PDA

View Full Version : Played in my first handicapped tournament

Predator314
05-05-2003, 07:07 AM
I played in my first handicapped tournament yesterday. It was a 9 ball tournament. The way the handicaps were set up were as follows:

There were 4 shooting levels (3's, 4's, 5's, & 6's). It was a loser break format and you raced to your shooting level. The only time it wasn't loser break was if a 3 was shooting a non 3. The 3 got the break.

I was put in as a 6, so I had to spot games (and breaks) to everyone I played except in my last match. I ended up getting 4th (I got beat by a 4 and a 6). It was a pretty tough format because you cannot let up on anyone. Even the weakest player could take you down.

I've been shooting for over 10 years now. This was my first handicapped tournamnet. They just don't have them in my area.

jjinfla
05-05-2003, 07:24 AM
I enjoy the race to your handicap tournament better than the spot ball tournaments. Especially if they limit it to 6's or 7's and under. They had one every saturday but unfortunately they dropped it. Now they do have a race to your handicap on sunday's but it is open to everyone and when the really good 9's or 10's enter then it is pretty hard to come in the money. But it is okay in that it really shows how much there is still to learn in this game. Especially when an 8 or 9 mops the floor with me and then I see someone who is around the shortstop level mop the floor with him. It makes me wonder just how good the pros really have to be. Jake

Fred Agnir
05-05-2003, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> It was a pretty tough format because you cannot let up on anyone. <hr /></blockquote>Is there a tournament format that you can let up on anyone?

Fred &lt;~~~ loses when he let's up

L.S. Dennis
05-05-2003, 08:41 AM
The most popular handicapp tournament here on on west coast is by far the USPPA. You can check their web site at usppa.com and you seel everything on it. The system has been around for at least 15 years and still going strong.

They participate in the huge Sands Regency affair twice a year and have since it's inception.

Predator314
05-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Yeah... there are a few around my area that do not handicap. There are certain matches (locks) that allow you to try different things and not have to worry about losing.

stick8
05-05-2003, 09:28 AM
I have game room. and run handcap tourny wed-sun, my rating is also to your rating. 3-4-5-6- etc. workes out good for us. I have rule if you finish in money 2 out of 3 tourny you go up one.also if you finesh 1st in 16 man field you set out 1 tourny. if you finish 1-2 in 32man field you set out 1 tourny.Had christmas party for my customers this christmas, plus pool tourny. had 56 pool players. lo lo shot pool all night!!!! fun had by all, STICK

bluewolf
05-05-2003, 10:31 AM
I think all the apa, bca, handicapped tounies are trying to not made the beginners feel so bad.My husband is die hard for the handicapping system.

I am not sure what I think. I can see advantages to both, handicapped and nonhandicapped. Like I play on a team as a certain rank. When I am a little better, if I went to some of the women's CAT tournaments, it would be a 'just take your licks' type situation.

I think that there are potentials for learning and meeting kool people in both situations.

Laura