PDA

View Full Version : Can't help but notice.

Popcorn
05-03-2003, 09:28 AM
I can't help but notice the difference in the pool board since one member has departed. There are interesting posts, some brain teasers, "What would you do from here" stuff. Talk about the CCB tournament and many subjects in general. No friction, no bickering, just an interesting board everybody seems to be enjoying. Since I now have a high speed connection, I find myself checking it a dozen times a day instead of once of twice as I used to. I don't mean this to be a negative post, but the difference in the board now, as compared to just a month ago is night and day. It is fun again. I know from being in the bar business, (poolroom of course), for many years, how there were nights when just one guy in the place can have you going home after closing up, wondering to yourself why am I in this business. Then other nights, a nice crowd of people can be so much fun, you wouldn't want to do anything else. Now that I am no longer in that kind of business, I have the choice of the kind of people I choose to be around. That goes even for a board like this, I come here by choice and even without actually knowing anyone here, I like the people that post here. I hope it remains fun and I am glad it is again. I see the difference.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Popcorn,

Great post.

I guess I kinda noticed it, but didn't pay that much attention to the change until you mentioned it in your post.

I am somewhat selective about what I spend my 'free' time doing. I try not to waste any of my 'free' time on the negatives. I have lots of those to deal with during my non-free time.

I ignore a lot of posts/posters when I find they are just a waste of my time.

You are one of the posters I will always read and respect.
BTW, there are more posters in this forum that I continue to read than otherwise.

80-20 rule in reverse. 80% of the CCB posters are worth reading.. 20% are just a waste.

dg-in-centralpa
05-03-2003, 09:55 AM
I agree whole heartedly! While I don't have nearly the amount of posts that most of you have, a month ago I was sort of afraid to respond to anything because of getting reamed out. Since the change, I've been posting more. There have been some interesting and funny posts recently such as First Concert/Best Concert, Funniest Movies, and Worst Songs to name a few. I really enjoy the board now. Keep up the good work! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
05-03-2003, 01:57 PM
Well Tom Cincy and Popcorn, you are both at the top of my list of people who I respect and get good pool stuff from.

As far as the poster in question, no disrespect meant to this person, but I have to agree with Popcorn.

Laura

Tom_In_Cincy
05-03-2003, 02:12 PM
dg,

If you think Wally's posts are funny, you ought to see him play 14.1... (sorry Wally, just kidding)

Wally., takes a day off from moving to go to work and rest.

Hopster
05-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Some guys can get into a beef in an elevator, just their personalitys. Its kind of a shame cause the guy was knowledgable and could tell a story but hey, ego can be a terrible thing.
So long as theres peace, thats the main thing. No one needs that aol name calling s### going on.

snipershot
05-03-2003, 06:34 PM
I couldn't agree with you more, since this "person" has left, the CCB has became a much more enjoyable place for everyone to talk pool or anything else we have on our mind. All the bickering and controversy was giving me a headache and I'm sure it was doing the same to others as well. It's great to see this place back to it's old self again.

Kato
05-03-2003, 07:40 PM
You know what I think is great? I didn't realize it Popcorn but you have 600+ posts. This board is a better place for it. On the first note, this old timer agrees.

Kato

cheesemouse
05-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Popcorn,
I agree and have noticed the nicer tone. Lucky for me I was forwarned about the guy in the very beginning by someone who knew the man.......ironically this same person got caught up in the whole mess.....LMAO

The guy could talk some $hit though..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bluewolf
05-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Yeah, it is more peaceful. But sometimes we run out of topic,some might even feel bored, and then by fate or whatever you many call it, every so often,someone like Larry or Charlie with his advertisement or me in the beginning with the 'going away' thread comes along.

And boy does the S*** start flying. Hey, all human beings like excitement and I think this board enjoys a good lynching from time to time. Personally, I do think that this is human.

jm.02

Laura

TomBrooklyn
05-04-2003, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote popcorn:</font><hr>No friction, no bickering<hr /></blockquote>Sweet.

A thread celebrating the leaving of a knowledgeable guy with generally good intentions; but an excitable guy short on internet savvy, who was only catching on to better etiquette gradually. Do you think your ad hominem engagements helped get him straightened out and posting better; or is your preferred solution to get-rid-of rather than rehabilitate? I consider the absence of such a top pool player from the board a flawed victory at best, or a complete failure at worst.

Party On ...Frictionlessly!

Tom_In_Cincy
05-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Tom,

I don't pretend to know what you based your comments on, nor do I have any idea what you are trying to get across to the rest of CCB, but I only have these conclusions:

Knowledge shared is greater then Knowledge horded.

The aforementioned departed poster boardered on the below:

Contstant name calling, berating and taking a "holier than Everyone" attitude is not a way to win respect and friends.

BTW, I PM'd the poster quite a few times making suggestions about posting. We exchanged emails about the same subject.

I guess its easier to teach an old dog new tricks than an Old person how to use this forum.

I don't know of anyone that likes these types of people:

sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous
adj.
Feigning piety or righteousness

"a solemn, unsmiling, sanctimonious old iceberg that looked like he was waiting for a vacancy in the Trinity" (Mark Twain).

TomBrooklyn
05-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Tom, I don't think I'm holier than anyone. As a matter of fact, I'll stipulate to being less holy than most. Sorry that's what you think. I'm still repulsed by the premise of this thread which kicks someone after they're down.

This is a real person, a devoted pool player, not just words in boxes on a computer screen. A basically good person, just not highly skilled at expressing himself wisely via internet post. But he was learning, albeit the hard way.

Ralph S.
05-04-2003, 10:46 AM
With out making things sound negative, I'll respectfuly say that Brooklyn Tom has a valid point and I agree to a certain extent, but I actually lean a little more toward agreement with initial poster of this thread. Much of the in-fighting and verbal slams seem to have gone wayside.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Tom
The "holier than anyone" reference was made for the recently un-registered poster. NOT you.

Alfie
05-04-2003, 06:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Tom
The "holier than anyone" reference was made for the recently un-registered poster. NOT you. <hr /></blockquote> I, too, thought you were calling TomB "sanctimonious."

And what's this "recently un-registered" remark about? Houstondan hasn't posted in a month but he's still registered.

silverbullet
05-05-2003, 05:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> And what's this "recently un-registered" remark about? Houstondan hasn't posted in a month but he's still registered.

<hr /></blockquote>

I think that a person stays in the database as long as they post every 90 days.

sb

Wally_in_Cincy
05-05-2003, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> dg,

If you think Wally's posts are funny, you ought to see him play 14.1... (sorry Wally, just kidding)

<font color="blue">Hey /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif I did get 82 against that guy. Not bad considering my physical and mental state /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

Wally., takes a day off from moving to go to work and rest. <hr /></blockquote>

MikeM
05-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Tom,

Popcorn, and those who replied, are celebrating a refreshing change of the board. Why try to twist his words? He mentioned a poster's departure as the catalyst for the change, nothing more.

I believe we already celebrated a certain person's departure in numerous other threads.

How about starting your own thread showing your regret at the loss of a knowledgable poster?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
MM

05-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Click here for the real deal (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=70748&amp;page= &amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) on Mr. Low Friction. It would be funny if he wasn't serious. Ah, it's funny anyway.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-09-2003, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SlimJim:</font><hr> Click here for the real deal (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=70748&amp;page= &amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) on Mr. Low Friction. It would be funny if he wasn't serious. Ah, it's funny anyway. <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote George Thorogood:</font><hr>Yeah everybody funny. Now you're funny too /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>