PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a "arch-rival" or nemisis?

Aboo
05-02-2003, 11:13 AM
I do /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif She is an old lady in my APA league. She is in her late 50's (I think, and NO OFFENSE to anyone who might be in her age bracket by the "old" up there.)
And for this whole friggin session she has been stomping me.

Until last night! I knew we were playing her team this week and for the past week and a half I have been trying to play 3-hours of pool a day to get ready for her. She is a wicked safety player and rated as an sl5. She is a good sl5.
Well, I dogged an easy 8-ball shot after a nice run to get on it in the first game... And she ran 4 and out. The second game we played a little cat and mouse but she missed a tough cut into the side and I got out on her. 1-1
3rd game, I broke and made nothing, she ran 4-5 balls and hooked herself, I ran out. 2-1
I broke the 4th game and made nothing again, this time she ran a couple and hooked me, but I shot out of it and made a nice position play (for me) with outside draw to get on the 8-ball for my final shot. Even she cheered for me when I made that shot! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif (My draw is/has been a notoriously weak part of my game, but I have been working on it, hard.)

But I beat her, finally! Sorry for sucking up you all's time, but this was a big thing for me and I had to share it with someone.

Here's the draw shot,

START(
%Ar8L7%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%Hn3N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pq6X1%Wr7N5%Xq3W0%]k1X1%^s4N1
%eC2b0
)END

not super difficult, but again my draw control has not been this good in the past, but my hard work is paying off. Normally, I would hit this either way to soft or over-compensate and hit it way to hard...

Michelle
05-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Well, not necessarily one big nemesis, but there are some players I come across in leagues that I really want to beat, because I know they are good players.

There's a guy named Tom, whom I've known for years, and is a customer, but I don't play at his regular place anymore, and I know his game has gotten good, so when I beat him, I was pretty ecstatic.

I beat one of Randy G's pool school teachers in leagues once too, and I feel like that's a pretty big accomplishment!

There one girl here who, if she took the time, would probably do very well on the pro circuit. Orietta Strickland, and she's on my Vegas Women's Open team.
I don't come close to her in 9-ball now, but if there is anyone that I strive to some day beat consistantly, it would definitely be her...I figure, if any girl (or guy for that matter) can take her regularly, than you got a game.

Predator314
05-02-2003, 12:35 PM
There is one guy that I wouldn't call my nemesis, but we really battle it out when we play each other. He would always beat me in the long run. However, I shoot about 2 balls better against him for some reason. I love it. I crushed him in our state tournament last week (not even letting him shoot).

eg8r
05-02-2003, 12:49 PM
I used to have a nemisis and we would get together to play every thursday (where are you rackmup), friday and saturday. I use the word "every" very loosely but I do mean often. Well this nemisis has found a new job that keeps him very busy and he cannot come out and play anymore. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I need a new nemisis.

eg8r

SpiderMan
05-02-2003, 01:09 PM
Michelle,

How is O playing these days? I never see her because I don't hang out at Hawley's (smokiest *!!%!&# poolroom in Texas). 5 years ago I would have said she could hold her own against good male league players, but it sounds like she's gotten better.

She's certainly distracting, in a visual sense /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

MikeM
05-02-2003, 01:21 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Michelle
05-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Orietta qualified through Hunter Tour last year to play in the WPBA event in FL in Dec. Unfortunately, she went down there and was ill, so she didn't fare as well as she hoped, but there's no reason she wouldn't give any of the pro girls a run for their money.

Allison Fisher is making an appearance at Pugsley's/Hawley's in the fall because of Orrietta though.
This will be the 7th year that Orietta has put together a 9-ball tournament benefititng the Genesis Women's Shelter, and when she went to FL, she talk to Allison, who agreed to come to the tourney. She will be doing challenge matches, autographs, the whole thing....I'll be making a post here and there annpounding the tourney on CCB and RSB over the course of the summer.
The tourney is Sept. 6-7 and here's a link to their site: www.genesistournament.com (http://www.genesistournament.com)

snipershot
05-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Everybody should try to find an arch-rival on the pool table. The motivation you will get from wanting to beat this person can do wonders for improving your game. My arch-rival is and always has been my father, he introduced me to the game and the first 100 matches I ever played were all against him, out of these 100 matches I think I won one or two when he scratched on the eight ball.

That was a few years ago and now when we square off the games are ultracompetitive, we want to beat each other so bad the games often become too serious to be enjoyable, anyways I think I beat him about 60% of the time now (he won't admit it) and still shoot with him alot. It's great having your own father for a nemesis because we don't go lengths of time in between matchups, we probably play 2-3 times a week and it's simply excellent games.

Any other good arch-rivals out there?

Snipershot

Aboo
05-02-2003, 01:42 PM
I definitely agree with you on the motivation aspect! There was a noticable improvement in my game this week. Not just against her either. After league lets out a lot of the players play games against one another for drinks, or pocket change, dinner, etc... Well, I don't drink when I shoot, and I had already eaten but I beat 3 people handily that usually are really tough matches for me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif All in all, the evening was great motivation for me to keep practicing, period /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
05-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Yes, I've got an arch-rival, nemesis, enemy, foe, whatever you want to call it. It's myself. I beat myself up on the table more than my opponent does. I am, to say the least, my own worst enemy.

Heide ~ has a hard time kicking herself in the butt - my leg won't reach that far!

Kato
05-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Your nemisis is the one and only Christ Cass /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif He is your anti-hero.

Mike M is not my nemisis. I'll pound him into bone meal at a moments notice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think my real nemisis is Jackpot George or my cousin Mike. Both better players than myself. Phil in SoFla used to be my nemisis but not any more.

Kato~~~but in real life don't have a nemisis.

SpiderMan
05-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Michelle,

I played the Genesis tournament about 5 years ago. Mike Rowden and I took second. Fred Gardner and his partner beat us in the finals. I did win a set nice set of Bert Kinister videos and autographed elephant balls for the break-and-run contest. The whole thing was a lot of fun. Is the tournament still Scotch doubles?

I was also the guy that donated the custom-carved slingshot for the charity raffle. Don't know if you were around back then to remember it though.

SpiderMan

dg-in-centralpa
05-02-2003, 03:05 PM
I "had" one nemesis for several years. I just couldn't get the better of him no matter what I did short of shooting him. This year I took him out in a tournament and it felt great. I have one more who got a slight advantage on me this year. I lost in the tournament before I got to play him. He told me he was glad because he didn't want to play me. Oh well... there's always next season.

Karatemom
05-02-2003, 03:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Your nemisis is the one and only Christ Cass /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif He is your anti-hero. <hr /></blockquote> Okay, I suppose you're right. Christ and I are both very competitive and I hate playing him because he wins an awful lot against me. He sees angles and shots that I don't, and it pi$$es me off and makes me proud that at 10 years old, he shoots as well as he does.

Heide

WesK
05-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Wow...

WesK
05-02-2003, 04:07 PM
It appears that RJ has no respect for you whatsoever...

Regarding your tagline: Shouldn't it be...

"Let me be the Ddog that people think I am".

w

Mikey
05-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Yes, I'd have to say my son, we get together maybe once a month, he's a hellava 9 ball player but when it comes to 8 ball he can't beat me, but on another note, back in 1996 when I was playing APA 8 BALL, i WAS A sl-6 AND GOT BEAT 5-2 BY ANOTHER sl-6 , i HAD A BAD NIGHT AND KNEW i COULD BEAT THE GUY. i TOLD MY CAPTAIN , NEXT SESSION NO MATTER WHAT i WANT TO PLAY THIS GUY. WELL, NEXT SESSEION WER'E PLAYING THAT SAME TEAM, AND THEY PUT HIM UP 1ST, I TOLD MY CAPTAIN HERE WE GO, ANYWAY TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT I BEAT THE GUY 5-0 IN 3 INNINGS(2 BREAK AND RUNS AND 3 1 INNING GAMES) NEEDLASS TO SAY i WAS SATISFIED

phil in sofla
05-02-2003, 05:36 PM
Not in the way you mean, I don't think.

Canadian Dan and I had a regular Friday night thing for a year or two, race to 10, and he gave me the 6-out. I got to playing him even with that weight, and I thought that was great, but I didn't put my effort into beating him when I wasn't playing him.

I've had other regular hitting partners, usually involving small stakes (which Dan and I did NOT play for, since Dan gave up gambling and got a much better game as a result, he said), but we're all friends so it doesn't create that burning rivalry.

If anything, it might be the teams in league we see year after year, but I've beaten most of those players my fair share, as has my team beaten their teams.

MikeM
05-02-2003, 06:45 PM
WELL NOW. I guess after I dust that mosquito RJ off of my shoulder, I must next crush you Mister Wesley!

<font color="blue">Lord let my dog turn rabid and attack WesK (or at least hump his leg) </font color>

Kato
05-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Oh yeah, this is gonna be fun. Don't run home tellin' the people up north how bad us South Floridian's treat you on the table. It's a different animal down here. Bring your stroke, you gonna need it.

Kato

Tom_In_Cincy
05-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Mike,
I know how to beat RJ. Get with me as soon as you get to Virginia Beach.. I can show you the many ways RJ can be beat.
RJ.. needs VooDoo's help.. NOW if he is going to have a chance against MIKE.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kato
05-03-2003, 07:50 PM
My friend is the humidity. Northerns that don't get around don't know a darn thing about playing on a sopping wet cloth. They come to find that they have no stroke.

Kato~~~~come MikeM, come to R.J., it's ok, it won't hurt a bit.