PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot with a really light cue?

Michelle
05-01-2003, 02:47 PM
I was shooting with a 17.5 oz. Predator for a while, then bought the SPWU, which could only go down to 18.5. I haven't been 100% happy with it, so I picked up a friend's not-quite-18-oz. SPW last night, and my game immediately improved.

I know the average weight in the pros is 19 - 19.5, and there was a BD survey a while back that posted only like 4% or 7% of people shoot with even an 18 oz. cue.

I am pretty average in height and weight, and probably have even a little more upper body strength than average, so it's not like having a girl who's only 5', 98 lbs. shooting with a light cue.

Does anyone else shoot with a really light cue? Can anyone give me an idea of why this work for me so much better?
I know that I have a pretty good stroke, and maybe I just have more control with less weight? I'm just really surprised by all of this, because most people just don't have luck with a lighter stick....

Eric.
05-01-2003, 02:59 PM
I shoot with an 18 1/2 oz cue. It might not be considered super light but lighter than "average". For some reason, this seems to give me the best "feel". I don't like the heavier cues because to me, it feels like I have to try harder on finesse shots or shots where I need to draw/follow 1 ball width (for example).

It's almost like trying to shoot pool after lifting weights-my game goes out the window for a day or so.

Eric >waiting for my game to come back in the window

bluewolf
05-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Heavy cues make my back hurt. I like 18.5

Laura

WesK
05-01-2003, 03:30 PM
My cues run from 17.5 to 19.5 oz depending on the shaft and butt combination.

When I am shooting well, I tend to like the lighter sticks because the feel is the best and I have the best control. I done prefer to play with finesse rather than power.

When I am not shooting well, I tend to go heavy. To the point that I will play with a 21 oz break cue.

My principle is to let the cue do the work (a'la VooDoo). That being the case, I let the heavy cue "steer itself" until my confidence comes back and I trust my stroke. I then go back to the lighter cues.

For what its worth, I am currently shooting the cues in the 18.5 - 19.1 range depending mostly on the speed of the table. Faster table = lighter stick.

I used to shoot Predator shafts with MH Mooris on all of my cues. Now, I shoot plain shafts (the stiffer the better) and seem to favor Talisman XH Pro tips.

wes

WesK
05-01-2003, 03:51 PM
I forgot to mention earlier that balance is everything. Much more important than the weight.

So, with those sneaky petes that you are using, the shafts all probably weight about the same. Therefore, the weight difference may all be in the butt end. This would have a marked difference on the balance of the cue.

All of my cues have either a very neutral balance (at least for the way that I hold them) or a slightly tip-heavy (forward) balance. And, while they differ in weight about 2 oz across the range, they all have about the same balance to them.

wes - thinks that butt-heavy cues are the hardest to play with..

Cueless Joey
05-01-2003, 05:35 PM
My opinion is people who shoot with cues weighing less than 18 oz are elbow droppers. They like to muscle the cb.
I don't see why anybody would shoot with a cue lighter than 18 0z. That is just too light when you let the cue go or slide. It doesn't have enough weight to stay on the ball imo. Unless you muscle up the ball.

Vagabond
05-01-2003, 06:11 PM
Howdy Texan,
Four years ago While on the road I played an elderly genleman who played with a 16 Oz cue.We played one pocket.He played Pro speed.He, in the past, was a road player. Recently , in North Carolina,I played one pocket with 15.5 to 16 oz snooker cue from the wall and did OK.Cheers
vagabond

teen1216
05-01-2003, 07:46 PM
I shoot with an 18 oz cue. My house cues that came with my table are even lighter. I prefer a lighter cue, though the ones that came with the table seem a bit too light. I've played with heavier cues including a 21 oz, and I like 18 better.

bluewolf
05-02-2003, 06:04 AM
Personally, I think elbow dropping is in the stroke. WW does not drop and he plays with a 17oz cue.

We have both had extensive lessons with Scott Lee and a no elbow drop was ingrained. I also took randy gs pool school and it was further emphasized.

When I began to shoot offhanded more, my offhand elbow was dropping. I called scott for suggestions on how to fix this problem.

As regards to balance, his 17 oz feels heavier to me than my 18.5 because it is so forward balanced.

Laura

disclaimer-no expert, just had good instruction and sometimes that stroke I was taught will save my a**

Predator314
05-02-2003, 07:12 AM
I shoot w/ a 19.5 oz Predator 2. I tried an 18 oz cue and my stroke just felt "wobbly" at best /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NBC-BOB
05-02-2003, 07:48 AM
If the lighter cue feels more comfortable to you then go with it.You could try replacing the butt screw with a lighter weight screw and see how the weight and balance feel.Just a thought!

Rich R.
05-02-2003, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WesK:</font><hr> I forgot to mention earlier that balance is everything. Much more important than the weight. <hr /></blockquote>
Michelle, Wes makes an excellent point here. A well balanced cue will feel much lighter, when in the shooting position. I let a friend use a 19.5 oz. cue of mine one time. He couldn't believe the weight, when he asked, because it felt so light to him. He thought it was 17 oz.

I believe you have access to a large number of cues. If you happen to have a Tim Scruggs cue in the house, check it out. His cues have the best balance of any, I have ever tried.

05-02-2003, 10:46 AM

Michelle
05-02-2003, 11:56 AM
Hey, thanks for all of the reposnses!

I like the idea of keeping a heavy cue around, for those times when you are just not shooting well, and want a little weight to calm your stroke down until you get going again - I will definitely keep that in mind.

I don't have a problem with elbow dropping -- Rabdy G. curred me of that years ago! So, I know that is not an issue.

I guess I am just going to go with it...it seems to work for me, and why fight that?

Now all I gotta do is make sure I never take my eyes off the target when I stroke, and I might actaully get good at this game! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cycopath
05-02-2003, 02:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr>He also like a triangle tip - a cheap tip indeed, but he claimed that it also performed well for him. <hr /></blockquote>I shot with a Moori for a while and then I had a shaft made and all the guy offered was one piece tips so I had him install a Triangle. And it worked great. By no means would I say it was any better than the Moori. But with my playing ability I certainly couldn't see a significant improvement with the Moori over the Triangle.

I'm still shooting with a Triangle.

05-03-2003, 10:58 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I like a light cue, 18 oz.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif It just feels right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LC3
05-04-2003, 01:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WesK:</font><hr> I forgot to mention earlier that balance is everything. Much more important than the weight.<hr /></blockquote>
Absolutely. A 19.5 oz Jacoby I had felt like a barbell compared to my friend's 19.9 oz Mottey (if he hadn't told me, I would have thought it was about 18.5 oz), and the Mottey was so much nicer to play with. Now when I have a cue made, I go to makers who are known for their well balanced cues and ask them to keep it between 19.5 and 20 oz. I'd rather have exact balance and approximate weight than the other way around.

Billy
05-04-2003, 01:44 AM
does anyone shoot with a really light cue?

hmmm ... while in Wales a couple of years ago,I met a young snooker player(Chris Melling) that played pool with a 12oz 8mm tip snooker cue.

I might add that the kid played at a very high level of pool as well as snooker

is that light enough?

Billy