PDA

View Full Version : Pill Pool

Hopster
05-03-2003, 05:48 PM
I was looking at Viking cues at a place near me the other day, seen a few that i liked but the guys numbers were way out of whack. I aksed him if he would meet a price that i saw on the net and he wouldnt go for it.
Anyway, while i was there i picked up the pills for pill pool. Me and the wife were playing and it was a lot of fun. Correct me if im wrong but if you make the other players ball you win and if you make your own , you win, right ? By making the other players if theres only the two of you, you knock him out is how im assuming its played. We even started taking two pills to make it last a little longer. I want to get a few people together to play it, seems better to get a little action going than nine ball.
If youve never played this it is fun, i didnt get the bottle so we used a coffee cup.

05-03-2003, 09:09 PM
no your wrong, in pill pool, if you make your opponets ball, they win & the game is over.

Now here's how we play in philly, each player will get 2 pills one of those two pills set's the breaking order:

Example: if i have 5 and you have 1, the we go in numbered order, 1 breaks unless i or another player have and automatic 16, the other pill is to sit under the rail, while you try to shoot your ball, but if you shoot in your opponets ball, then you loose. and if your opponet shoot's in your ball, you win and they lose. that's the game, but am sure you can double check online for the game rules.

Hope this helped !

cheesemouse
05-03-2003, 09:32 PM
The standard pill pool is played with a max of seven players each drawing two pills(numbering from 1 thru 14) from the pill bottle one pill is put down for shooting order while the other is held secret. The one ball is racked in front and the 15 is racked in the middle the other balls anywhere. Once play begins if you legally make the pill you hold you win the game but if someone else makes your ball/pill you are 'killed' but you remain in the game and the 15 ball becomes your winning ball as it does for anyone else that is 'killed'. The winning player is the one that pockets the pill/ball that he holds. If no one does that the 15 ball is the winning ball for everyone. Some other finer points: use the kitchen when the cueball is scratched, if the up ball is in the kitchen it is spotted, play the cueball where it lays on all other fouls. You can make up your own rules beyound these if you wish, like taking more pills if you don't have seven players.

Hopster
05-04-2003, 12:24 AM
Thanks Cheesemouse, sounds good. You can basically do whatever you and whoever youre playing with agree to do.
I get a kick out of the game, lot of fun.

Rich R.
05-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Another possible game for Pill Pool, meant for more than two players.
Everyone draws a pill to determine playing order, but all pills are returned to the bottle.
Then pills are drawn for the game, one for each player.

You play for a set amount per pill, say $1.00.
Shooting in rotation, if you make the ball matching the pill of another player, that player pays you $1.00.
If you make the ball matching your pill, all players pay you $1.00 each.
Play continues until the balls matching all players pills have been made.
Then repeat. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Predator314
05-05-2003, 06:49 AM
We used to play a variation called "close ball". You got 2 pills. The shooter had to make a good lick on the closest ball to the cue ball. Whoever had both of their balls go in first got the money. It was pretty fun.

arn3
05-06-2003, 06:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> ,,,,pill you are 'killed' but you remain in the game and the 15 ball becomes your winning ball as it does for anyone else that is 'killed'. <hr /></blockquote>

if a player is "killed", are you saying he continues to shoot. then, of what importance is pocketing another player's ball if he can still play? i am perplexed.

NBC-BOB
05-06-2003, 06:21 AM
Years ago I played pill pool and it was fun,with a few players.I bought a set of pills and bottle when I bought my first table and have never used them at home.The balls were played in numerical order and you don't know what your opponents pill number is.You played until all pills that were pulled are accounted for.I think the bca rule book has the game in there rule book. enjoy bob

cheesemouse
05-06-2003, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote arn3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> ,,,,pill you are 'killed' but you remain in the game and the 15 ball becomes your winning ball as it does for anyone else that is 'killed'. <hr /></blockquote>

if a player is "killed", are you saying he continues to shoot. then, of what importance is pocketing another player's ball if he can still play? i am perplexed. <hr /></blockquote>

...I have never played Pill Pool for fun, it is fun but we always had money on the game....if you 'kill' someone they pay you money; that is the purpose... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ex: you have seven players in the game and you all predetermine that pills are worth $1. If you kill someone they pay you a buck as soon as you kill them. If you are so lucky as to have made you own pill everyone on the game pays you a buck, you collect $6. IF you kill two players and then make your own you will have made $8 in that game....repeat as nessessary.....LOL.....great social game....you can play for whatever you all agree on...hell you could play strip pill pool........LOL.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carlton31698
05-06-2003, 06:52 AM
The pill pool game we play is called Kelly pool or quarter pool. You rack 9 balls, and put pills 1-9 in the bottle. Each player draws two pills (if you only have 4 players, more than four players you draw one pill). Then you play a ring game. If you make one of your opponents ball they give you a quarter, it someone makes your ball you give them a quarter. If you make your own ball everyone playing gives you a quarter. Whoever makes the nine gets fifty cents from everyone playing. If you have the #9 pill and make it you get $0.75 from everyone. you can play for more as long as the payout percents stay the same. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif