PDA

View Full Version : Do you play better in a Team or for Yourself ?

bigbro6060
05-03-2003, 09:53 PM
I put a lot more pressure on myself when playing in the team because i just hate to be the one who lets the team down. I think i do play just marginally better in a team than when playing for myself

05-03-2003, 11:02 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Sometimes, I play my best for my team. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I always prefer to play better individually /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9 Ball Girl
05-03-2003, 11:15 PM
I prefer the individual thing myself. I have played on teams and there is that "I don't want to let my team down" pressure going on, but the advantage of being on a team as opposed to by yourself is that someone on your team can always carry you should you play poorly.

But on the flip side of that, when you're on your own, then the screw up is on you and you don't have to worry about losing it for the team. JMO

Nick B
05-04-2003, 12:11 AM
Doesn't matter...you wanna play teams...find a baseball
diamond.

Nick

Karatemom
05-04-2003, 12:24 AM
I play better in a team environment. I don't know if it is the confidence that my team gives me, that I don't have during singles play, or what it is, but I'm much more comfortable, and seem to shoot better, when I'm with my team.

Now playing partners makes me very nervous. So I pity the poor person who draws me at the CCB tourney, /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I worry about getting the cb in the right spot for my partner.

Heide

dg-in-centralpa
05-04-2003, 11:53 AM
I can play either way. I always hated to play doubles. I always got stuck with a partner who either shot aggressive or didn't know how to play safe. I hated to lose on a mistake that I didn't make.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-04-2003, 12:45 PM
BigBro,

Team play has always been fun for me. I enjoy the fellowship, I have learned alot from the better players on my team(s) for a long time. I started playing APA Bush league in the 80s and really enjoyed it all the time.. But, I was lucky. We had a team that finished 1st place almost every session. Great balance between skill levels. Great coaching and some really good practice sessions. We met twice a week for practice, went over games during regular match sessions, analysed our strengths and weakneses and generally had a very positive attitude.

I felt that my play as a team member wasn't any different than my individual efforts. I always went into a match wanting to play my very best. Its the "I love this game" and "just happy to get a chance to play" mindset that we all enjoyed.

I don't ever recall having the "don't let the team down" feeling, although it might have been there, I just don't recall. (old age?) Nor did I remember anyone on the team feeling that way.

Popcorn
05-04-2003, 01:10 PM
By myself for sure. Mainly because of the choices you have to make when playing. If you look at the thread on "what would you do", You see how different players may think differently. I don't want someone else causing me to second guess myself, because I am worried about what they may think. I don't even like stake horses or side bettors. If I go down in flames, I don't want to be responsible anybody but me. I know players that will throw away a stake horses money and could care less. If you are a player that cares, in team play, it is hard not to feel bad when the loss is your fault. I think team play is hard for that reason.

05-04-2003, 02:37 PM
I haven't really played on a team before, but I seem to play better generally when there are people around.

05-04-2003, 03:51 PM
Never played on a team and never will--unless invited to participate in Mosconi Cup.

1-P

bluewolf
05-04-2003, 04:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> I put a lot more pressure on myself when playing in the team because i just hate to be the one who lets the team down. I think i do play just marginally better in a team than when playing for myself <hr /></blockquote>

I used to be like that real bad but the way it is now is, if I tried hard and played a good match, it is okay if I lose.I have learned that I am not expected to win everytime. That was self-imposed pressure rather than from the team.

Now, being on a team is good for me, because I may be asked to play a match. This motivates me to practice more. If I was not on a team, I am pretty sure I would be very lazy and not practice much.

It is fun to see friends too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

bigbro6060
05-04-2003, 09:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I can play either way. I always hated to play doubles. I always got stuck with a partner who either shot aggressive or didn't know how to play safe. I hated to lose on a mistake that I didn't make. <hr /></blockquote>

I also hate the doubles part of teamplay, Luckily it's a minor thing

with my league, it's 6 players per team. each players plays 4 games (4 X 6 = 24), plus there are 3 doubles , making it best of 27. It rarely goes down to the doubles (we've usually won the nite by then /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I see doubles as a more social thing rather than a competitive thing and it is the different attitudes to strategy which i most dislike. Having said that i have a cool guy for a partner and we basically discuss every shot either of us takes.

UWPoolGod
05-04-2003, 09:09 PM
I have only played in one county fun league in southwest WA. I played for my friends bar and most of the players on my team have been playing for 30 years but play like they just picked up a cue. So I was not expecting much out of it. I just had a $20 bet with a teammate, an old gambler from Yakima, WA, of who was going to have the higher winning %. I won the money. But it is just frustrating to sit there, know that the team is going to lose the match, and be happy about it. I love pool for the individuality of it. It is on my shoulders if I lose. Especially when you are playing a total of two games a night. I will have to think hard on if I want to play for a team like that again. More than likely not.

Todd

bluewolf
05-05-2003, 04:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr>
I see doubles as a more social thing rather than a competitive thing and it is the different attitudes to strategy which i most dislike. Having said that i have a cool guy for a partner and we basically discuss every shot either of us takes. <hr /></blockquote>

I never liked doubles in tennis either. In pool, where I need to be totally focused on what is going on on the table and tryiing to play smart and well, I think another person would be a distraction.

So I agree, if playing doubles, it would have to for me be just for fun so that I would not be mad at my teamate for potting the wrong ball for shape on the next or them getting mad at me for similar things.

Laura

Predator314
05-05-2003, 06:17 AM
I'm definitely a better indivdual player. I shoot much more relaxed. I do have a pretty good team I shoot on though. I just don't care too much for team events.

Ralph S.
05-05-2003, 06:24 AM
I prefer playing singles. Team is no problem either. I seem to shoot equally well in both settings. My problem is in the monthly district tournaments that I play in every month. They are 8 ball partners. The problem is my partner is my best friend, but doesnt take well to advice. He doesnt like to lose but also does little to progress his play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif I will most likely be trying to pick up a new partner for next season.

pooldaddy9
05-05-2003, 06:33 AM
I enjoy both ways. I prefer to play head-up but with the crowd here you have to play a lot of doubles, so that everyone gets a chance to play. Only one table. Only home tables around here. All the poolhalls closed down several years back. We are usually playing partner eight ball or king of the hill nine ball.