PDA

View Full Version : Viking with Predator shaft?

dmgwalsh
05-01-2003, 04:48 AM
I'm looking to get a cue. I was looking at the Predator line and I was also looking at the vikings. I like the looks of some of the vikings. The predators aren't much to look at in the lower price range. I was thinking of maybe a VM-13 and a predator shaft for around $525. What do you guys think?
(I just got a vm26 off ebay and it feels pretty good. It was advertised as a vm21, however and I may send it back. I've tested a predator and like the hit)

pooltchr
05-01-2003, 05:52 AM
IMHO, If a shaft is straight, and has a good tip on it, the average player won't notice much difference between MOST of them. (There are a couple of brands that are worlds apart from the rest in the way they hit) If you like the cue and it feels good, it's probably fine. I assume if you are asking this question, you are not at the higher skill level yet. I have seen players switch cues every few months from Viking to Lucasi to Predator and even to custom cues. The cue didn't make their game any better. Only practice time will do that. Get one you like, get comfortable with it, and plan on keeping it for a while.

bluewolf
05-01-2003, 06:00 AM
The price for your proposed cue is about $600.You can get a nice looking pred for about $700 or a custom.See www.hawleys.com (http://www.hawleys.com)

Also we shot with the new pred2 at valley forge. They have changed their butt technology and hit better than the previous preds. Yes they are plain but worth it, imo.
see www.predatorcues.com (http://www.predatorcues.com)

In my expereince, at first the look is important. In time, I do not notice the look, but boy do I ever notice the hit. Also a plainer looking cue is less likely to be lifted in the ph. I have literally taken my pretty blackheart to the bathroom with me!!

If you really want a nice looking cue but dont want to spend an arm and a leg, you will get more bang for your buck with a blackheart. He makes a nice looking cue for a very reasonable price.Also, with a custom, an extra shaft often comes with it too. It is hard also to beat the hit of a blackheart. I have also heard good things about custom layani and omen cues. Not sure about the price.

I have one (blackheart)that is just as pretty if not prettier than the one you propose for 200 less. I am sure others have similar stories.

Why not shoot with a pred sneaky pete until you get the cue of your dreams?

Laura

05-01-2003, 06:07 AM
well, as far as cues are concerned i personally still like meucci's, preds hit very nice but am finese shooter so i like the glide i get from my meucci. another important point is not only having a good shaft but also having a great tip, le pro are ok, but i like moori tips. imo i think you should take your time and look throught a variety of different cues when you find that one that makes you feel good, then stick with that cue, i've had my cue since 2000 and i dont want to give it up for anything. oh yea brunswick make a hell of a cue also.

bluewolf
05-01-2003, 06:09 AM
One more thing. The balance point. There is back,mid and forward balanced cues. I like one that is more mid balanced. My hubbie likes a forward balance.

Most production cues except meucci, for instance are more back balanced. This could make a difference in how comfortable you are with the cue.

The pred shaft is very light. If the butt is already back weighted, imo, with a pred shaft, it will seem even more back balanced.

It took me about 6 months of playing to figure out the balance I wanted. At first I played with a forward balance. Then I got a very plain blackheart that was mid balanced. At the same time, I had a pred sneaky pete, which was more back balanced. The blackheart had the balance I wanted.I actually had weight taken out of the back of the pred to give it a balance that was okay for me.

It comes down to personal taste, imo

Laura

cheesemouse
05-01-2003, 06:22 AM
Dennis,
For fear of fueling the Preditor vs Other cues debate and in lue of your statement that you've all ready hit and like the preditor shaft I would point out one practical fact about being a 314 shaft user: If you break a 314 shaft it can be replaced with another that will hit the same so you avoid grab bag asspect of replacing a traditional shaft.

Fred Agnir
05-01-2003, 06:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> I was thinking of maybe a VM-13 and a predator shaft for around $525. What do you guys think?<hr /></blockquote>I think:

If you are used to and like the Predator shaft, then sticking with a Predator shaft is a good idea. The caveat is that different joint styles will make the shaft feel different. So, even though performance (squirt characteristics) from one Predator to another should be in the same ball park, the difference in feel might surprise you.

If you like the looks of a Viking, then the VM13 is a good representation. Personally, I'm not a fan. Beauty is in the eyes of the individual nutcase. I think that's what they say.

If you like spending over $500 to pamper yourself, go for it. I'm all about pampering. But personally, I'd pamper myself with something else.

Fred

Predator314
05-01-2003, 07:13 AM
I think the Predator shaft is great on any cue. I had a Helmstetter cue with a Predator shaft. I liked the way the shaft played so well, I just sent all my business to Predator when I bought a new cue. I got a Predator 2 cue. It's pretty plain looking, but plays great. I actually love the way it looks. The glitter black with silver highlights is cool.

05-01-2003, 07:17 AM
err predators, imo pred sucks, the shafts just dont feel all that great to me, and they hit like any other cue. i once said predators hit like players cue.

i like the wood on wood joins, i want to feel the hits.
nothing personal to pred users.