PDA

View Full Version : Walter Tevis books

Hopster
05-04-2003, 12:34 AM
I was browsing Amazon.com and came across the two books by Walter tevis, The Hustler and The color of money. Price is $11.16 each. If youve never read them i recommend them.

eg8r
05-04-2003, 12:38 AM
No need to read, I saw the movies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <~~~sarcastic

LC3
05-04-2003, 01:21 AM
I just read The Hustler and am halfway through The Color of Money. They're not just pool novels, but good literature. The first book differs in a few significant points from the movie. The second one, up to page 82 of 236, is completely different from the movie. One of Eddie's opponents ordering a Drambuie and potato salad -- Grady Matthews' line in the movie -- is the only similarity I've found.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post and thought you were asking for a recommendation.

cuechick
05-05-2003, 09:19 AM
The books are so different from the movies and for a pool fan much better. Tevis was a pool fanatic and you get much more into the head of Eddie as a player. Hollywood made the movies more mass audiance friendly by playing up the relationships and down playing the pool.
IMO: If you love the game you owe it to yourself to read the books.

JPB
05-05-2003, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> The books are so different from the movies and for a pool fan much better. Tevis was a pool fanatic and you get much more into the head of Eddie as a player. Hollywood made the movies more mass audiance friendly by playing up the relationships and down playing the pool.
IMO: If you love the game you owe it to yourself to read the books. <hr /></blockquote>

I think COM was not only a much better book than movie, but the book was way better than the book form of the Hustler. OTOH, The Hustler was a classic film, it was a better movie than book - akin to One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Amazing cast. Gleason did an amazing job. Look what he did in the movie with like 2 pages of script. Usually the movie is worse, but not in the case of the Hustler IMO. The movie COM, however, was an utter failure compared to the book. It's too bad they didn't stay true to the novel. Gleason was still alive then, if he was well enough to do the movie they should have paid him a huge amount to be in it. That would have been so amazing to see him in that role at that stage of his life. Instead we got Tom Cruise doing a very mediocre job on a hybrid character. I have always wondered if they tried to get Gleason or if they just went immediately to appeal to the bubble gum crowd.

So my ranking of the 4 pieces is : (1) Hustler Film (2) COM novel (3) Hustler book (4) COM movie.

Popcorn
05-05-2003, 10:27 AM
I always thought the same thing about Gleason. Even if he were not well at the time, he could have made a cameo appearance. A meeting between him as an older Fats and Fast Eddie would have been a memorable scene. Gleason was a very good actor and we can only imagine how great it could have been. You would think there would have been at least a reference to Fats. Maybe someone just saying something to Eddie about Fats, some reference and maybe even a flash back from the first movie to tie them together, like in the Godfather.

Hopster
05-05-2003, 01:39 PM
I agree, COM was a great book, much better than the movie. I really didnt even care for COM the movie that much anyway.

05-06-2003, 07:57 AM
I remember reading on RSB that COM might not even have been written by Tevis himself, for it was so bad... (a certain Mr. Jewett wrote this, IIRC)

Anyway, I didn't really like COM, though any pool novel is fun to read!

landshark1002000
05-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Hi Hopster:
Great subject!

I preferred the films.

Tevis tells the story; explains the motives; leaves little room for the reader to "discover" his characters.

Both screenplays SHOW the story; let you decide the motives; and make greater use of symbolism.

Tevis is more direct; to the point; he just tells you what to think.

Naturally, the books have greater length and more detail. Movie scripts have to hit the highlights with fewer scenes and dialogue.

Every person differs in how they enjoy a book or a movie. I just liked the movies more because they could be enjoyed at different levels by a variety of viewers. I thought the movies had layers to discover. Tevis was skin deep.

Ted from Phoenix

Mr. Blonde
05-07-2003, 08:29 PM
i haven't read the hustler but i've read the color of money novel like 5 times and have seen the movie countless times.IMHO the movie is infinitely better than the book, i mean think about your comparing a mediocre writer in Tevis to probably the greatest American director of all time in Martin Scorsese.

Rod
05-07-2003, 11:28 PM
I have COM like new since the 80's. I still haven't read one page. Maybe I'll get around to it one day.