PDA

View Full Version : Getting Mixed Up In The Wrong Side Of Pool

Ketchup
05-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has ever been in my boat. I've been playing seriously for about 2 years. I started making pool my life. I'd rather gamble than pay rent on time. I started missing work so I could go watch big money matches. I couldn't stand to leave the pool hall in fear I would miss some action. My game improved quickly, as did my addiction. I got worse as time went by. I finally got fed up with my lifestyle. Pool was my passion, my drug. I miss the game greatly. I quit to get my priorities straight. I want to start back but control my gambling and playing time. I have a beautiful woman who I plan to marry and a beautiful daughter. They have shown me the meaning of life instead of pool. I played A.P.A. for the first time a few years ago. Our team won city's, and went to Vegas. We placed 17th-24th. Could of done better but we got jacked up 3 times, our handicapps that is. We just lost our next match on purpose and took the money. That was the funnest time of my life.

eg8r
05-06-2003, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My game improved quickly, as did my addiction. .... I quit to get my priorities straight. I want to start back but control my gambling and playing time.<hr /></blockquote> I hope I don't come across as rude or insensitive, but...Why in the heck do you need to gamble when you start playing? If you know you have a weakness with gambling and you obviously feel it might strain your financial situation and affect your gf and daughter, don't do it. I would suggest saving your money, buy a table or the house and play there. Invite friends over to play, or go to the pool hall. Just make a commitment not to gamble any more.

For everyone else, I am not saying gambling is wrong, I am just saying for this particular situation with a known addiction, it is wrong. Gambling is similar to any other addiction. Nothing is inherently wrong with alcohol except if you are/were an alcoholic. Gambling is the same thing.

Good luck and think about your family before making any decisions.

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
05-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Hey, I was wondering where you'd been hiding.

I wasn't exactly in the same predicament as you, but I was staying out late everyday in poolrooms. And I don't mean staying out til 1am, I'm talking where I'd get home and it was time to wash up and go to work! Then there were the times I'd get home having only about 3 hours before having to get up to go to work, going to sleep and waking up in frenzy 'cause I was running late. I got spoken to twice at work about my "tardiness" (yeah, they knew where I was). But that was a year ago and I'm good now. There were those rare times that I'd get into work really early and my coworkers would say, "Oh, stopping in on your way home from the poolhall?" LOL But, I'm better now and my body is thanking me for it.

I don't think it's the "wrong" side of the pool world, you just have to learn when to say enough is enough.

Ketchup
05-06-2003, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the responses. I just need to limit myself. Half the time when I would just practice I would want to gamble for the pressure and excitement. I have my priorities now..

Predator314
05-06-2003, 11:41 AM
I wouldn't call it the "wrong side of pool". I call it a passion for the game. I have spent many nights shooting sets until the sun came up. There have been a few times that I would come home just in time to go to work.

I don't do that as often anymore (although I came close Sunday night). I just hated taking a couple of days catching up on sleep. Plus with warmer weather coming, it's harder to find a game in my area.

05-06-2003, 12:21 PM
man, i used to spend from 9pm untill 10 or 11am the next day at the poolhall, and mind you the poolhall closes at 4am, so for me and a few others to still be in their, it was something serious, eventually i learned the hardway, yea everything about my game got better, but i was actually hurting my self, i did'nt want to go to work because i was to tired, all i wanted to do was just sleep and shoot, lol but seeing as how you have a family i'd say cut it down losing your family over pool is'nt work it, and besides even if you get a table you'll still go to the poolhall. I have a table here at home, but the competition is at the poolhall not at home.

I REALLY THINK WE NEED A " POOL SHOOTERS REHAB "

WaltVA
05-06-2003, 12:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ketchup:</font><hr> ....as did my addiction. I got worse as time went by. I finally got fed up with my lifestyle. Pool was my passion, my drug. I miss the game greatly. I quit to get my priorities straight. I want to start back but control my gambling and playing time. <hr /></blockquote>
You need to separate playing pool from gambling. If playing APA league satisfies you, OK, fine, do it. Playing one or two nights a week 'till 11 or 11:30 shouldn't cause you too many problems.

But you say "but control my gambling and playing time." You liken your problems to an addiction, a drug. Those I know who have had problems with addictive behavior know that they can't control an addiction. The first step to recovery is realizing that you are powerless to control your (drinking, drugging, gambling, etc.)

If you can play without the "action buzz" desire awakening, the game won't hurt you. But if you really miss the buzz, and the ph action scene late at night, the gambling will put you right back where you were very quickly.

You've mentioned some strong incentives not to revert to your old lifestyle. The game won't hurt you in moderation, but the gambling will. If you can keep them separate, good. But there's no way to have a moderate addiction.

Don't mean to sound preachy; JMHO on a subject that's close to home for me.

Walt in VA

cuechick
05-06-2003, 03:55 PM
If you want pressure and excitment, try tournaments. I aggree that gambling is an addiction, if you want to kid yourself that you can keep it under control, then your the sucker WC Fields talked about. What you described, sounded like a classic acholic, I would not mistake that for passion.

Tournamnets can give you that thrill, in more controled doses. Also, leave your cash at home if your tempted to bid on others in the calcuttas.