PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Fran Crimi
05-02-2003, 06:02 PM
You're playing 9-ball. It's your turn at the table. What would you do in each of the three situations?

1.)
START(
%Al3G2%BD3K7%Cd9R2%DG8K9%EH0O8%FK2G5%GT3H0%HF9I8%I D1P7%P^1F6

)END

2.)

START(
%Hk9E0%ID5M6%Po3G5

)END

3.)

START(
%Hm8Z5%ID2Q5%PE0Y4%Ws0Z9%XE6Y4

)END

Ken
05-02-2003, 06:29 PM
1) Bank the one off the head rail to between the four and five with some draw to leave the cue ball on the head rail.

2) Bank the eight down table near the foot rail with a little right english to leave the cue ball near the head rail. I know, not very original.

3) I had this shot in a tournament last Thursday except the eight was in the jaws. I went rail first trying to go two or three rails for position on the nine. Unfortunately I caught too little of the rail and hit it too slow ending up in the middle of the table (that's what I hear you're supposed to do). Then I missed the cut.
Ken CT

jjinfla
05-02-2003, 06:48 PM
1) I would be tempted to go two rails to get shape on the 2-9. But, there is a big chance of scratching or hitting the 6 and safing myself. I guess it would depend on how the match was going and how I felt.

2) Play safe - 8 ball down table, CB at other end

3) Play the 8 rail first and hope LOL. Only pros like you can draw from the 8.

You should stop eating/drinking too much before sleeping then you wouldn't have these nightmares. Or did these come up in one of your tournaments?

Did I get any right? I am only a "C" player. do I win an autographed picture?

Jake

Barbara
05-02-2003, 06:52 PM
Fran,

Three absolutely great situations that are too realistic!!

I would play safe in the first two and go rail first ont he 8 in the third to get shape on the 9.

Sorry I'm not diagramning my safes in the first two. I'm trying to get used to a new eyeglass pescription and I have to take them off too frequently. It happens with me. I always hate my new glasses and lenses.

But I'd definitely go rail first in the last situation for po' on the 9. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara~~~just waiting to find out I'm wrong in the first two and the same in the third!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
05-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Shot 1
I would go two rails and try to fall on the 2-9 combo. I think that is a big hole between the 6 and 7. I would expect to win from here.
Shot 2
I would go softly two rails with inside english (forward) and try to fall on the bottom rail. I think even if I missed the 8, I would probably not sell out and I am shooting to win.
Shot 3
If I don't think there is a way to get back for the nine, I would make the eight and take the bank on the nine. Going rail first or anything like that would be harder then the bank. I would under no circumstances play a safe.

cheesemouse
05-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Shot 1 > I'd pocket the one and two rail whitey with good speed and hope to get on the 2/9 combo......

Shot 2 > I'd cut the eight to the corner and low right whitey for three or four rail shape on the nine......I would never duck this shot

Shot 3 > If I was in stroke I would cheat the eight to the right side of the corner pocket and fire with high noon for shape......If I was scared I would thin the eight to the middle of the short rail (hoping to get out of the double kiss ) and send whitey down table....the rail first has to be hit perfect in order to pull shape...if it was hill/hill I might just pocket the eight and take the bank so I atleast had one swing at the nine.

DSAPOLIS
05-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Shot #1- There are two or three options here.

option 1 - go for the one, going around 3 rails for the 2-9 combination. I would come in between the 6 and 7 to avoid a scratch,and to avoid breaking up the wall that is there.

Option #2 - pocket the 1 ball in the corner, and bringing my cue ball to a point between the 3 and the rail. From there I would be able to contact the two (going in between the 4 & 5)and replacing the 2 ball with the cue ball, and hiding.

Option 3 - duck the shot completely and bring the cue ball 3 rails to point between the 8 and the 2.

Personally, I stick with the first thought that came to me, which was option #1. Also, it's really not that hard to get in there.

Shot #2 - I have a shot similar to this in Stroke of Genius. It's a tester, but cut the 8 and come around 4 rails for the 9. This is a good practice shot. Practice following two rails on this shot as well.

Shot #3

I would try to bank cross corner on the 8 ball. I would use lag speed, if I miss the bank and the kiss, the 8 will remain close to the rail, and the cue ball will be up table. If I make the 8, I have natural position to come back to the 9. The trick is to avoid the kiss. I would eliminate pocketing the 8 where she lays. That's just my personal preference, yours may differ. If I pocket the 8 and get left tough on the 9, I leave my opponent the table with one ball left. I do not like my chances drawing back, so I'd opt to take my chances on the cross corner.

Karatemom
05-02-2003, 08:48 PM
I took the examples up to the hospital with me this evening and asked Chris what he would do in these situations. This is what he said.

#1. Use low right and use the speed of the cb to land perfect for the 2/9 combo.
START(
%Qs2N7%Rh7[7%SK7A8%Wj7G7%X^9F8%Yr7N6%Zl4G9%[j5Z3%\r7O9%]M0D0
%^i2[3%eC1b1
)END

#2 Use high left, just nick the 8 enough to make it cross corner and send the cb down for the 9.
START(
%Hk9E0%ID5M6%Po3G5%Wr8Y9%Xl7C5%Yl1D2%Zk9D6%[h1C7%\n4G6%]E9T2
%^f5C4%eA5`7
)END

3. There were 2 ways he said he'd do this one. One way would be to just draw the cb back for the 9. The other would be to hit the rail first, pocket the 8, come around 2 rails for the 9.
START(
%Hm8Z5%ID2Q5%PE0Y4%UF9X3%Vc6C6%Wb7[2%XE6Y4%Yl6Z4%Zc6[4%[s1S2
%\m2Z5%]d5D4%^s2R2
)END

Heide, speaking for C.C., LOL

Sid_Vicious
05-02-2003, 09:23 PM
The side pocket in the line for the rail first on #3 makes that shot more of an invention than an obvious routine. The other two shots I'd play agressive all the way, especially with the 3-rail position shot for the 2-9 combo in #1. Shot three would be a thin bump safe leaving the 8 in the middle of the short rail and the CB back down table. Number 2,,,I'd rabbit punch that cross side(a tip low of center) and take whatever shape I was left for the 9 ball, and I believe that shape would be toward the pocket the 8 fell into...sid

Ross
05-02-2003, 09:37 PM
2. This seems like a natural, almost fail-safe safety to me:

START(
%Hk9E0%ID5M6%Po3G5%Wj4D1%Xj8D4%YO3Z9%Zi2C5%]D4P4%^N7[7%eB5a2
)END

roll the cb up to the rail and you may even hide the 8 behind the 9. Of course if you don't hide it you leave a pretty easy return safety, so maybe this approach is not aggressive enough, only delaying the inevitable.

John G
05-02-2003, 09:52 PM
#1 pocket the ball and go 2/3 rails for 2-9 combo, no good safty here, I'd go for the win

#2 cross bank with inside follow. the cue ball only did two things (dependent on ball postions + or - 1/2 inch) It either went into the 9 or hit inside and spun past. both ways had a shot at the money

#3 on a tight pocket table, stop whity and shoot the bank.
standard pockets hit 8 with follow and a little left, always had a shot at my money.

I'm in Popcorn's camp when you have to choose between a tough shot and a tough safty. Always take a shot at your money /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Irish
05-03-2003, 01:17 AM
Why can I never see these table things?

Popcorn
05-03-2003, 01:26 AM
Go to:
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/
May have to download shockwave. Just copy the code and click on paste

Popcorn
05-03-2003, 02:11 AM
I am curious, what prevents you from shooting the shot? The safety does not win the game for you, it places the game in doubt and throws it up in the air for either player. You may never see as good a shot the rest of the game as you have now, why not shoot it? Another thing to consider, shooting the shoot and missing does not automatically mean you will lose the game. You could get a good roll and leave him tough. As well as him having to deal with your safe does not mean you will win. The only thing for sure is, you can win with the shot at hand and for the moment, you control your own fate. I am not being critical, there is no right or wrong answer. I am just curious what is the reasoning behind your choice?

NH_Steve
05-03-2003, 06:35 AM
Regarding the first shot, I agree one hundred and ten percent /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's another way of looking at it: Let's say you can fall on the 2-9 and make it to win 50% of the time if you chose offense. That's a win right away 50%. If you miss execute the shot, even on a bad day you probably win from there maybe 30% of the time. That gives you 50% executing right plus 30% of executing wrong, which computes out to winning 65% of the time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That extra little 15% bonus chance to win is well worth taking into consideration, IMO.

Ross
05-03-2003, 07:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I am curious, what prevents you from shooting the shot? The safety does not win the game for you, it places the game in doubt and throws it up in the air for either player. You may never see as good a shot the rest of the game as you have now, why not shoot it? Another thing to consider, shooting the shoot and missing does not automatically mean you will lose the game. You could get a good roll and leave him tough. As well as him having to deal with your safe does not mean you will win. The only thing for sure is, you can win with the shot at hand and for the moment, you control your own fate. I am not being critical, there is no right or wrong answer. I am just curious what is the reasoning behind your choice?
<hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn, I usually play on a very tight diamond table with pro-cut pockets and slow cloth (unfortunately that is the money table at my local ph). So I assess my chances of cutting the ball in AND getting around for position on the 9 are not as high as my chance of jawing the 8 and selling out or coming up short on position on the 9. Two-railing the 8 to the far end rail is natural and I can do it from the angle shown close to 100% of the time. That is my reasoning. But you are right - after my "safety" I am likely to get a return safety and ultimately end up shooting a shot that is as hard or harder than the one at hand. I probably need to play more aggressively at times!

jjinfla
05-03-2003, 08:28 AM
Actually shot #1 is in Steve's book (which you have) and I was practicing it a couple of hours before you posted the question. Both Steve and Jerry B. in his video show the track lines taking the CB to the first diamond on the long rail and then to the end rail. However, when I shoot it I normally end up closer to the pocket or the end rail. Shot #3 is pretty close to what Corey did in the Mosconi Cup with his super draw. Jake

Fran Crimi
05-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Thanks for your input, everyone. I like testing myself to see what I'd do in certain situations that occasionally come up. Obviously, it's an individual thing, depending on the person's individual strengths and weaknesses, as well as how they're feeling that particular day.

Here's my thinking on those situations:

1.) If the 6 were a little lower, I'd probably go for position for the 2-9 combo. But because of where the 6 is, I see only one line to get the position, which is the cb just barely missing the six to the right (not to mention perfect speed required). It's easy to go too short and come out too sharp. Then you're dead. You're also dead if you hit the 6.

I don't like the odds, so I'd probably shoot the 1 with high ball and bring the cb long near the side pocket, and into the 4. I'll most likely see the 2, and even maybe have an opportunity for a shot-safety for my next shot, hitting the cb into the 2, and drawing back into the 9, maybe pocketing the 9, and leaving the cb on the bottom rail and sending the 2 up table.
START(
%Wk3G7%X^6F6%YI1M4%Z_6[4%[s0L2%\l2G7%]`7[2%^s2L5
)END

2.) If there were a hair less angle, I'd shoot the 4 rail draw shot without hesitation. This is a scary angle for this shot. I've come across this before and because of the cut, you can't get a whole lot of draw on the cb and you'll wind up headed straight off the side rail directly at the 9. Since you have to play the speed of the shot, you could easily wind up sitting right on top of the 9.

I'd probably opt for a 2-rail safety here.

START(
%Hk9E0%ID5M6%Po3G5%Sr3T1%Us2S5%Vn6C5%Wh9C8%Xk1D8%Y J5[3%Zg9C2
%[m8C9%\l8E0%]C5V5%^I2[7
)END

3.) This shot is tricky. I think you would need too much power to play the shot rail-first to try to bring the cb back down table and you'd risk jamming the shot. As for cross-banking it, there's definitely a kiss there, and it'd be tough to beat.

Shooting the 8 and sticking for the bank is an option but that's not such an easy shot with the cb so close to the rail, because there's some jacking up involved. Plus, you're liable to wind up with the cb frozen to the side rail if you do pocket the ball. I think I might shoot a kick safety, thinning the 8 with a rail first shot, bringing the 8 to the back rail, which would give me a natural angle for the cb to travel 3 rails down table to the bottom rail. I figure if they can shoot out from there, they deserve the win.

START(
%Hm8Z5%ID2Q5%Pl8Y6%SB9U8%Ur9U2%Vo6[8%Wo2[5%Xn3Z9%Ys3J5%Zm2Z0
%[l9D3%\s1I5%]L3[1%^l0C3
)END

Fran

Irish
05-03-2003, 01:11 PM
The second shot looks like a fairly easy side bank with tops and a touch of left siding for the shape. Only worry would be hitting it the right weight not to come across and scratch. If you are good at banks even a miss can safe up off the horn of the side. The side bank plays better then 50% for many of the players I play against and I would not want them shooting the shot.

Playing the 2 rail safe will take perfect weight or else you can leave a 2 way shot of playing the 8 ball bank corner and the 9 ball carom off the end rail. A shot I do not want my opponent shooting. I think the perfect safety that is needed is equally as tough as the side bank with shape or the corner cut with bottom right for 4 rail shape. Percentages make me play a pot on the second game.

snipershot
05-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Hi Fran,

shot #1: You could try cutting the one in the corner and going two rails for shape shooting the two through the small window between the five and the nine, this shot would leave no room for error and even if you did make it getting to the three would be an absolute nightmare, I would play safe.

shot #2- With only two balls remaining I would never duck in this situation, I would cut the eight in with lots of bottom right going 3-4 rails for shape on the nine.

shot #3- Ducking wouldn't be an option unless you were playing a low skill leveled player, I couldn't imagine trying to draw back for the nine (maybe you could /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif) so I would play a simple stop shot and try corner banking the nine.

Snipershot

snipershot
05-03-2003, 11:04 PM
Or we could all just use our astro vision /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/

1. I would try to get on the 2-9 by shooting the 1 with a little low running English to come short of the far corner pocket. My main goal is to play it with the correct speed to not scratch.

START(
%QF6D6%RI8J7%SI7H1%Um4Z6%Vr7V5%Wj1G6%X_1F6%Yr7T8%Z k7G8%[K3D8
%\j7[0%eC0a8
)END

I like this route because it gives me options, as well as a good chance to win. If I get the CB to "A", i'm out. If I misplay Po to "B" or nudge the 6 to end at "C", I still have a makeable kick into the 2-9, with a chance of a safe if the 2 scoots up table. Also, with the 4 located there, it doesnt make the position from the 3 automatic.

2.Like you said, 2 rail safe.

START(
%Hk9E0%ID5M6%Po3G5%Sr3T1%Us2S5%Vn6C5%Wh9C8%Xk1D8%Y J5[3%Zg9C2
%[m8C9%\l8E0%]C5V5%^I2[7
)END

3. Here, I would try a 2 way shot. Shooting the CB to kick the 8 in, with enough speed to get the CB back to the opposite end rail. I'm aiming to make the 8 with a chacne to overcut it. Thsi way, if I misjudge, the 8 might go 2 rails and end up at "A".

START(
%Hm8Z5%ID2Q5%PE0Y4%Qq5U7%Wh8[3%XE6Y4%Yl5Z7%Zi8[2%[r9N4%\m0Z0
%]G3T9%^k0D0%eB4`3%_k9C0%`l0C6%as1M3
)END

I tend to be a more aggressive player. These are examples of how I like to sell out the rack /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric

Aboo
05-05-2003, 11:44 AM
This is the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your setup on shot #1...

START(
%AN4E0%BD3K7%Cd9R2%DG8K9%EH0O8%FK2G5%GT3H0%HF9I8%I D1P7%Pn2W6
%Si3U8%WP9E2%Xr9F4%eC4a0
)END

If you shoot that shot softly it would work, wouldn't it? I mean, there are just to many balls down there, and along with the 3 ball, it would be very hard not to tie up that cue ball.

On #2 I would shoot the two rail safety and test my opponents speed control.

On #3, before reading your suggestions, it would depend on the day. I would never take it rail first, as from that far away and that far off the rail that is a very low percentage shot for me. I would either take the shot and shoot the bank on the 9 ball, or attempt to draw off the 8-ball and cut the 9. Again, depends on the day /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I did not see the safety on that shot, very nice. I might try to shoot that now /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Probably a much better percenage than either of my options first.

Would be interested in anyone's opinions on the safety idea on the first shot... would it work?

cheesemouse
05-05-2003, 12:24 PM
Aboo,
The safety on your first shot would certainly work but to many things have to happen, like nearly perfect speed on the 1-ball plus hiding the cb behind the 3-ball. If either if these two things don't happen what you've done if place the 1-ball down near pocket where the 2/9 combo are so nicely sitting. If you give any air to the incoming player he will more than likely beable to reverse it on you with that nest of balls sitting there. Plus what would happen if you accidently make the 1-ball bank in the corner, now you would have trapped yourself down table with 2-ball behind that wall of balls with no good avenue to kick at it...I think the reason most people choice too try and get on the 2/9 combo is that the natural two rail angle off pocketing the one is there and only good speed is required to complete the shot effectively and even if you hook yourself on the 2-ball you will be close in the area for a high % kick......it's just a good offensive situation that the more experienced players would rarely pass on.....IMHO.....but, hey, I rarely pass on a shot that goes..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aboo
05-05-2003, 12:44 PM
You are probably correct. I don't play 9-ball a whole lot, I play mostly 8-ball on bar boxes. Thus, I look for the safeties if the run-out or win is a low percentage for me.
I play a LOT more defense than offense in the long run, I should probably look into evening the two out /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
05-05-2003, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> You're playing 9-ball. It's your turn at the table. What would you do in each of the three situations?<hr /></blockquote>

1.)Probably just go three rails through the center of the table. Looks like the path is there. If not, I might go two rails by the 3-ball and plan to play safe on the 2-ball. Looks like there's window and a nice line to it.

2.)IMO, gotta gun. 4-rail outside, around the world.

3.)Depending on the tables, I'd like to take a crack at drawing straight back. On the tables I was on yesterday, the draw would have been easy for anyone. Well, maybe not anyone.

Fred

Fran Crimi
05-05-2003, 04:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Aboo,
The safety on your first shot would certainly work but to many things have to happen, like nearly perfect speed on the 1-ball plus hiding the cb behind the 3-ball. If either if these two things don't happen what you've done if place the 1-ball down near pocket where the 2/9 combo are so nicely sitting. If you give any air to the incoming player he will more than likely beable to reverse it on you with that nest of balls sitting there. Plus what would happen if you accidently make the 1-ball bank in the corner, now you would have trapped yourself down table with 2-ball behind that wall of balls with no good avenue to kick at it...I think the reason most people choice too try and get on the 2/9 combo is that the natural two rail angle off pocketing the one is there and only good speed is required to complete the shot effectively and even if you hook yourself on the 2-ball you will be close in the area for a high % kick......it's just a good offensive situation that the more experienced players would rarely pass on.....IMHO.....but, hey, I rarely pass on a shot that goes..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Cheesemouse, I think I'm going to have to buy me some of that experience stuff you're talking about because even after reading your advice, I still don't like the shot. Is there an 800 number I can call?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifFran

Fran Crimi
05-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Aboo, I don't think there's a really good safety situation there on the 1 ball. If you look at the path the 1 is taking in your diagram, it's headed straight for the corner pocket. That kind of thing occasionally happens when you're playing a safety headed towards a pocket and the next think you know, it goes in. On the other hand, if the 1 catches the side rail too soon and bumps either the 7 or the 6, you may leave your opponent an open shot. As for the cb, you'd really have to just about freeze it to the 3 ball to really be effective.

The other thing about a safety in that situaion is, that you really want to keep control of the table while that 2-9 is sitting there. You don't want to walk away and let your opponent possibly have a crack at it. Unless you're sure of a killer safe, you'd be better off pocketing the 1 and playing safe on the 2 ball, so at least you're disrupting the combo.

Or of course, you can go for the glory and keep your fingers crossed. LOL

Fran

Popcorn
05-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Just for curiosity, Objectively, what would you say would be the choices of a high powered player like Strickland or Archer? On shot number 2, I do not see Earl, knocking the ball two rails safe, only to see, say, Varner thin the ball and leave him back up table, when he has a makable shot to win. I think on all three shots a top male pro would shoot offensively.

Fran Crimi
05-05-2003, 07:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Just for curiosity, Objectively, what would you say would be the choices of a high powered player like Strickland or Archer? On shot number 2, I do not see Earl, knocking the ball two rails safe, only to see, say, Varner thin the ball and leave him back up table, when he has a makable shot to win. I think on all three shots a top male pro would shoot offensively.

<hr /></blockquote>

Well, if you really want to get techincal, the whole thread is bogus. Your answer, my answer, all the answers are bogus because you know as well as I do that there's a lot more that goes into the decision of whether to shoot or play safe than the layout of the table. There's the table conditions, what type of cloth and how new is it? What size are the pockets, and how have they been reacting to certain types of shots? How are the rails reacting? Are the balls clean or waxed and are they sliding? Is it raining out? And most importantly, how is the player feeling that day about his game?

Now, I just threw up those diagrams for some friendly discussion, understanding fully that everyone is going to have differing opinions. However, when someone starts generalizing that the so called experts would play shots a particular way without even factoring in all the variables that go along with that decision-making process, then I want to know how the heck they can draw those conclusions. Any one of us are likely to change our mind when we're in a game situation depending on the conditions and how we feel. All we can do with this thread is discuss our initial reactions and how we feel TODAY and TODAY only. Don't ask me to try to guess how Nick or Earl feels today.

Fran

Hopster
05-05-2003, 08:18 PM
Don't ask me to try to guess how Nick or Earl feels today. &lt;--Fran

How DO you think Nick or Earl feels today ??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesemouse
05-05-2003, 08:48 PM
Fran,
[ QUOTE ]
Is there an 800 number I can call? <hr /></blockquote>

LOL... I-800-GET-CASH..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
05-05-2003, 10:47 PM
I shoot real aggressively. If I see no possible way to gain position on the next shot, then I'll look at safety play. Looking at the diagrams, I'm guessing I would try to go for it. I wish I had a table at home, so I could try these shots and see if it was possible, and how difficult it might be. (Not to mention that looking at the balls in a real life playing situation might change my decision. LOL)

Shot #1

START(
%Uj7G4%V_0F6%Ws0O1%Xk9G7%Yi9[1%Zs5O8%[K7D2%\h9[4%]F4G1%^J5C4
%eA9`4%_r9C8%`o1E5%al8F7
)END

Shot #2

START(
%Hk9E0%ID5M6%Po3G5%UD8Z7%Vh6C4%Wi9C9%Xk3D5%Ym2F1%Z n6G1%[j9D2
%\k3D5%]H6[0%^j2C5%eB5`1
)END

Shot #3

START(
%Hm8Z5%ID2Q5%PE0Y4%Qq5U7%Sr3T1%Ul3Z6%VE8Y2%Ws0Z9%X E6Y4%Yr8V2
%Zm2Z3%[K5D1%\s5U5%eB0a9
)END

or maybe

START(
%Hm8Z5%ID2Q5%PE0Y4%U`9[3%VE8Y2%Ws0Z9%XE6Y4%Yl3Z3%Za7[4%[g2D1
%\s4L3%]s1M4%^m3Z1%eB5a3%_O3Z8%`[7M7%af2C5
)END

Popcorn
05-06-2003, 08:54 AM
I only posted, because you posted to cheese and seemed willing to discuss (brain storm) the options. I feel if you two rail the ball safe you are going to get the worst of it. Your opponent may thin the 8, putting you back up table. He may be able to bank the 8 and stick for the 9, make a billiard on the 9, maybe even get a combination on the 9. Whether one would choose to use inside english and float down to the 9, or fire it a little harder with outside and go around the table. If you get to the bottom rail with the cueball for position on the 9. Even if you were to miss the 8, unless you hang it, you leave him shooting up table at the 8 and very likely a difficult shot and position. You are right, a lot has to be considered when deciding. I considered a lot and I don't see any top player regardless of the table, or wheather outside the building, playing safe and passing on a very makable shot to win the game. Two railing the 8 does not in any way trap your opponent. If they are a capable player, which I assume them to be, they will get out of it and you will end up on the defensive and maybe worse off. We can discuss the shot objectively can't we?

05-06-2003, 12:29 PM
Fred...after looking at the number of the different replies I was a bit surprised such a majority chose the more offensive option for the 1st senerio Fran posed. I agree with you that playing for the 3 rail safe would have a higher probablity of success. It does look like there is a clear lane available. Going after the 2-9 combo would just be giving into the sirens call and more than likely leaving you crashed on the rocks. Better to drop into that cluster at the bottom of the table with a good chance to pick up a ball in hand on that 2-9, at worst you'll leave distance with the 1 on the head rail.

START(
%Ui3Z4%Vs2N6%WE0I2%XJ9C7%YL2D5%Zh1[2%[m5D0%\l8F0%]r6Q1%^n0C3
%eB8a3%_r9M5%`l1H1%a_0F7
)END

For senerios 2&amp;3 I'd be inclined to go for the shot. The safeties here look to be only even $, so have faith in your strokeand go with whatever shot you have the most confidence in. ...Bob

05-06-2003, 12:45 PM
here's a tought shot i used to get faced with, but i learned how to get out.

START(
%Ar6W7%Po3Z5%Ur3Y2%Vo3Z5%_r8D3%`r5T3%ar6W1

)END

all you need to do to make [censored] shot is shoot the one ball with inside english so that it hugs the rail and va la, your opponet is ready to cry and your smiling your ass off waiting for him to quit and run.

lol, the first time i made that shot i suprised my self, then i started putting that shot in with my practice shots and now i can make it 19 out of 20 times.

Fran Crimi
05-06-2003, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Fran,
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

LOL... I-800-GET-CASH..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Ha! Good one. I thought you were going to say 1-800-SELLOUT

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifFran

Fran Crimi
05-06-2003, 01:31 PM
Hey, absolutely...I may decide to shoot any of those shots myself, but when somebody says that hands down that an experienced player would definitely go for the shot, I've gotta say hogwash. Who do you think taught me those safeties? LOL!

Fran

cheesemouse
05-06-2003, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Fran,
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

<hr /></blockquote>

Ha! Good one. I thought you were going to say 1-800-SELLOUT

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifFran <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'd have to put 1-800-SELLOUT on speed dial.......I also concidered 1-800-GETBALZ.......get it??? LOL LOL.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif