PDA

View Full Version : USOpen vs Vegas

SPetty
05-05-2003, 10:39 AM
There are those of us who have to "work for the man" for a living, thus getting only a limited number of "vacation" days a year to do what we desire to do with our lives. I know there are many CCBers in the same boat.

When making my vacation plans for this year, I chose to attend the BCA Amateur 8-ball tournament with the associated Pro 9-ball tournament in Vegas in May rather than the USOpen/CCB tournament in September. You get more than a week's worth of all the pool you can handle - either playing or watching pros or amateurs that are as good as pros!

I am somewhat perplexed that there seem to be more CCBers going to the USOpen tourney rather than the BCA tourney.

Why is that?

Do we as a group prefer to watch pool rather than play pool? It also seems that it is an either/or proposition - it seems that few are attending both events. Is anyone attending both?

For next year, should I reconsider my 2004 vacation plans and go to the USOpen rather than the BCA tourney?

With all sincerity,

-- SPetty

Scott Lee
05-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Susan...I think it is more geographic than anything. You'll notice that the majority of CCB'rs signed up for the tournament live on the east coast. There are a few from the midwest, but I think it is just logistics. It is easier for some of those folks to take a fews days closer to home, than fly out to Vegas for 7-10 days. JMO

Scott

Tom_In_Cincy
05-05-2003, 11:03 AM
SPetty,

I think its a 'location' thing. Lots of east coast, eastern timezone CCBers are just closer and can just come for a long weekend.

I would like to attend the BCA Vegas tournament sometime.

Rich R.
05-05-2003, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> There are those of us who have to "work for the man" for a living, thus getting only a limited number of "vacation" days a year to do what we desire to do with our lives. I know there are many CCBers in the same boat.

When making my vacation plans for this year, I chose to attend the BCA Amateur 8-ball tournament with the associated Pro 9-ball tournament in Vegas in May rather than the USOpen/CCB tournament in September. You get more than a week's worth of all the pool you can handle - either playing or watching pros or amateurs that are as good as pros!

I am somewhat perplexed that there seem to be more CCBers going to the USOpen tourney rather than the BCA tourney.

Why is that?

<font color="red">Scott and Tom have it right. It is mostly location. </font color>

Do we as a group prefer to watch pool rather than play pool?

<font color="red">BCA does not seem to be too big in my area. Almost all leagues are APA. If I went to Vegas, I would still be watching, "which is not necessarily a bad thing." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

It also seems that it is an either/or proposition - it seems that few are attending both events. Is anyone attending both?

<font color="red">Like you said, most of us "work for the man." Therefore, we have to make a choice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif </font color>

For next year, should I reconsider my 2004 vacation plans and go to the USOpen rather than the BCA tourney?

<font color="red">I'm sure both events are worthwhile and very different. Maybe some day I will get to Vegas and maybe you would like to try the U.S. Open some time. It is not good vs. bad. It is all good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

With all sincerity,

-- SPetty
<hr /></blockquote>

9 Ball Girl
05-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Susan, I intend to go to both next year. Like we say in Spanish, Que Se Joda! That said...

Wendy~~~Feliz 5 de Mayo /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato
05-05-2003, 11:23 AM
I have limited vacation days and more importantly, limited funds. Why I go to the Open vs BCA's? 2002 Open was a great time and believe me when I say I will eventually hit the BCA's and Derby City. For me it's more about the people and less about the pool. Sure I watch 10 hours a day and play 4 and we go out to meals and drinks together. It's also an East Coast trip so I can take my car. The pool is super, the people super. Lot's of Northeastern'ers go and that's where the majority of my CCB friendship base lives. I'll run smack dab into you one day Susan, just not this year.

Kato

Eric.
05-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi Susan,

I think the reasons that more people go to the US Open are that alot of CCB'ers are within driving distance of Virginia making it a little more schedule friendly. Also, depending on the locale, there may not be a BCA league, which makes you eligible to enter the Singles event only(i.e. Me.

Personally, I think the BCA event is a little more fun because there is more pool to be played forthe Amateur. Also, hanging out in Vegas ain't so bad either!

Eric &gt;will be in Vegas and VA.

Karatemom
05-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Hiya Susan. Living smack dab in the middle of the country, it doesn't matter where we go, it's all about the same distance away - FAR! One of the reasons I joined a BCA league was to play in Vegas this year. We would have gone to Vegas this year, but circumstances didn't allow. So what's the next big tourney, the Open, so we'll be there this year instead.

I know that Chris has certain goals that he would eventually like to reach, and seeing as how he's already competed in Vegas, the next one he is available to play in is the Open, so that made a bit of difference as well. Now we've got Derby City and Valley Forge to go as well. Two down, two to go, LOL. There's a big one here in Chicago too coming in October I believe. We might try to hit that one as well.

I will miss, however, the magic beer sucking carpet (Geez that was funny), Rip's blinding toothy grin and polished shoes, Spidey's gadgets galore, and all the fun that everyone else was, but we'll be here missing all of you and wishing you all good luck. Make sure you have a beer for me, and also, spill a little for Chris, wouldya? LOL.

Heide

Rod
05-05-2003, 02:38 PM
SPetty,
As mentioned it has a lot to do with location. IMO the pool capitols of the US are in the eastern states. I'd never thought about BCA not being big back there either.

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Well if you want to win the CCB open then yes by all means! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

~~~ rod, if I lived in Vegas then it would be my geographic location. LOL

cuechick
05-06-2003, 07:28 AM
"BCA does not seem to be too big in my area. Almost all leagues are APA. If I went to Vegas, I would still be watching, "which is not necessarily a bad thing." "

FYI
A lot of people do not know this, but you only have to be part of a BCA league to play in the team event or scotch doubles. ANYONE can enter the singles....

To answer Susan's inquiry,
I agree, it is mostly logistics I am sure. I don't think I'd really compare the two. Vegas is a 'being' onto itself.
It was this big mysterious thing to me, till I actually went. For those of you who have never been I will say you can find great deals on rooms, Vegas can be quite a bargain. MY share of my room is just 20.00 a night! I have spent more for a weekend regional event than my 8+ days in Vegas!
It is a big time commitment though, luckily I set my own time clock!

9 Ball Girl
05-06-2003, 07:37 AM
Lara, is MudHoney going to defend their title this year?

Aboo
05-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Heh, no doubt /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I live in Kansas City Missouri, and can't go to either one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Someday though... someday!!

cheesemouse
05-06-2003, 01:37 PM
SPetty,
Since your going for sure would you do me a small favor?...The BCA is introducing a new cueball that is magnetic, the same size and weight as the object balls and it is suppose to remain round. The favor is: could you find out how these cb's can be purchased and/or whether the Valley vendors will be incorporating the use of these new cb's nation wide? Given the past history of the vendors I suspect they won't incorporate there use if it cost them a penny...I couldn't resist the snide remark...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

preacherman
05-06-2003, 01:43 PM
Per conversation with the BCA office, these cb are not available to the public. Will they be available to the public? Supposed to be sometime in the future. Time will tell.

Jim
www.geocities.com/pool4christ (http://www.geocities.com/pool4christ)

cuechick
05-06-2003, 03:35 PM
There is a strong women's team coming from Amsterdam, with 3, I think of the original Mudhoney team. I am rooming with one of them but forgot to ask if they were using Mudhoney or had started from scratch? I think they will have a great chance. I did not have time to qualify before my move. I really did not think I'd be going to Vegas at all; but decided to enter the singles.

9 Ball Girl
05-06-2003, 06:17 PM
So who are the ladies that are going? Good luck! And BTW, congrats on your win at Murphy's Brass Rail! Keep it up!

cuechick
05-07-2003, 07:57 PM
I am not sure of the whole line up, Iknow Caroline, Gina , Heather and I think Liz, unless she got in the pro event? Also Ellie. They will be playing as Mudhoney I found out today from Gina.

Thanks, Murphs is my home room and it's great. They have a ton of tournaments. Ilove jumping in my car and 10 minuts later I am playing pool.