PDA

View Full Version : Connelly Tables

03-25-2002, 10:42 AM
I would like to hear from anyone who has played on or has taken a serious look at Connelly's tables.What is your opinion?

rackmup
03-25-2002, 12:00 PM
Nice table for the house, not commercial quality, won't compare to GC's, Diamond or any other top quality table.

They are known more as "furniture" or "decor" tables. Don't get me wrong...good for banging balls but wouldn't have one if I were serious about my game and wanted it for practice at home.

The rule:

Practice on what you play on.

Regards,

Ken (used ta sell 'em fer a livin')

MikeM
03-25-2002, 12:22 PM
I have an 8 ft Connelly at home and the room where I play has 22 9 ft Connelly Ultimates. Personally I think they are a great table. I know the owner of the PH swears by them. I don't have a lot of experience playing other tables (I've played on GCs a couple of times), but IMO Connelly compares well to any.

Ken, What brands did you sell?

Mike

rackmup
03-25-2002, 12:46 PM
...sold Connelly for three years. Some rooms have them but they will not be the in the majority.

Again, not a knock on the table and the quality...IMHO, you should practice on what you play on...if the majority of tables are Connellys, buy one.

Regards,

Ken (wants a GC!)

Doctor_D
03-25-2002, 02:03 PM
Good afternoon:

You want a Gold Crown and one of my Predator BK Break Cues. Getting a little pushy are we not?

Dr. D.

rackmup
03-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Diana,

I have a belief that if you are going to wish for something, why waste it on something piddly. Now, when will I see that BK at my front door in the hands of a UPS driver?

Regards,

Ken (not sure how to spell "piddly")

Doctor_D
03-25-2002, 04:52 PM
Good afternoon Sir:

Delivery can be arranged, via Federal Express even, once you have made me an offer I can not refuse and then only after said payment has been wired to my account. Just a small, reasonable request of someone who desires what this lady has to offer.

Dr. D.

03-25-2002, 09:27 PM
Giddiap, I used to sell Connelly home tables and they are high quality home tables. The only reason I don't anymore is the high freight costs on small orders - I'm a small dealer. We've had Connelly Ultimate's in our poolroom for 6 years and we're getting ready to replace them with Gabriel's. NOT because they aren't a great playing table - but there are a few problems uniquely inherent to the Connelly Ultimate model in comparison to all the other top commercial tables on the market.

First a huge problem with all Connelly models including the home models is that balls WILL occasionally pop out of the center back of the RC Designs leather pockets on shots going straight in to the pocket. The Connelly and RC Design technicians will tell you it's due to improperly installing the pockets, but not so - we've tried everything. I have such a problem with this, that we've had to set a house rule for tournaments that when this happens we consider this a made shot and the ball is placed back in the pocket. Why should a player be penalized for a perfect shot due to a pocket defect?

The 2-inch thick slate (as opposed to 1-inch or 30mm thick on all other tables) on the Ultimate plays different than any other slate bed you'll ever play on. Problem is the slate is so solid the balls bounce easily. It's hard even for good players to keep the cue-ball on the table on the break shot until they realize they simply cannot elevate their cue at all and shoot at a hard speed - as they can effectively do on other tables to control the cue ball. Add to that the lively Artemis rails in which the rail nose seems to set a little lower than some other brands, and you thus have a table in which recreational bangers simply cannot keep balls on the table surface.

Although I know they are now available with a laminate surface, our Ultimate rails are hardwood rails with a flat surface. They get beat up by cues, balls, and the lack of curvature invites customers to place drinks on the table rails. We sent back all the rails to Connelly to be refinished last year - but they are already beat up again less than a year later. Bottom line - you simply can't use a hardwood rail in a poolroom unless it's Diamondwood.

To summarize, Connelly is a quality name for a well built home table - with the exception of the pocket problem. The Ultimate (though a great playing monster of a table) certainly has some drawbacks mentioned above as far as being a viable commercial poolroom table. JMHO - Chris in NC

03-26-2002, 11:36 AM
OK,this table will be for my home and I want a quality table.There's not much to choose from in this area,the Brunswick,Olhausen and Gandy dealer is a jerk(I usually call him something else!!!!),then there's the low quality Steepleton tables.You dealers tell me what you think,I understand your opinion will be somewhat biased but I'd like to hear it anyway.I'm interested in a Regulation 8'(46"X92")Thanks everybody!!!!!

rackmup
03-26-2002, 01:56 PM
Dr. Diana,

I appreciate the offer but in the midst of the trauma you caused me the other day, my wife, in an attempt to bring me out of my "dark, dark, place", purchased one for me, complete with a second shaft.

I hold no grudges against you, after all...we used to be "very, very, close."

I still love you but your PBK will have to remain in it's locker at Amsterdam.

Sincerely,

Ken (or as you used to call me..."Pookie")

heater451
03-26-2002, 03:24 PM
Although it appears that you've decided against them already, I wanted to mention one other thing about Connelly tables that I've heard from a dealer.

I was told that the frames for the Connelly tables have mitered (sp?), glued and nailed corners, which don't stand up to expansion/contraction very well, and may cause the table to all but fall apart where it stands. (Maybe, this design has been fixed by now. . . .)

As another option, you might look at www.amfbilliards.com (http://www.amfbilliards.com) .

03-26-2002, 08:02 PM
For what it's worth, I had a friend years ago who thought very highly of the Kim Steel tables. He said that they played like the GC's but stayed true to level (unlike the GC's). Since I have never even SEEN a K Steel, I cannot testify as to the validity of his opinion. Anyone else out there know??

Doctor_D
03-26-2002, 08:06 PM
Good evening Ken:

Just in case you have not realized it already, your "new" wife and I have been comparing notes. How else would I know NOT to rush off and send you a cue you did not need?

Pookie

Dr. D.

rackmup
03-26-2002, 09:03 PM
You're so sweet. Sneaky, but sweet just the same.

Love you,

Ken

Doctor_D
03-27-2002, 07:00 AM
Good morning Ken:

Sneaky, NO. Covert and Tactical, YES!

Dr. D.