PDA

View Full Version : CCB Tournament (Extended Thread)

Tom_In_Cincy
04-30-2003, 11:24 AM
Just for the dialup posters (makes it quicker to get new posts...YEAH!!!)

Well, I for ONE, will be having a Great time with all the previous CCB members that I met last year.

The Bickering (John in NH) mentioned was primarily from the CCB members that didn't show up at the US Open.

With First, Second, Third and Fourth places recieving NO Cash, I think this tournamet would be really up to a lot of WOOFING and a very FUN time.

Everyone needn't worry about the score.. because there may be a prize for any amount of wins. Drawings for the numbers between 0 and 20 games might just be used to determine prize winners.

Lots of little fun things can happen.. not just loads of coffee, asprin, beer and burgers, maybe even some extra CCB KeyChains might appear.

Positive responses, volunteers, sponsor donations, anyone wanting to talk to sponsors, let me know.. We can do this and make it fun for everyone.

Kato
04-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Now that's what being a Grand Pooh-Bah is all about!!!!!!! Tom's right though. Most of the bickering came last year from people who didn't show. Those who did had a blast.

The question is this. If anyone was interested in "robbing" the tournament, will they come now?

Kato~~~is still coming to "rob" the tournament. Fixin' on takin' one of those trophies home.

WesK
04-30-2003, 11:39 AM
There was bickering?

I don't remember any. Just a great time.

wes

Kato
04-30-2003, 11:48 AM
I'm fairly certain that in between eating, drinking, playing pool, watching pool, and generally having such a good time that we didn't have time to bicker. However, there may have been some bickering on the board before the tourny. I don't think any of those people were there, except for that Mike M guy, no one really likes him /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

Ross
04-30-2003, 11:55 AM
I have a suggestion for a way to run this tourney so that there will be few worries about playing abilities. It is a doubles format, and "quasi"-round robin:

Say there are 32 players (works with any multiple of 4 though). Play the tourney in rounds as follows.

Round 1: Everyone randomly draws lots for the numbers 1-32. CCB'ers with numbers 1-4 go to the first table, 5-8 to the second table, and so on. The two lowest numbers at each table are partners at each table, as are the two highest numbers. All tables play a partners race to 4 (should take about 1 hour for the slowest team to finish). That is the end of round 1.

Rounds 2-4 (or so...): CCB'ers again randomly draw numbers 1 -32. Repeat process of round 1.

This way, new partnerships and foursomes would be repeatedly formed. Each players score would be the total number of games he/she won after all of the rounds have been completed. A chart would be set up listing all 32 players, and the number of wins for that player recorded after each round. The four players with the most wins could have a playoff for everyone to watch (say races to 3 semi-finals and final).

This way all of us would get to play with multiple partners (and what guy hasn't had fantasies about this! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif sorry, couldn't resist!) and different sets of opponents. The random angle will help even things out, so no one would have to be "rated" before dividing up. We could probably get 4 rounds in during an afternoon, followed by the semifinal and final individual matchups. The semi and finals would offer an additional opportunity for spectators to maximize their woofing, perhaps accompanied by liberal consumption of their beverage of choice.

What do you all think?

Rich R.
04-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Well said Tom.

This is one tournament, where it is not about winning and losing. It is all about the FUN . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
04-30-2003, 12:09 PM
Sounds good to me, Ross.

Here's a suggestion:

Have 2 separate groups for the re-draw every round. All the "A" side players redraw and all the "B" side players redraw. This way a 0 loss player won't be paired with a 1 loss player giving him a true double elimination chance.

Eric

Rod
04-30-2003, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kato~~~is still coming to "rob" the tournament. Fixin' on takin' one of those trophies home.
<hr /></blockquote>

Ya we know, outside of running "post count" up you claim to need weight from mickey mouse. Kato, the trophy ringer! LOL

Voodoo Daddy
04-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Bikering? Who has a problem with Bikers? Oh...BICKERING...oops...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I remember having a great time...meeting some jam-up people...watching KATO cook a cow and never gonna forget..."ONE TIME EARL"!!!!

Ross
04-30-2003, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Sounds good to me, Ross.

Here's a suggestion:

Have 2 separate groups for the re-draw every round. All the "A" side players redraw and all the "B" side players redraw. This way a 0 loss player won't be paired with a 1 loss player giving him a true double elimination chance.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Eric, under the format I suggested no one would be eliminated in the partners rounds. All 32 (or so) players would play every round. Since everyone would get a new partner each round chance alone should ensure that you get some strong playing partners and some not-so-strong partners. Of course you could get lucky every time or unlucky every time, but that would not be that common.

The appeal of this approach is that we wouldn't have to rate players as A or B. I think we should avoid that because I don't think any of us could do it accurately for everyone, and to avoid hurt feelings (if you felt you were underrated), or feelings of unfairness (if you believed you were overrated).

If you really wanted to insert more balance than chance alone you could do it this way. At the end of round 1, the 16 players that lost their matches could draw from the even numbers for the next round, while the 16 winners would draw from the odd numbers. This would ensure that in the second round, each new partnership would have one member who had belonged to a losing partnership the previous round and one member from a winning partnership. (Remember, for each round the partnerships after the new random draw are 1&amp;2, 3&amp;4, 5&amp;6, ...) Repeat this process after each round of play.

At the end of the rounds I suggested the option of picking the 4 players with the most wins in all of the rounds to compete in an individual semi-final and final just to add a competitive component complete that the other 28 or so of us can play spectator to. This would be the only time that everyone wasn't participating (unlike a DE tourney).

Amanda
04-30-2003, 01:19 PM
LOL Voodoo! I had forgotten about that guy at the USOpen. How could I forget? He was sitting right next to me after all. I'm looking forward to being there this year again (crossing her fingers).
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Amanda

Kato
04-30-2003, 01:34 PM
Amanda, are you the Amanda that I met or the other Amanda that I didn't meet. 'Cause if you're the one I met I thought you were from Jersey or NYC. I'm so freakin' confused.

Kato~~~~natural blonde.

Amanda
04-30-2003, 01:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Amanda, are you the Amanda that I met or the other Amanda that I didn't meet. 'Cause if you're the one I met I thought you were from Jersey or NYC. I'm so freakin' confused.

Kato~~~~natural blonde. <hr /></blockquote>

Dear Freakin Confused,
Yes I am the Amanda you met /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif And I live in Maryland, but its ok Kato, we were all pretty well sleep deprived during that time. I'm still here, been lurking alot and not posting so much. Life is good and still playing all the time. In fact I'm running a 9-ball tournament tonite. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
So what you givin up this fall Kato? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Amanda (yes me, not the other one)

MikeM
04-30-2003, 02:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I'm fairly certain that in between eating, drinking, playing pool, watching pool, and generally having such a good time that we didn't have time to bicker. However, there may have been some bickering on the board before the tourny. I don't think any of those people were there, except for that Mike M guy, no one really likes him /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

You're just jealous because I'll be getting a BIG hug from Tram tonight!

Eat your heart out.

MM

9 Ball Girl
04-30-2003, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> This way, new partnerships and foursomes would be repeatedly formed. Each players score would be the total number of games he/she won after all of the rounds have been completed. A chart would be set up listing all 32 players, and the number of wins for that player recorded after each round. The four players with the most wins could have a playoff for everyone to watch (say races to 3 semi-finals and final).

This way all of us would get to play with multiple partners (and what guy hasn't had fantasies about this! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif sorry, couldn't resist!) and different sets of opponents. The random angle will help even things out, so no one would have to be "rated" before dividing up. We could probably get 4 rounds in during an afternoon, followed by the semifinal and final individual matchups. The semi and finals would offer an additional opportunity for spectators to maximize their woofing, perhaps accompanied by liberal consumption of their beverage of choice.

What do you all think? <hr /></blockquote>

Music to my ears. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wendy&lt;---feeling frisky but all talked out with no action

Kato
04-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Didn't you ask me the question last year? I'm not givin' up anything, I've probably only played about 30 times since you've seen me last. I'm blind in one ear, old, and deaf in both eyes. I'll need the 6 wild, the call 7, the smacks and a few on the wire to a couple. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~shrewd negotiator

PS. Thanks for clearing that up Amanda. I sometimes don't always know the things I thought I knew. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kato
04-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Yep, didn't like you when I met you, like you even less now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato~~~merely has a picture of said young lady

bluewolf
04-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Don't let Amanda fool you. She is better every time I see her play. She is an upcoming pro and I am looking forward to her status in the upcoming months. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Kato
04-30-2003, 04:40 PM
You're right Laura. I'll ask for more weight.

Amanda, I'll take the orange smash and the blood ball. 3 on the wire to 5 and just to make it fair you have to play right handed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~ever the shrewd one.

SpiderMan
04-30-2003, 04:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> This way, new partnerships and foursomes would be repeatedly formed. Each players score would be the total number of games he/she won after all of the rounds have been completed. A chart would be set up listing all 32 players, and the number of wins for that player recorded after each round. The four players with the most wins could have a playoff for everyone to watch (say races to 3 semi-finals and final).

This way all of us would get to play with multiple partners[/b<hr /></blockquote>

[b]Music to my ears. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wendy&lt;---feeling frisky but all talked out with no action <hr /></blockquote>

A former girfriend once told me she'd always fantasized about having two men at once ... one cooking and one cleaning /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

05-01-2003, 09:40 AM

Eric.
05-01-2003, 09:55 AM
I'm an unsuspecting CCB'er.
What do I have to spot up and how much are we playing for?

Eric

Amanda
05-01-2003, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> Well, I guess I will have to bring a few extra bucks to stake out Bluewolf. Eight ball only bets!

Tom, I know your 'grand pooh-bah' unwritten policy is not to discuss on the forum the results of matches between 2 CCBers, but do you really think you can suppress everythng when Bluewolf takes the cash from a poor unsuspecting CCBer who has criticized her for so long about her SL?! Let's see, I think its time to start the list now. Who wants to play Bluewolf shooting as an SL 2 in a game of 8 ball? Just how many days are left Kato? <hr /></blockquote>
I'll take some of that action, whats the race/bet? I don't think Laura and I have ever played before. It'll be fun /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Amanda

Kato
05-01-2003, 12:25 PM
How many days left? Yesterday it was alot. Today it is alot minus 1.

Action with Laura? Nah, I've only been playing pool for 10 years, I've never seen those kinds of safeties like Bluewolf lays down. In addition I'd just have to run out every rack, who wants to play like that?

I'd back Eric but I watched him play 9-ball for 3 hours last year and he only made 2 long cuts, 3 simple bank shots, struggled with his consistency, and couldn't play effective enough safes for his skill level /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd back Mike M but he only seems to be able to beat Bye

I like Amanda's game but she doesn't eat enough pancakes.

I'd back Killer Break but he beat me last year so even though I thought him rather pleasant I can't back him.

I think Tom Cincy would be a good choice because even when he has an easy shot he will play safe, it would be a good matchup. Bluewolf and Tom Cincy could play 8 ball for 4 hours never make a ball and just play safe on each other. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Instead I'll back Chris Cass. That guy can't play a lick. It would be fun to see Bluewolf tie him up in knots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When Rackmup and I matched up in Naples a few months ago we posted the results. It was all in fun, of course, I thought I would win. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato~~~~the Bluewolf road show, coming to a town near you.

9 Ball Girl
05-01-2003, 01:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Kato~~~the Bluewolf road show, coming to a town near you. <hr /></blockquote>

Let's hope it's not a full moon the day/night of the CCB Tourney!

Ross
05-01-2003, 02:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> This way, new partnerships and foursomes would be repeatedly formed. Each players score would be the total number of games he/she won after all of the rounds have been completed. A chart would be set up listing all 32 players, and the number of wins for that player recorded after each round. The four players with the most wins could have a playoff for everyone to watch (say races to 3 semi-finals and final).

What do you all think? <hr /></blockquote>

Music to my ears. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wendy&lt;---feeling frisky but all talked out with no action <hr /></blockquote>

You're a BAD girl, 9-ball girl. BAD GIRL! I would say you have to be punished, but you would enjoy that too, wouldn't you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ross ~Wishing there were more like you!

Kato
05-01-2003, 02:29 PM
Come on Ross, only 2 more posts and you're qualified!!!

Bad girl Wendy, bad girl (not so secretly likes bad girls and also not so secretly likes good girls but prefers the elusive and difficult to find good/bad girl).

Kato

bluewolf
05-01-2003, 02:54 PM
I do not play nine ball. Yesterday on our 8 ft, I broke a nine ball rack and got them all in in two innings against myself. What a hoot!!! Definately beginners luck. Bet I will never do that again /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif And I did not even safe myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Laura

SpiderMan
05-01-2003, 02:55 PM
Amanda,

Note that WW slyly said you would have to play her "as a 2". Her skill level with good coaching could be significantly better by then, but your race would still be 7 to 2. Of course, you might be a higher-level 7 and if so no problem. I'd jump on her if I were going to be there and we could play on nine-footers.

If BW played as a 2 and was matched up this fall against a potpourri of 3, 4, 5, and 6 skill levels, I suspect I'd come out ahead overall if I bet on her every time.

SpiderMan

bluewolf
05-01-2003, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Amanda:</font><hr>
I'll take some of that action, whats the race/bet? I don't think Laura and I have ever played before. It'll be fun /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Amanda
<hr /></blockquote>

I doubt I would ever make it to the table against you, unless we had alternating breaks. Then I would get to practice my 9 ball break. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

MikeM
05-01-2003, 03:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>
I'd back Mike M but he only seems to be able to beat Bye

<hr /></blockquote>

Would I ever talk trash like that to you? It's DOUBLE on now!

MM...I own BYE

9 Ball Girl
05-01-2003, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> You're a BAD girl, 9-ball girl. BAD GIRL! I would say you have to be punished, but you would enjoy that too, wouldn't you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ross ~Wishing there were more like you!
<hr /></blockquote>

Thank you Ross! May I have another?!

9 Ball Girl&lt;---as naughty as you want her to be...

9 Ball Girl
05-01-2003, 05:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> not so secretly likes bad girls and also not so secretly likes good girls but prefers the elusive and difficult to find good/bad girl

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmm. I not so secretly but secretly likes "innocent" looking blonde guys that like the elusive good/bad girl combo.

Wendy~~~Kato, you are so in for it when I see you in 5 months!

bluewolf
05-02-2003, 05:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

If BW played as a 2 and was matched up this fall against a potpourri of 3, 4, 5, and 6 skill levels, I suspect I'd come out ahead overall if I bet on her every time.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Might want to rethink that Marty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last night I played so bad against two munber two in our league. Man I was shooting the worst I have ever shot since I began. The only reason I won is because I played 15 safes in three games. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

btw, I start 9ball league in two weeks /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
05-02-2003, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

Might want to rethink that Marty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last night I played so bad against two munber two in our league. Man I was shooting the worst I have ever shot since I began. The only reason I won is because I played 15 safes in three games. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

btw, I start 9ball league in two weeks /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I don't understand - you did win, correct? And the "only reason" is that you did what made sense at the time? Looks like I collected on that bet, eh?

SpiderMan

Ralph S.
05-02-2003, 07:35 AM
With Spiderman winning all these bets, I'll bet we start seeing him wearing one of those bookie style visor caps with a big cigar hangin outta his mouth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
05-02-2003, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>Bad girl Wendy, bad girl (not so secretly likes bad girls and also not so secretly likes good girls but prefers the elusive and difficult to find good/bad girl).

Kato <hr /></blockquote>
"When I'm good, I'm very, very good. But when I'm bad, I'm even better." --- Mae West /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bluewolf
05-02-2003, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I don't understand - you did win, correct? And the "only reason" is that you did what made sense at the time? Looks like I collected on that bet, eh?

Yes I did win. A little 'klingon guile' does come in handy at times.

Laura

05-03-2003, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> Well, I guess I will have to bring a few extra bucks to stake out Bluewolf. Eight ball only bets!

Tom, I know your 'grand pooh-bah' unwritten policy is not to discuss on the forum the results of matches between 2 CCBers, but do you really think you can suppress everythng when Bluewolf takes the cash from a poor unsuspecting CCBer who has criticized her for so long about her SL?! Let's see, I think its time to start the list now. Who wants to play Bluewolf shooting as an SL 2 in a game of 8 ball? Just how many days are left Kato? <hr /></blockquote>

Voodoo Daddy
05-07-2003, 03:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Amanda:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> Well, I guess I will have to bring a few extra bucks to stake out Bluewolf. Eight ball only bets! <hr /></blockquote>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Amanda <hr /></blockquote>

ALL MY DOUGH IS ON AMANDA.....Wait...hell maybe Amanda would take me as a partner &lt;talk about a dead-man&gt; and we could play the Wolf's...some ANYTHING? Post and play, thats what I say.

Disclaimer: Voodoo has not played in months and will not/nor never has practiced for anything pool related. Its truly a one-side match with me as a partner cause my partner has to do all the work. I also had no plans going to Norfolk but for a partners challenge match...anything is possible!!

Having said that...any bets from the rail?