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Being able to shoot with your off hand has so many advantages, when I first started there was nothing I hated more than a shot where I couldn't use my natural hand and the bridge wouldn't help much either, these shots were pretty rare maybe one in a hundred but they came up enough that I finally chose to learn how to shoot with my off hand.

I really feel no player should go without this skill, I prefer using the bridge but will shoot off handed on occasion, shots that require this may not come up very frequently but like you pointed out it certainly comes into use from time to time.

Snipershot

bluewolf
05-01-2003, 05:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> Being able to shoot with your off hand has so many advantages, these shots were pretty rare maybe one in a hundred but they came up enough that I finally chose to learn how to shoot with my off hand.

I really feel no player should go without this skill, I prefer using the bridge but will shoot off handed on occasion, shots that require this may not come up very frequently but like you pointed out it certainly comes into use from time to time.

Snipershot <hr /></blockquote>

Actually you are right in a way that they do not come up real often. The major ones more me are when they are near the rail that I cannot reach with my right without being Houdini /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The ones I shoot mostly offhanded,other than the rail ones. Then when shooting with my right on shots that are clumbsy, I mean they are an easy shot with my left, short shots like this one in the wei, which are guesses with the right (unless you are real good) and easy by shooting with the left from the other side of the table. These typically come up sometime during the match.

I did not draw this exactly right but I mean the ones that are almost impossible with right hand on one side of the table and very clumby or requiring a lot of strtching with the right on the other side but are easy with the left.

START(
%AJ1E8%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PQ8H5%WK3F4%XP9H1
)END

rail shots right (substituted other ob for cb to get in same pic)

START(
%Al4D7%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%Ec6D7%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NI7Z3%OJ5M0%PN7Z9%WK1Z9%XM5[1%Yk3E3%Zd1D8
)END

rail shots left

START(
%Ao5Z3%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DQ0D5%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HH7D7%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pe7Z3%Wm9Z4%Xf3Z7%Y I7E1%ZP2D7
)END

short rail shots seem to be able to be shot with either.

jmho

Laura

Perk
05-01-2003, 09:55 AM
Instead of off handed, go behind the back on the rail shots like you showed...very easy to get consistent with minimal practise and you still have the same stroke arm for the english/touch.

Works for some, may work for you.

bluewolf
05-01-2003, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> Instead of off handed, go behind the back on the rail shots like you showed...very easy to get consistent with minimal practise and you still have the same stroke arm for the english/touch.

Works for some, may work for you. <hr /></blockquote>

Seen people do that. Think it works for them. I would probably boing somebody in the head with the cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

snipershot
05-01-2003, 04:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> Instead of off handed, go behind the back on the rail shots like you showed...very easy to get consistent with minimal practise and you still have the same stroke arm for the english/touch.

Works for some, may work for you. <hr /></blockquote>

It does work extremely well for some, I've seen it done a million times and some people have it down perfect. Of course I haven't been able to shoot this way comfortably /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Oh well, I just use the bridge for these shots, I'm so comfortable using it I have no need to learn how to shoot behind the back, It sure does look good though.

TomBrooklyn
05-01-2003, 05:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> My thoughts on amphibious shooting (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=57707&amp; page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)<hr /></blockquote>Is this where you can shoot from both land or water? I would encourage Laura or anyone who wants to get better at shooting offhand to do so. I don't think the time spent on it will hurt their regular game.

bluewolf
05-02-2003, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I would encourage Laura or anyone who wants to get better at shooting offhand to do so. I don't think the time spent on it will hurt their regular game. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Tom. In fact, 90% of my practice is with my right. I shoot in a few balls with my left to keep it from getting rusty. Then there are those few days I am shooting crappy with my right and better with my left. I think that I do not think so much with my left but have way more expereince with my right.

Laura

bluewolf
05-02-2003, 06:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I agree with you as to playing one way and sticking with it. There is too many things that have to work to play well and I don't think they would be equal with both hands. The placement of the feet head over the cue alignment and so on. I have known players that played pretty well with both hands, but you could really tell when they were playing off handed. Something just doesn't look right. <hr /></blockquote>

It is funny what you say about the stance, popcorn. When i play with my right, I have a more traditional stance.When I play left, it is square, elbow elevated. Both feel natural though.

Most people do not notice when I switch. ww says that is because I look natural offhanded, rather than clutzy. he says his offhand feels unnatural. We used to play as a spot he had to play off handed and he actually got better with his non-dominant hand that way.

Laura